1password 7 for windows will not install

I have 1password 7 working on my base computer. Now i'm trying to set it up on my next computer. I've downloaded the installation .exe several times. It won't launch including when I run it as administrator. I've tried it with 1password 4 installed and uninstalled, same result.

I can log into my new account on this next PC and see the vault. Help. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 for windows will not install

Comments

• Hi @kactkoz75,

Thanks for reporting this.

What version of Windows is this? If it is Windows 7 or 8.x, please make sure to install .NET 4.7.2 first here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/thank-you/net472

After that, reboot, and check for Windows updates, make sure all .NET updates are installed and then see if you can install 1Password 7.3.

If it is Windows 10, please try installing 1Password 7.2 first and see if it works: https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.2.617.exe

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Thanks Mike that did it. BTW I"m windows 10, but my next machine is windows 7 so your reply is much appreciated.

One additional question. When i enter the initial login info after the install (site, email address, secret key, master password) it's unpredictable. On my initial machine i got it to work typing everything but the master password, I could only log in if I copy/pasted it.

On this second machine i finally go it by scanning the qwerty set up code from the emergency kit. That was new to me so it took a bit to figure out how to make that work.

Since this is set up and I hope i don't have to use it day-to-day so I like to type up the easiest way to get in if need be in the future. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

I just discovered a new opportunity. the master password on my initial machine is the same as my old version 4 vault password. On this second machine it's the same as the new master password account.

If I want one master password, preferably the one I've been using for years, what's the easiest way to get them all the same? Thanks.

• Hi @kactkoz75,

When i enter the initial login info after the install (site, email address, secret key, master password) it's unpredictable.

Can you explain what you mean by unpredictable?

Do you recall if you entered https://my.1Password.com instead of my.1Password.com?

Since this is set up and I hope i don't have to use it day-to-day so I like to type up the easiest way to get in if need be in the future. Any info is greatly appreciated.

The best way is to scan your Emergency Kit's barcode on each new install, that'll simplify the process and that's what the file is for.

as my old version 4 vault password.

1Password uses the first password you give to 1Password when it is installed; in this case, you added the standalone vault first, so it is encrypted with that vault password. Try to right-click on that standalone vault in the vault switcher (click the vault on top of the left sidebar) and select Remove vault.... This will then cause 1Password to look at the next vault or 1Password account to update its master password, which should be your 1Password account now.

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Hi MIke,

Sorry for being all over the map. Let my try to organize my challenges and be more to the point by putting each challenge in a separate comment. .

1. password sync across my computers

In 1p v4 I always made changes to the vault on one machine and then copied 1Password.agilekeychain folder to the other machines.

With 1p v7 it appears the password is unique to each instance. Further on the initial machine I have two vaults (private and another called 1password). The second machine with the different master password has only the private vault. Both machines have an empty shared vault.

Further the private vault is syncing between the two machines. This is outstanding. Saves me the old copy.

To get where I need to be it appears you are saying I should remove the 1password vault on the first machine where i installed 1p v7, right? . I believe this was imported from the 1Password.agilekeychain. I'm thinking since i'm using and making updates to private I can safetly delete it. if so please confirm.

I also noticed I get an option to edit the 1password vault that is not available with the private vault. On private vault when i click manage it takes me to the account logon screen. why are these different?

Net-net, if it's safe to delete the 1password vault on the original machine and just use the private vault on all machines How do I get the master password to be the same on all machines? I don't see an option to change it anywhere in the 1p v7 app on the PC? Thanks.

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Second challenge - When i enter the initial login info after the install (site, email address, secret key, master password) it's unpredictable.

I did use https://my.1Password.com. I didn't have an easy way to copy/paste from the emergency Kit PDF I typed all that info (sign in address, email address, secret key and master password) into a word document. After verifying i copied it properly I tried to do the online account login.

What I mean by unpredictable is for example if i typed the master password in slowly, carefully and no matter how many times I"d get the "email, secret key or master password" error. If I copied / pasted the master password into the field I'd get right in.

I had the opposite experience with the secret Key. If i copy/paste it I never get in. If I type it, i get in.

Net-net here, I don't really understand the relationship of the master password on the vault vs. on the online account and how I change it to get back to one strong password everywhere (the vault on each pc, the online account) so i again can have one password. If i scan the bar code to get into the online account is there a place to change the master password there? will I get a new emergency kit? if so will that change the master password for the vault login every day or is that a different password? If the vault master password is different, where do I change the "log into the 1p app" password?

