Can not Update - Failed to Find Version

edbro
edbro
Community Member

I got notified of an update to 1PW on my Mac but when it tried to update it says it failed because "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application" What's up with that?

1Password 7
Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• That message can result when 1Password is unable read the CFBundleShortVersionString from the application bundle. I'm not coming up with any ideas why that would happen.

You can get the latest installer here:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

7.2.1 is the latest version currently. Are you receiving beta updates?
    Check your 1Password preferences > Updates, and make sure you are not unintentionally on the Beta channel.

• jmills
    jmills
    Community Member

Immeditately after updating the OS to Mojave the downloader downloaded itself. I clicked on it and got the same message. I am on version 7.2.1. Checking preferences, I see I the checkbox of for "Include beta builds" is not checked. 1PW is working fine. At this point I will assume this may have something to do with the OS upgrade and there is nothing amiss unless you let me know otherwise.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jmills - thanks for the heads-up. As long as 1Password is working fine for you, and assuming it picks up the next update, you shouldn't need to do anything else.

• roosterstoker
    roosterstoker
    Community Member

I too am having the same problem,,,and have reinstalled new password 7.2.2 , In my applications, it showed zip file, which I unzipped, now I have original version and#2 1password showing up as1password 7-1.app . when I go to menu , check for updates, it says I am up to date, however, I do get a 1password icon called 1Password Updater showing up in my Dock, whereupon clicking show popup " Update failed, Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application.
    I have to admit,, somewhere back a couple of months or so,, somehow, by mistake, I think I deleted a file I believe called 1Password updater, which I believe was a separate file in Applications. I thought that somehow it was already a file that was included in the main file menu, and therefore didn't need to be there. That is where all my trouble started. I would like to find a way of doing a clean install, and perhaps by doing so, would have things the way they were meant to be, where I either automatic, or by going to menu, I could manually look for update. I thought by going to download a fresh App reinstall, the missing Updater file would install or overwrite, and I could uninstall the old 1Password App. Otherwise, I am getting that pesky notice about failed update, when in reality I am updating. Not a huge problem, but I guess I am a perfectionist. Thanks for any help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roosterstoker: 1Password or Mac version 7.2.2 is the current stable release as I write this. The 1Password Updater icon is not an indication that there is an update available; it's the part of 1Password that checks for, downloads, and installs updates. You'll see that in your Dock if you have the "recent apps" feature enabled, and you have not opened other apps more recently than the last update check. From your description, you don't seem to be having a problem. It sounds like 1Password and macOS are working as designed. Can you clarify?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

7.2.2 may have been the current stable version when @brenty wrote his post this morning.

But an hour or so ago I was prompted to upgrade to 7.2.4 which now seems to be the current stable version.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018

@danco - thanks for the follow-up. :) 7.2.4 is indeed the latest version, as of right now, 10:49AM EST and 37 seconds. ;)

• roosterstoker
    roosterstoker
    Community Member

thanks @danco, I see what you mean. Looks like the Recent App,1password updater is in the dock as a result of going to Menu and looking for any updates. I guess I was clicking on that recent update icon and seeing failed to find the version popup. I will just disregard that Recent in Dock,, as it gave me a sense that Update wasn't working. Apart from that everything is A ok now,,, also downloaded the new version this morning. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@roosterstoker - that's a new feature of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) -- Recent Applications will appear in the Dock now, just as they have always done in Apple menu > Recent Items. Only now, it's visible on the desktop. With 1Password, the updater is a separate application from the actual 1Password app itself. When you check for updates within the 1Password app, if any are found, that updater will download and install it. That's why it appears in "recent applications" -- because it's recently been used to download an update. But if you try launching it manually, it will fail because there IS no update (since you just downloaded it recently). If you don't like the feature, you can turn it off in System Preferences > Dock - just UN-check the box marked "Show Recent Applications in the Dock." If you don't want to turn that off, then my advice would be: just don't click the updater in the Recent Applications section of your Mac's Dock. As soon as you open other things and close them, those things will take the place of the updater, as the dock only shows the last three most-recently opened/closed items. Hope that helps. :)

• richardlabelle
    richardlabelle
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Thank you - Lars "@roosterstoker" - I had the same problem with the 1Password Updater (well I thought it was a problem) but it is not indeed. Thanks for your excellent and detailed explanation about how it actually works. "Problem" solved.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@richardlabelle - you're quite welcome! Glad this thread helped you, and don't hesitate to drop by if you have any other questions. :)

• stagrlee
    stagrlee
    Community Member

Good discussion! It would be nice improvement if updater would remove itself from the dock, or, if not possible, at least realize it is getting invoked out of the correct context and give a "don't touch me" type of error code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have control over that behaviour, since the "recent apps" feature is Apple's not ours. But some folks disable it entirely, since it is different from the way things used to work with the macOS Dock.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stagrlee - to follow up on brenty's point, if it bothers you too much, the option to disable it is in System Preferences > Dock, down near the bottom. Un-check the box marked "Show recent applications in Dock."

• stagrlee
    stagrlee
    Community Member

You do have control of this message --> "Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application". That is a symptom of incorrect invocation where I started the app, not 1Password invoking the app. It is a confusing thing to happen. It made me think something dropped a new version of 1Password onto my system and I had been p0wned. Users don't want unexpected behaviors and weird error messages around a piece of software trusted with all their secrets...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@stagrlee - we do indeed, but you're conflating two issues here. The first is that of the updater (actually a small application) remaining in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”)'s new "Recent Applications in the Dock" feature, and the other is the message you've just now asked about. As chadseld mentioned earlier in this thread, that could happen if 1Password can't read the CFBundleShortVersionString from the application bundle. So far, you're the second person (out of millions of users) who've contacted us about that (that I'm aware of). I'm not arguing it isn't confusing, but it isn't (as far as I can tell) dangerous and given how rarely it happens, would likely be a function of an individual setup. If you'd like us to have a closer look to see if we can see anything about your setup that might explain such a thing, you're welcome to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/96290/can-not-update-failed-to-find-version
    • Your forum username: @stagrlee

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

We'll take a look and let you know what we can find.

This discussion has been closed.