password changes not showing on other devices

DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

Today I was forced to change a password for my university email. I edited the 1pw entry on one of my macs. Now, 2 hours later 2 of my ipads still show the old password.

I have noticed this several times recently but did not have time to ask about it. what is the problem? What is the fix?

Also there isn’t a category for general questions except “lounge”, whatever that is.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password changes not showing on other devices

Comments

• Hi @DoctorDan,

The Lounge is for topics that may not be directly related to 1Password. You’re in the right spot. :) What service are you using to sync 1Password on your devices? Are you using a 1Password membership (subscription) or are you using a 3rd party service: Dropbox or iCloud?

If you aren’t sure please check in 1Password for Mac under 1Password > Preferences > Sync (or 1Password > Preferences > Accounts if using a membership).

Please let us know.

Ben

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Are you using a 1Password membership (subscription) - yes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DoctorDan: Thanks for confirming! Do you perhaps have a Primary (local) vault on one or more of your devices? This would be completely separate from a 1Password.com account, so that could explain why you're not seeing the same data everywhere. Let me know what you find. :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Some of the devices have a vault called “primary” but as far as I know I don’t use it. Can I/should I delete it?

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Is the primary vault what you call a local vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Some of the devices have a vault called “primary” but as far as I know I don’t use it. Can I/should I delete it?

@DoctorDan: Yep. If you're using a 1Password.com account and you have all of your data there (you can verify this by signing into the website to view it), you can and should get rid of the Primary vault to avoid confusion like this since that will be completely separate from your account.

Is the primary vault what you call a local vault?

The Primary vault is one local vault. If you have any local vaults, there will be a Primary, as that will be the first. It's not possible to have other local vaults unless there's a Primary.

The last part of the account migration guide goes over removing the Primary vault after signing into your 1Password.com account on each device. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Thanks for that info. I will delete them.

• Great. Please let us know how it turns out. :+1:

Ben

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@Ben
    When looking at the account migration guide, for iOS is says:
    iOS
    Sign in to your new account.
    Tap Settings > Vaults > Primary.
    Tap Delete Vault.

I have Settings > Vaults > Personal
    and no option to delete that. I am upgrading from version 4 to version 7. This device is an iPad.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmjenn: I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do. But, based on what you're seeing, it sounds like you do not have a Primary (local) vault on that device, and therefore do not need to delete it there. Is that the case? Are you signed into your 1Password account on the iPad?

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@brenty I have the following devices:
    1. Dell Lap top (the primary - this is where I did the initial upgrade of 1Password from 4 -> 7). Changes and additions to passwords have been made here. No issues.
    2. Samsung laptop. Also upgraded to 7. Changes made in #1 do not show up.
    3. iPad - Have scanned the setup code. Changes to passwords made in #1 do not show up. All appears as if I am signed in, however, under Settings > 1Password Accounts, when I click on my account I see all the needed information, but the "Sign Out" is grayed out and not accessible...so possibly I am not signed in? If so....then I am clueless as to how to "sign in".
    4. Another iPad and an iPhone. Same issue as #3 - however on the iPhone I am able to "sign out".

When I used 1Password 4, my vault was stored on dropbox. However, I can see that was not changed since 2/20/19 - when I first started this upgrade process (due to the Chrome extension no longer working).

Also - my subscription status is "Trial Mode" - would that be the cause of the issue?

Please let me know if more information is needed to help get me past this so I have a working product on all my devices!

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@brenty
    Wondering - do I need to delete my files from drop box so that my other devices use what is now in my 1password 7 account?

I am confused as to where the saved passwords are coming from....and I am just not seeing any information in the "help" files.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lmjenn: Thanks for the additional info!

I have the following devices:
    1. Dell Lap top (the primary - this is where I did the initial upgrade of 1Password from 4 -> 7). Changes and additions to passwords have been made here. No issues.

Can you confirm which vault has all of your current 1Password data?

1. Samsung laptop. Also upgraded to 7. Changes made in #1 do not show up.

My question above is going to be very relevant for this. If you're making changes in a vault that isn't setup on the other devices, it won't appear on those.

1. iPad - Have scanned the setup code. Changes to passwords made in #1 do not show up. All appears as if I am signed in, however, under Settings > 1Password Accounts, when I click on my account I see all the needed information, but the "Sign Out" is grayed out and not accessible...so possibly I am not signed in? If so....then I am clueless as to how to "sign in".

No, that's a good sign. It means that you only have that single 1Password account setup in the app -- no local vaults, and no other accounts -- and therefore it won't allow you to sign out, as then you'd have nothing at all. :)

1. Another iPad and an iPhone. Same issue as #3 - however on the iPhone I am able to "sign out".

That sounds like you have either a second account or a Primary vault there then. Please check.

When I used 1Password 4, my vault was stored on dropbox. However, I can see that was not changed since 2/20/19 - when I first started this upgrade process (due to the Chrome extension no longer working).

Any local vaults, including those sync'd with Dropbox, are completely separate from a 1Password membership account. So we need to establish where your data is, and then move it to your account (if it's not already there) to make sure you can access it on all of your devices just by signing in.

Also - my subscription status is "Trial Mode" - would that be the cause of the issue?

Nope! You'll have access to all of the features during the trial. After that, the account will be frozen -- accessible but unmodifiable -- unless you subscribe.

Please let me know if more information is needed to help get me past this so I have a working product on all my devices!

Sure thing! Let me know where you have all of the data you want currently, and I can give you instructions on how to get it setup so you can access it on the rest of your devices. :)

Wondering - do I need to delete my files from drop box so that my other devices use what is now in my 1password 7 account? I am confused as to where the saved passwords are coming from....and I am just not seeing any information in the "help" files. Thanks

It isn't necessary to delete the vault in Dropbox to use a 1Password membership account...but until you actually move your data to the account it won't be available there. Anyway, let me know and we'll get you sorted. :)

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the reply on what to look at...I have an event tonight but will follow up on Thursday with what I see. (Didn't want you to think I fell of the face of the earth!!) :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lmjenn - no worries! Take your time. We're not flat-earthers here anyway, so we wouldn't have suspected you fell off the planet. ;) Let us know what you discover.

This discussion has been closed.