So where/how do i make the change to get again to one master password everywhere? Thanks.

• Hey, @kactkoz75!

I'm thinking since i'm using and making updates to private I can safetly delete it. if so please confirm.

You're in the best position to determine this. The one thing I will emphasize is to make sure all of the data you need is in your Private vault. I'd suggesting pressing Ctrl + D and switching to each vault individually to at least make sure item counts match. If you're happy all of your data is available in your Private vault, you can remove it. If not, I'd first copy over anything that's missing from 1Password to Private.

I don't really understand the relationship of the master password on the vault vs. on the online account and how I change it to get back to one strong password everywhere

The easiest way to understand this is to remember that the Master Password for the first vault you added – whether that's a standalone vault (like 1Password) or a 1Password account (like Private/Shared) – will determine the Master Password for the app. So, right now, you have one device where I'd wager you added your 1Password vault first, then added your account. That means the password for your 1Password vault is what unlocks your app. On your other device, you just have your account, so your account password unlocks your app. Once you remove the 1Password vault, your app will update to unlock with the password for your account as it's next in line to take over. Once all of your apps only have your account added to them, you'll change your Master Password everywhere on 1Password.com as described here:

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

As for your Emergency Kit, it's good to have it handy just in case, but you should not need your Secret Key often. You'll need it on new devices, but once you've set up an app or have signed in once in a browser, only your Master Password will be needed. Keep in mind these keys are what protects your data, though. Make sure you're keeping both your Master Password and Secret Key somewhere safe. I suggest a password protected USB drive, or printing your Emergency Kit (and writing your Master Password on it) and keeping it in a safe or with your other important documents. It's not something you want to keep in plain text in a Word document. That said, do make sure that once everything is set up properly, you're reliably able to sign in typing your Master Password. If you can't, that's something we'll need to sort out. It isn't a good idea to have your Master Password saved in plain text anywhere, so we have to make sure you don't have to do that :+1:

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Hi Bundtkate,

Everything you said is spot on. I set up the single password and deleted the 1password vault on the original machine so i'm back in business with one master password on all machines.

One thing I was never able to solve, the "master password only worked unless I copy / paste" on the second machine. No matter how carefully i typed, it just would not work. I'm thinking I may have done a copy paste with the initial setup on the second machine. At the ASCII level there may be a difference between the word doc (Probably HTML) and what goes into the field with straight typing into the app. Thanks.

• That's certainly possible, @kactkoz75. Non-Latin characters are known to be trouble at times. If you have any accented characters in the Master Password, you might try changing it again to remove them (sorry!). You can learn about why that is (if you're interested) here:

https://support.1password.com/special-characters-in-master-password/

If you have accented characters at the moment and changing it works, let me know. I'd be curious if that's still trouble as I haven't heard about it in some time.

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

The only character I have in my password was a single quote. "I'd". I really think it's something at the ASCII bit comparison level between what goes into the field via typing vs copy/paste. I'm just conveying this in case you see more of it with other clients.

One other comment. I use a phrase for my master password. it's long. I've had it for years so It's not a problem for me and now my wife to remember/type it.

Given your focus on security I understand not allowing a "view" option to correct typos when entering the master password. However you took away a feature that existed in version 4 of 1PW. The length of the master password field has been shortened to a length smaller than my password. It's like you are encouraging a shorter password, which is less secure.

Having a larger field allowed me to type my password and see a dot each time I touched a key. Now when i exceed the displayed field size the dots stop propagating in the field. So when I bump and extra key while typing and I used to see two dots in the field instead of one I used to be able to back space fix the typo and continue typing. Now if the happens I have to totally retype my long / safe password.

In my first computer science class in 1977, my instructor said "application development rule number 1 is never take a way a feature you provided in a prior release with a subsequent enhancement." 1PW development has violated that fundamental rule and is encouraging me to shorten my password. If you're going to make your product less secure, you may as well add the view feature to display my password or simply expand the password field to the length you had it in 1PW v4. If you do neither it's kind of hypocritical with respect to product security.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

@kactkoz75 ,

You mentioned:

At the ASCII level there may be a difference between the word doc (Probably HTML) and what goes into the field with straight typing into the app.

and

The only character I have in my password was a single quote. "I'd". I really think it's something at the ASCII bit comparison level between what goes into the field via typing vs copy/paste. I'm just conveying this in case you see more of it with other clients.

