1Password 4 does not support Chrome 72 or later [1Password 7 is available]

1235»

Comments

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Windows are still available

Could you please tell me how can I find a standalone license of 1Password 7 for Windows 10. Thanks!

I didn't find any information on official page: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@leonid812 - it's beyond the scope of this forum (and not really my place anyway) to opine on competitors' products or their advantages and disadvantages. But suffice it to say that our architecture is significantly different from any of our major competitors, and we were not subject to either of the issues mentioned in those articles (which is why you don't see our name there). That said, security is a process and not a product; no system or OS or application is 100% secure under all conditions; if it were, everyone would already be using it and that would be the end of such concerns. If you've read through the white paper brenty linked to in his previous reply and have questions about how any of that helps keep your data on our servers safe from remote hackers (particularly the Secret Key), we'd be happy to help.

If all you'd like is instructions on purchasing a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows, simply download and install version 7, and at first run, you'll see the purchase options screen. Make sure to click the link at the bottom that says "need a license? We have those too," like this:

You'll be taken to our FastSpring store in your browser, where you can purchase a license for the "launch special" price of $49.99, over 23% off the regular retail price of $64.99. Hope that helps! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mzman - :) :+1:

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member

Make sure to click the link at the bottom that says "need a license? We have those too," like this:

Lars, will I have the permanent license for 1password 7 in this case? Or I will need to pay money monthly/yearly? What's about multiply devices support? Can I use this licence on my home and on my work computer in parallel?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@leonid1812 - you will have a permanent license for 1Password 7 for Windows that you can use on as many PCs that are capable of running version 7 as you own/use -- so, home, work, wherever else you need. Your license will never expire, but it's only for 1Password 7 for Windows, not for Mac and not for any future versions. You'll get included updates within version 7 (like from 7.3 to 7.4, etc) free of additional charge. And when version 8 comes out, you'll need to re-purchase.

• lucci
    lucci
    Community Member

Lars says:_ Your license will never expire, but it's only for 1Password 7 for Windows_
    I think this was mentioned when I bought 1Password 4. Obviously it will expire when Chrome or Windows change their codes. A user will be simply pushed to upgrade. IT's absolutely a very unpleasant trick of asking the existing customers for paying something twice. :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @lucci!

I think this was mentioned when I bought 1Password 4. Obviously it will expire when Chrome or Windows change their codes.

Not exactly. The license still doesn't expire. What happens in the situation you describe is that you've upgraded other key parts of your computer except 1Password. If you don't upgrade Chrome (or your copy of macOS or Windows), then that setup should continue to work (literally) just as it always has. Like it was frozen in amber. But what's breaking the compatibility is that people don't want to keep their devices on old versions of OS, and they want the latest browser advances...so they upgrade those things to the very latest versions. That's actually good -- it's important for security's sake not to run outdated versions of any major components of your setup (browser, OS, security software). But when you update all but ONE of those (in this case, 1Password), then yes, over time you'll have compatibility issues.

To be clear, the new version of 1Password (version 7, on both Windows and Mac) is fully compatible with all the browsers we work with: Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, and a few Chromium-derivatives (like Brave and Vivaldi, though by no means all of them). And as a security company, we definitely urge people to stay current. You're not being "tricked," and you're definitely not being asked to "pay for something twice." You paid for 1Password 4 for Windows...and your license for 1Password 4 for Windows never expires. You can continue to use it on as many PCs as you own/use that still have compatible versions of OS, browser and related technologies, for as long as you're comfortable using 2015-vintage setups. But if you want to stay current (and you should), and you therefore want 1Password 7 for Windows, then yes -- you do need to make a separate purchase for that separate product. Hope that helps. :)

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member

very good and secure service:

We regret that your order could not be accepted. We value your business and would like to help you complete this order. Please contact us for assistance.

