Can't sign into 1Password via a browser

! have a user who is unable to login from his browser, who normally does this regularly. He is just using the browser, not the extension or the apps or 1Password X. (I'll get that straightened out later so he actually gets to use the AutoFill feature.) In my Admin login, I can see no problems with his account. It thinks he doesn't know his master password but he hasn't changed it and the browser knows his Secret Key. He's using Chrome and he's running Windows 10. I could try Recovery but it seems unnecessary and perhaps risky if he knows his password. He can't install the apps because it wants him to login first before downloading them.

1Password Version: web
Extension Version: na
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• Hi, @rcphmc.

Does the user have any special characters in his Master Password? I recently discovered that Chrome on my Mac will not allow me to type the character ü, for example, because it does not allow the Option-U keyboard sequence. But it doesn't beep or anything so if I weren't paying attention, I would think I typed ü when I really just typed u. If it's not that, he could try one of the other suggestions here:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If nothing works, recovery is probably the best option. It's not risky; he'll just be able to pick a new MP.

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

I doubt he has special characters. He's been logging in like this for six months. All of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. It's very odd.

• Hello @rcphmc,

I think that recovery is the best option at this point. If there is no known reason why 1password.com would be rejecting or malforming his password then I think we will need to assume that the master password is incorrect.

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

So we did recovery and the user was able to recover the account and create a new password. However, after that, it is the same problem - he can't login to his account. We've tried on multiple computers now also. He enters the sign-in address, his email address, the Secret Key, and his password - and then it says "Your sign-in address, email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect." in red letters at the bottom.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@rcphmc - there are four things that must be correct in the browser each time you sign into an account for the first time:

1. the URL - if this is a 1Password Business account, it will have a dedicated prefix, NOT "my.1password.com" but "(chosen name of account).1password.com
    2. the sign-in email - this must match the one used by the team member when he signed up. And it also must be in the list of allowed domains in the Admin Console.
    3. the user-chosen Master Password
    4. the randomly-chosen Secret Key

I'd make sure that this user's Secret Key matches exactly the one he received when his account was recovered. It will start with A3, followed by a dash, and then six characters (either capital letters or numerals). So, like A3-X3MMH9. If these first numerals don't match, it's the wrong key. Make sure you're using the one generated for the recovered account, not the old one. Also make sure that if he's using a different email address to sign in than the one typically used by people at your company (different domain, for whatever reason) that it's in the "allowed domains" list (must be an Admin or Owner to check this). And finally, make sure he's not inadvertently using my.1password.com instead of whatever the sign-in URL subdomain for your account is. Let me know what you discover.

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

I've done a screen share with him and all 4 of these items are correct. We use Teams and so we do have a dedicated URL and although that item is ambiguous on whether to use the https:// or not, we've tried it both ways. So I have all 4 items matching and it still won't let him log in. Remember, we even recovered the account and he created a new password with the new Secret Key. And it hasn't worked on two different computers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rcphmc - OK. I'm sorry for the continued trouble, and if you're 100% certain that all four of those parameters are correct, then at this point, I'd like to ask you to have this person create a diagnostics report from his Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With the email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/495085#Comment_495085
    • Your forum username: @rcphmc

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

He should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

He uses a PC. He does not have the 1Password app installed at this time. He is logging in via a browser.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rcphmc - thanks - I see you all have gotten in touch via email; let's continue the conversation there in private instead of in this public forum. Thanks! :)

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

Thanks, just to share our results for the benefit of the community, we had to do recovery on his account multiple times. The last time, at the recommendation of 1Password Support, we used a very easy password. (However, setting the password after recovery was always successful, regardless of the password. Logging back in after recovery was a problem.) Using the easy password worked and he was able to log back in. Then he was able to change his password to something more secure and successfully log back in. Hopefully, this helps someone else if they encounter this odd situation.

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

I appreciate everyone who made suggestions and offered help!

• Thank you, @rcphmc.
    That is a bit of a strange scenario but thank you for updating us. I'm glad they have been able to update their Master Password to something a little more secure and continue using 1Password again. Whatever we can do in future to support you, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.