1PW master password works online, but not on Windows computer

Options
cappy
cappy
Community Member

I’ve installed 1PW on my Wife’s Windows 7 laptop, added her as a family member in our family account, created a master password for her, and shared several logins in a shared vault.

I couldn’t unlock 1PW on her windows system, and went through the recovery process to create a new master password.
. I even took a picture of her master password, before pressing enter (which I will delete once this issue is solved)
The new password will not unlock 1PW on Windows 7, but works fine at 1password.com.
I’ve been very careful to type the password slowly, and make sure I press shift at the appropriate letter.

This is very strange

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I’ve figured out what happened, but I am at a loss as to why.
    I was finally able to login to 1PW on my wife’s windows computer, but I had to use the PREVIOUS master password. ( I had taken a picture of this too, before submitting). Keep in mind, I have already gone through the recovery process online, generated a new master password and secret key for my wife. Why is it that this information wasn’t in the 1PW on her laptop? If I hadn’t found her previous password, I wouldn’t have been able to login.

It seems as there’s a serious glitch in the recovery process.

• Hey, @cappy! This is actually expected behavior for the moment. When 1Password for Windows is locked, it doesn't know that you've completed recovery for that account, so it's still wanting the Master Password it knows (and that most folks going through recovery won't) – the old one. As such, normally our advice would be to reset your Windows app in order to sign in with your new account details and actually complete the recovery process. This is something that will be improved in future updates.

You knowing the old Master Password added a bit of an additional wrinkle here, however. As I mentioned above (and you noted as well), most folks going through recovery won't know their old Master Password. They're recovering their account because they're locked out. If you know the Master Password, there's no need to recover an account when you have it added to a desktop app – you can find your Secret Key in your app, so you have access to all of your account details. In your case, you can instead enter that old Master Password to unlock, then click the red error banner you should see at the bottom of your app. That will prompt you to sign in again with the new Master Password and Secret Key created during the recovery process. Although this will work, this absolutely isn't what we expect folks to do under normal circumstances. We know that's usually not possible (which is exactly why you've gone through recovery) and normally, you'd need to reset your app.

We actually are working on updating our documentation to better guide folks going through recovery. It's been a bit of a sticky issue to resolve because the simplest process will be a bit different depending on how you've set up 1Password. Starting over is best when you only have one account added to your app or you've forgotten the Master Password for the first account you've added, but there are cases where folks who have added more than one may be able to unlock their app still, meaning that process will be a bit different for them. One such case would be if you added your Family account first, but also added a team account for work then forgot the Master Password for that team account. You'd need to recover your work account in order to choose a new Master Password, but you can still unlock your app so going through the same process I just noted you could use knowing your old Master Password would be much easier. Instead of having to add both accounts to your app again, you just update your work account in your app with that new sign-in information and you're done. Ultimately, the best solution is to make this process simpler overall so that 1Password can prompt you for new sign-in information in all cases, but until we make those changes in the app, we definitely do need a better guide here and it's something we're working on as we speak.

I hope this helps things make more sense and I do apologize for the confusion. Sometimes, things that make things easier overall (like being able to use one app with multiple accounts) end up making things a bit more complicated in certain cases. I still think being able to use multiple accounts is a net good for usability, but it did present a challenge we didn't quite meet when it comes to documenting the recovery process. We need to do better there and I hope we have some clearer documentation for y'all that will avoid this sort of confusion in short order. :chuffed:

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

This is actually expected behavior for the moment

This can’t be. What’s the point of doing the PW recovery if you expect users to magically remember their old password, after going through the pains of creating a new one?

I didn’t remember that I had the picture of the original password, when I started down the path of creating the new one.
    I fully expected that creating the new password would let me log into my wife’s 1PW account.

This is quite maddening, NOW knowing that disaster recovery will not work.

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

No no no. Erasing the data is not the solution. This is not part of a sensible recovery path.
    I cannot believe this is policy.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

This can’t be. What’s the point of doing the PW recovery if you expect users to magically remember their old password, after going through the pains of creating a new one?

I didn’t remember that I had the picture of the original password, when I started down the path of creating the new one.
    I fully expected that creating the new password would let me log into my wife’s 1PW account.

This is quite maddening, NOW knowing that disaster recovery will not work.

I think you misunderstood @bundtkate's reply. The instance of 1Password on your computer does not know that your Masterpassword changed after the recovery since it locally caches the old data. If you reinstall the app locally or delete its data cache (as described in the link that @bundtkate posted), then you'll be able to login with the new credentials with no problem.

This does not mean that recovery does not work and this does not mean that erasing data is the only solution if you can recover the account via the family.

• Ben
    Options

@cappy I'm not sure I could have said it better than was said above. Did you get a chance to review?

Ben

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

@cappy

Erasing the data is not the solution. This is not part of a sensible recovery path.
    I cannot believe this is policy.

You're not erasing the data in the account, only the locally cached data on the device. Think of it like clearing browser cookies. You'll get all the data back as soon as you log in with the new password.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't get notifications of these replies, so apologies for the late reply.
    I was able to restore my wife's 1PW data with a new password, but it wasn't as easy as I would have hoped.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @cappy! I am happy to hear you were able to restore your wife's data :)

it wasn't as easy as I would have hoped.

Did you follow the instructions we shared with you earlier in the discussion? If so, what were the step/s that you found difficult?

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

It was too long ago for me to remember what I did. I believe I followed the steps provided, but had problems.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @cappy! If you need anything else, we are always happy to help :)

Have a wonderful day :)

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

To all of the awesome Agile Bits support team, "Have a wonderful week!"

• cappy
    cappy
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben "I'm not sure I could have said it better than was said above. Did you get a chance to review?"
    I agree with Peacekeeper. I must have misunderstood the reply. It did come as a shock when I read it, as I was lost as how to restore the data in my wife's account.

I miss the days of telephone support. So much can be lost in text-based support mediums.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words @cappy! I'd love to see us be able to offer a real-time support option but we simply don't have the resources to keep up with the demand that would create at this point. Maybe in the future. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.