• lucci
    lucci
    Community Member

Dear 1password,
    with asking the existing customers to pay one more time the subscription fee when upgrading from 1password 4 to 1password 7 version is a cheap way of making money. Of course you want to make more revenue but it will be much better with bringing new customers. So far I was very happy with 1 password and I was recommending it to all my friends. From now on I am sorry but I can not do this anymore.
    Because simply after few years you will make the same trick... either Chrome will change the code again or Windows will change something. You will for sure find** the reason.**

P.S. Let's make this clear: I can use the 1 password 4 with deselect Verify web browser code signatures

Then Lars is saying: We cannot recommend users intentionally disable browser code signature verification, as this is intentionally lowering your own security.

On your web-site is written:
    The last major update to 1Password 4 for Windows was in 2017 to allow it to continue working with modern browsers. It will only receive critical security updates in the future.

So I am confused... I will disable Verifying the browser which will lower my own security but at the same time I will receive only critical security updates?!?!?!

Do you think this all above is good for your reputation?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

very good and secure service:

We regret that your order could not be accepted. We value your business and would like to help you complete this order. Please contact us for assistance.

@leonid1812: Yep. We take fraud seriously too, so if anything seems amiss a charge can get flagged for review. Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you need help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lucci: If a critical security flaw existed in 1Password 4, we'd release an update for that. Disabling the code signature check (which is enabled by default and does not exist in newer versions at all) means that you're allowing unrecognized/unsigned software to connect to 1Password. So we don't recommend doing that, as mentioned previously.

"Reputation" is worthless if we're not able to run a sustainable business to be around in the future. Sorry, but while many companies get a lot of goodwill upfront for providing software and services for "free", all of that has a cost, which tends to come up again later those chickens come home to roost. We don't sell ads, sell customer data, or sell out to outside investors; the only thing we sell is 1Password, so that all of our funding comes from customers paying us for our work. If you don't want to use the latest version of 1Password and benefit from the changes we've made there, you don't need to pay for it. Our reputation is based on making useful software, and that's not something we can do for free.

• Zout
    Zout
    Community Member

So if I now pay full price again for a version 7 licence what can you tell me about future life span? You will create a version 8 and version 9 and then this will also happen to version 7 I reckon. Will my licence be useful the next 5 years? 4? Or am I late to the party and are you already rolling out version 8 next year?

• lucci
    lucci
    Community Member

Thanks brenty for the reply and also in the other topic. I will write only here now.

How long we can expect to have version 7 as a life span? you are not answering the question when windows change their code what will happen. Another purchase for 1password X version in order to keep my data safe?!?!?
    The problem is like this - I am happy with using 1password 4 as it is. I have it from 2014 and it works great. I do not need the fancy new staff in 1password 7. Sorry... but I installed it and then uninstalled it in just 20 minutes later. Obviously you created a new version in order to ask for more money. Choice is yours even thought I don't think this is fair. Of course you have to be paid for your good job... haven't you thought having new customers?

All I am trying to say is that you have pulled out a clever trick to ask for more money from existing customers with all this change of the code and bla.. bla...
    Honestly speaking... I am not going to pay for an upgrade to 1password7. I would rather look for another password vault software. A much better idea for you would have been to ask for a donation from existing customers since you had to termite 1password 4 support. But now You are not getting a penny from me and you lost your reputation. I would never recommend you as a reliable software provider.

P.S. I am still running Office 2010 and Microsoft says: For Office 2010, the support lifecycle is 10 years. I think this is fair and a good lifespan.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Zout!

So if I now pay full price again for a version 7 licence what can you tell me about future life span?

I can tell you that your license for version 7 will never expire. As long as you have hardware and versions of Windows on which version 7 will run, you can install it on as many of such PCs as you own/use. I can tell you that there will be a 1Password 8 for Windows (unless something goes horribly wrong). I can tell you that it, too, as a new version, will require a new purchase. What I can't tell you at this point is when we'd release such a thing (though I can tell you it's not anytime in the immediate future. We don't give "roadmaps" for future releases; we release them when they're ready. And I can't tell you what the purchase options for it will be, or what they will cost. That's part of the development process. And I can tell you that when we've finally created 1Password 8 and released it, it will be the current version and 1Password 7 will be retired into legacy mode just as 1Password 4 for Windows has been now, meaning it will no longer receive development attention. Hope this is useful information for you, but feel free to ask any clarifying questions you might have. :)

