1P updater updated automatically on standard account without admin password. Should that happen?

wpl38
wpl38
Community Member

I normally operate on a standard user account, and have always had to enter an admin password for 1P updates. This morning I woke up to find a notification "IPassword Updater: Update Installed. Now running 7.2.5". I did discover that I have automatic updates turned on, but truly automatic updates should only work if I'm logged into the admin account, right? Why was the updater able to complete its update without me entering an admin password? Shortly after seeing the notification, a window popped up telling me the 1Password 7.2.5 Update was available and telling me I was running 7.2.4. That momentarily confused me because I thought I'd just gotten notification that I'd been automatically updated to 7.2.5, but then I realized this was for 1Password itself, not the updater, and it was the normal behavior: I had to enter an admin password to complete the update.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:automatic update on standard account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@wpl38 - I'm sorry for the confusion. Sharp eyes! What you've experienced is actually something that we've got an internal issue open for right now, because you're correct; under proper conditions, you'd be asked all the time. What appears to be happening now is that if you switch user accounts and enable beta builds under certain conditions, the binary can get switched from root/admin ownership (which is what it should be, and what prompts you for an Admin password in order to run), to user/staff, which obviously doesn't require admin perms. It's nothing dangerous, and it's something we're working on making sure behaves properly, but that's the explanation. If it bugs you too much, you can Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) then delete 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of our current 1Password 7 for Mac installer and run it. This should reset the permissions on the 1Password binary, and get you back to what you expect. And keep an eye on updates, to see when this issue (apple-2989) is fixed. Thanks again, and have a great rest of your week! :)

ref: apple-2989

This discussion has been closed.