1Password will not accept my master password in my setup process for the app on my iPad through .com

Options
rickharrell1
rickharrell1
Community Member

I am setting up through 1password.com but it will not accept my accurate master password in the set up process. Email and secret code is correct. So it the master password.
Rick

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password will not accept my master password in my setup process for the app on my iPad through .com

Comments

• Saleana
    Saleana
    Community Member
    Options

Rickharrell1,

I want to make sure that I am understanding you correctly so I can assist accurately. You are attempting to log in to your 1P account and are having trouble with an incorrect master password?

Saleana

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickharrell1: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Unfortunately the email address and Secret Key, et al, being correct doesn't guarantee that the Master Password is. Keep in mind that you'll need to enter the Master Password you chose when signing up for the 1Password membership. The app itself will unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup there...which can be different if you did not use the same one when signing up for the membership account. There is no harm in trying repeatedly, but you will need to enter the correct Master Password for that in order for it to work -- just like the combination for one safe will not work on all other safes. Let me know how it goes.

• rickharrell1
    rickharrell1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reaching out to me with your answer. This helps me clarify my request. We have a family account. My son is the first vault. I downloaded the app to my iPad and my wife's (the second and third vaults in the "safe house.")

When I tried to use the app on either, I used my Emergency Kit secret code, my email address, and my Master Password (the same one I began the relationship with on my MacBook Pro - and it still works for this.)

Does this help clarify where I have gone astray? What email address, what secret code, and what password do I open the app with the first time? The first vault owner's email, secret code, and password (which I have) or mine?

Then, the next time I use the app, do I use my data?

I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
    Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickharrell1: I'm not sure what you mean by this:

What email address, what secret code, and what password do I open the app with the first time? The first vault owner's email, secret code, and password (which I have) or mine?

But maybe an example helps. I have a few different local vaults and 1Password accounts. They all have different Master Passwords. No matter what, if I setup the 1Password app on, say, my iPad with a local vault, that will be the Primary vault there, and I will need to enter its Master Password to unlock the app. Again, I have other vaults and accounts, and I can add those too; but it's the first one which determines the Master Password needed to unlock.

So if, on the other hand, I setup 1Password with only an account, I will need to enter that account's Master Password to unlock it. If I add other 1Password accounts there, I will also be able to access their data in the app, but I will still need to enter the Master Password for the first account in order to unlock the app. Does that help?

I also don't understand what you're describing here though:

We have a family account. My son is the first vault. I downloaded the app to my iPad and my wife's (the second and third vaults in the "safe house.")

With a 1Password Families membership, each family member you invite gets their own account, with a Master Password of their choosing, a unique Secret Key, and a Personal/Private vault which only they can access. Is that what you mean by "the first vault"? If so, your son's "first vault" -- the Personal/Private vault -- will only be accessible in his 1Password account. You would need to sign into your own 1Password account using your unique Secret Key and the Master Password you chose in order to access your own Personal/Private vault, along with any others you have access to (like the default Shared vault, which is available to all family members).

Then, the next time I use the app, do I use my data?

If your son is signed into the app with his account on that device, no. You can only access your own data when signed into your account.

This discussion has been closed.