• piersg
    piersg
    Community Member

@Lars on February 19:
    as I said to markherdeg above, we can't recommend this course of action. There's a reason we no longer offer the option to turn off browser code signature verification

This comment concerns me. At the moment, I can still run 1PW4, with Browser Code Sig Verification turned off, and upgrade at a time that suits me. Your comment means that if/when I upgrade to 1PW7, and Chrome again changes its signature, I won't be able to run 1PW7 at all with Chrome -- I will be left with a totally disabled application. My question is: when you cease updates to 1PW7, will you re-enable the option to disable signature verification, so at least we can continue to use 1PW7 after a Chrome update, until we can save up yet again to buy the latest version. If not, and you say that you are planning major releases "every 1-2 years", I will have to pay $49 per year? $62 per year? for ever because you have removed functionality that would enable me to run my previous version of 1PW with a new version of Chrome. If this is the case, I'm actually better off staying with 1PW4 because at least it will continue to work indefinitely.

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member

Yep. We take fraud seriously too, so if anything seems amiss a charge can get flagged for review. Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you need help.

I sent a note with payment problem description to [email protected]. I have no received any feedback during 2 days! I want to confirm that you have very paranoid payment system and support team :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Your comment means that if/when I upgrade to 1PW7, and Chrome again changes its signature, I won't be able to run 1PW7 at all with Chrome -- I will be left with a totally disabled application.

@leonid1812: Nope. If Chrome changes again, you can still use another browser. And if that happens while 1Password 7 is still the current version, we'll update it to support changes in the browser.

My question is: when you cease updates to 1PW7, will you re-enable the option to disable signature verification

No. There is no option for this in the new 1Password app. It simply doesn't have that functionality, as we don't want people actively making themselves less secure. Not having code signature versification means that any app can connect.

If not, and you say that you are planning major releases "every 1-2 years", I will have to pay $49 per year? $62 per year?

We're not in a position to announce pricing for an app that does not yet exist, but probably somewhere in that ballpark. Or you can get all the apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership, which starts at a substantially lower cost annually.

I'm actually better off staying with 1PW4 because at least it will continue to work indefinitely.

I disagree, but it's your call to make, just like you could stick with Windows XP and Internet Explorer if you wanted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leonid1812: We have nothing in the inbox under this email address. What's the Support ID you received? I"ll be happy to look into it, if you'll direct me to your message.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

P.S. I am still running Office 2010 and Microsoft says: For Office 2010, the support lifecycle is 10 years. I think this is fair and a good lifespan.

Since you take Microsoft as a positive example here @lucci:
    I run Microsoft Office for Mac in that version and even though I bought a license, I cannot install it anymore if i buy a new computer since Microsoft shut down the activation servers. This happens with software all the time. It is normal. It is not unreputable and it is not a ripoff.

If regulation changes and thus older cars cannot enter the city center anymore due to enviromental regulation, I am pretty sure you will not get a free new car by your car maker even though you paid for your existing old car. It's the same with software licenses. They work for ever when the environment around it does not change (or in the case of my microsoft office license even that is not the case anymore, I cannot reinstall it). You could also be mad at Google for changing their certificate.

This mainly is the reason many software-makers are moving to subscriptions (as MS is doing with Office 365 as well). It enables them to maintain their products in a market that sees lower growth rates than in the 20 years before. The problem is many people got used to free maintenance since this could be easily funded by the growth of new customers in the past. It will not be possible if the customer base is not growing rapidly anymore.

I would also like to see a roadmap for 1Password but since Agilebits is not a big company and their releases are not dictated by a marketing department I understand very well why they have none.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hadn't thought of the car analogy. Not perfect, but it hits home for me. I loved my first car, but had to get rid of it when it couldn't pass inspection. :crazy:

Ultimately, we do think that subscriptions make a lot fo sense for 1Password (and a lot of our customers seem to agree, or that offering would not have succeeded!) because people expect that we continually update it, both for security reasons and practical ones -- like adjusting to OS, browser, and website changes. We love what we do, so we'd be happy to put in the work either way. But the only way we can feasibly do that is by getting paid. :)

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member

@leonid1812: We have nothing in the inbox under this email address. What's the Support ID you received? I"ll be happy to look into it, if you'll direct me to your message.

