Installer won't start -- have tried several times

I had 1Password4 installed and working then it stopped working a few days ago. I uninstalled it and have downloaded 1Password7 but the installer will not run. I have downloaded it 4 times but when clicked the installer will not run. I tried run as administrator but it still will not start. I am running Win 10. Please advise how to get 1Password7 installed.

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aetherly
    aetherly
    Community Member

So, the forum is the fastest way to get support -- yet I haven't heard anything since this morning???

• Hello, @aetherly, and my apologies for the delay. As you might imagine, we have quite a few folks doing just what you are right now and we aren't quite as speedy as we'd like. I hope you can forgive us. 🙏

If 1Password 7 doesn't appear to be installing when you run the installer, it's likely that you gave 1Password 6 a try in the past and it left behind some spare folders giving 7's installer trouble. I'm sorry for that hiccup - we've got it fixed up internally, but until it's out to the world, we'll need to give 1Password 7 a bit of a hand here. There are two ways to do this. If you know you used 1Password 6 and that you have data stored in 1Password 6 you'll need to access, install this version of 1Password 7 instead:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.2.617.exe

Once installed, you can allow it to update to the latest version. 👍

If you know you don't need any data stored with 1Password 6, you can instead remove those leftover folders, including any data stored in 1Password 6. Keep in mind, this will not affect any 1Password data stored on Dropbox or elsewhere on your filesystem. It only impacts the local database for 1Password 6 located at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data. If you're certain you don't need that data:

1. Open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA% to search, and press enter.
    2. Look in this folder for a 1Password folder. If you don't find one, stop here and let me know.
    3. If you do find a 1Password folder, rename that folder to 1Password - old.
    4. Rerun the installer.

Either of these should get 1Password 7 installed for you, but if you run into any trouble or have questions, just let me know. 🙂

• aetherly
    aetherly
    Community Member

The second method worked, but for your documentation, I was only on 1P ver 4 not 6 so the issue must extend to 1P ver 4 as well as 6. Hopefully this will help the next person. I had been hosed for 2 days working very unproductively without my passwords. So glad to have them back.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@aetherly: We are glad to hear that it worked! Sorry for these troubles.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.