Default Strong Password Generator length?

bdmclean
bdmclean
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Of late, all my passwords generated via a form fill using an "identity" are 50 characters long.
I don't recall this as being the case in the past.
I can adjust the length of the password to a shorter length and regenerate it but
it still defaults back to 50 next time.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    bdmclean, hi and welcome to the forums! No, you're not missing anything. We saw a couple reports of this yesterday as well. We're checking into the issue and will post more information when we have it. Thanks!
  • Brendan12
    edited December 1969
    Hi

I am experiencing the same problem (have for a while actually).

1Password Version: 3.2.2 (build #30657)
    Mac OS X Version: 10.6.4 (10F569)
    Active Keychain Format: Agile Keychain
    Agile Keychain location: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    Number of 1Password files: 361

Regards
    Brnedan
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Are both of you using Safari 5?

I have not seen this issue in any other browser, just Safari 5.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just for the record a few have reported this from FF and I myself have seen this in Safari 4 and 5
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    From another thread

justG wrote:
    I think that Chad has pinpointed the issue and resolved it. The changes he's made to the password generator should be evident in the next 3.2 beta.

[Edit] I'm sorry! This information is inaccurate. Chad did indeed make some changes to the password generator, but it was to fix a different bug that was reported. We have still not been able to reproduce this problem on demand, so we still need to figure out what's going on before we can fix it.
  • Cottser
    Cottser
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I've been experiencing this for a while myself. On 10.5 and 10.6, Safari 4 and 5.

I'm definitely thankful for the Fill Last Generated Password shortcut, but still annoyed by having to change this every time.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    1PW 3.2.3 Beta fixed this for me.
  • Cottser
    Cottser
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The issue still remains for me when using the 3.2.3 beta.
  • Cottser
    Cottser
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Stu,

It looks like I was already on the stable version yesterday. Anyway, I restarted my browser again just now, opened up the Strong Password Generator, changed it from 50 to 12 characters, and clicked Fill (with no page open). I'm assuming here that Fill will save my settings. I'm not sure, but opening up the SPG before filling the identity I was able to confirm the length of 12 characters.

Then I went to https://www.myopenid.com/signup to test identity filling. I pressed the keyboard shortcut, Cmd-Opt-1, to fill my primary identity. The password it filled was 50 characters, and opening up the Strong Password Generator it again showed 50 characters. Same thing happens if I right click and choose the identity from the 1Password menu.

It just will not stick. As soon as I fill an identity it maxes out the password. I've also tried removing and reinstalling all browser extensions. Anything else I can try?
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Cottser wrote:
    Stu,

It looks like I was already on the stable version yesterday. Anyway, I restarted my browser again just now, opened up the Strong Password Generator, changed it from 50 to 12 characters, and clicked Fill (with no page open). I'm assuming here that Fill will save my settings. I'm not sure, but opening up the SPG before filling the identity I was able to confirm the length of 12 characters.

Then I went to https://www.myopenid.com/signup to test identity filling. I pressed the keyboard shortcut, Cmd-Opt-1, to fill my primary identity. The password it filled was 50 characters, and opening up the Strong Password Generator it again showed 50 characters. Same thing happens if I right click and choose the identity from the 1Password menu.

It just will not stick. As soon as I fill an identity it maxes out the password. I've also tried removing and reinstalling all browser extensions. Anything else I can try?

Thank you for the wonderful walkthrough! I was finally able to reproduce the problem. I'll let the developers know and we'll see what we can do in an update. There's nothing that you can do to change the code's behavior so please don't try removing or reinstalling anything.
  • Cottser
    Cottser
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Marty,

That's great news. Glad I was able to help.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Cottser wrote:
    Marty,

That's great news. Glad I was able to help.

Maybe we'll name the bug fix in your honor. :)
This discussion has been closed.