I sent note to this mail [email protected] (which you recommended me in this forum)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leonid1812: I understand that's what you meant. However, as I mentioned,

We have nothing in the inbox under this email address. What's the Support ID you received? I"ll be happy to look into it, if you'll direct me to your message.

If you'd like to give me that, I can take a look for you.

• Zout
    Zout
    Community Member

Ok but you don't offer any sort of discount for existing customers that want to stay with your product?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Zout: As Lars already mentioned recently,

a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows is currently at $49.99, a 23% discount off the eventual full retail price of $64.99.

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

That's available as long as it's available. If you'd prefer a 1Password membership which includes all the apps and built-in sync and offsite backup, shoot us an email at [email protected] so we can help you make the transition. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lucci

How long we can expect to have version 7 as a life span?

Please see my comments above to @Zout on the same subject.

you are not answering the question when windows change their code what will happen.

I'm pretty sure we DID answer that question, repeatedly, but if it's been unclear I apologize. I'll try to be as clear as I can here: we do not update legacy versions of 1Password to be compatible with current versions of OS or browser(s) or related technologies. All of those compatibility updates exist in the current version of 1Password (across any platform), but just as we have not re-opened the code for 1Password 1 for Windows to make it compatible with Windows 10, so we will not be re-opening the code for 1Password 7 for Windows years from now when Microsoft has released new versions of Windows that aren't even in development yet, but which break compatibility with 1Password 7 for Windows. Is that clear (I hope)?

I am happy with using 1password 4 as it is. I have it from 2014 and it works great.

I'm glad you've been so happy with 1Password 4 for Windows! :) And yes, it works great...right up until the time that it starts to NOT work so great anymore because the OS devs or browser devs create new technologies or change their code signature and that breaks compatibility with version 4 of 1Password. To be clear, for this incompatibility to occur, two things have to happen:

1. Time has to pass, and one of the other links in the chain (OS, browser, other related technologies) have to update themselves to a state where it's no longer compatible with a particular legacy version of 1Password, and
    2. You have to consciously add those updates to your own PC, voluntarily.

If you keep your computer exactly as it was in 2014, including browser, version of Windows and everything else, 1Password 4 for Windows would keep working just as well as you always remember it working. But you haven't kept everything the same as it was in 2014...only your version of 1Password. You're experiencing this incompatibility because you upgraded your system to the latest versions of everything except 1Password, which you keep on the version that was current in 2014. @peacekeeper's comments speak directly to how likely it is that you'll actually get ten years of service out of any given piece of software, including an OS version, if you continue to upgrade other things on the same system.

• dmcentire
    dmcentire
    Community Member

markherdeg you are brilliant!

This has been driving me crazy - to the point where I found an old version of Chrome and have been using that for months. Now I got a new computer and reinstalled everything hoping the problem would be fixed but nope! Anyway you're setting in 1PW 4 made the plug in work like a charm. Thank you thank you!

Dennis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Disabling security features is not something we recommend. That allows anything to connect to 1Password. It would be best to upgrade 1Password just like you should your OS and browser, for this and many other reasons.

• markherdeg
    markherdeg
    Community Member

I'm not brilliant. I was just passing along what I read elsewhere when I first hit the problem with 1Password 4 and Chrome. I do wish there had been a clearer error message explaining why it all of a sudden wasn't working.

I switched to a new 1Password subscription soon after that because I wasn't comfortable with that feature disabled. I am a long time happy user of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@markherdeg: I'm really sorry for the hassle. It just isn't possible for 1Password to give a useful message because it has no way of knowing why it cannot verify the browser to connect to it, only that it cannot -- the same as when the browser has been modified, is corrupt, or it is simply unable to verify it because some "security" software is interfering. I'm glad to hear that you were able to update though, and if you have any questions just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.