Most likely what you are experiencing is that Word is replacing your ASCII single quote - the apostrophe (ASCII: 0x27) - with a typography smart quote. There are several, such as Left Single Quote (UTF-8: 0xE2 0x80 0x98) and Right Single Quote (UTF-8: 0xE2 0x80 0x99), but there are also Grave Accent and Acute Accent code points. This is why your copy from Word / paste would work but not your typing. Its not a good idea to use such apps for saving passwords (even for temporary storage), but if you must, disable its smart typography feature, or use a simple plain text editor that does not do this.

See the following:

• I agree about the Master Password, @kactkoz75. It's one I've heard about before, too, so it's an issue we're aware of. As you ascertained, you can keep typing, but I agree it's a difficult prospect beyond a certain point. I don't believe we can add reveal while still protecting the Master Password field, but I'm not positive that's the case. I would need to check with the development team, but there's a kernel of memory telling me that's a problem. All the same, that's not the only option here for sure. It's funny because I'd not heard this once before folks used to 1Password 4 started moving to 1Password 7 en masse. Just goes to show, y'all definitely have a different way of thinking about this stuff. It's always enlightening to hear the sorts of things that bother different folks and definitely helps us better understand our customers' needs. I'll be sure your feedback is shared. :chuffed:

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Much appreciated. In addition to the field size please be sure to mention the customers that help grow your product should be a primary focus. Not to mention that I paid for a license that your company has chosen to obsolete with no compensation. I'm forced to 1PW 7 and the $60 / per year. You would think you would at least give your most loyal customers the first year free and better documentation on the upgrade path and changes. I'm stepping down from my soap box. Thanks for listening. Have a great weekend!!!

• You don't have to tell me about that upgrade article, @kactkoz75, it's the bane of my existence. I have no trouble guiding folks individually because I know exactly where y'all are coming from and where you're going, but trying to write something that covers all possible paths has been a struggle. I'm actually updating that thing for about the 4th or 5th time as we "speak" and I can only hope these last tweaks will finally get it working a bit better. If you have suggestions about things that would have helped you, please please share them. The more I know about what's tripping folks up, the more likely I am to make this latest edit helpful.

As for discounts, we have a tough time with discounts specific to particular folks. We do our very best to collect as little information about y'all as possible, so we can't do certain things that would make that a bit easier like reach out to everyone using 1Password 4 and say, "Hey, you should upgrade! Here's a discount to make it easier." That said, one thing I will shout from the rooftops is that there is never any harm in e-mailing sales@1password.com and asking about discounts. Beyond the adage of "no harm in asking", there's always a chance we have a public promo running you didn't know about. That applies equally now – I'd encourage you to reach out and ask. I don't know of any promos at the moment, but I'm a "fix stuff" gal, not a sales-y type so something slipping past me wouldn't be that weird. It's worth a try. :wink:

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member

Ok, Deal.

I tell you my terrible transition challenges and you tell me how to deal with them or submit a change request to your product development guys to get it fixes. Starting with the length of the master password field, that one is easy to fix. I've been in IT for 40 years. That's no more than display graphic logic, no real heavy program logic. It needs to be fixed in the app and the google plugin

Next, somewhere below this chain of comments you'll find my pain transitioning from a workstation based vault to a single web based vault. The way this happens (copies it into the first PC private vault but leaving a separate copy 1PW copy) is a challenge. If you were a smart 1PW 4 user, you got training from you guys early on re: how to copy the vault (1Password.agilekeychain) from one PC to another. you would have also evolved a concept of using one of those copies as a base and make sure you make all your changes to the base and copy to all other PCs. That concept is gone and although much improved you don't explain the difference between the new private and the old 1PW 4 copy so I have to figure out on my own how to get back to 1 base and which is valid.

Next, and this is huge. I spent years organizing my logins into folders. Financial, frequent flyer, Medical, shopping, etc. Some how i see these former folder names did get propagated to your new tag field. However when I search for a login I don't see a way to display them by the tag 'group'. Again somewhere in this comment chain I'm told that's coming in a subsequent release. I'm finding on those logins I don't use that often (just yesterday I had to get into my Luftanza frequent flyer which I haven't used in years and it wasn't popping up in search), I had to go back to a PC where thankfully I preserved a 1PW 4 instance to find what it was called.

I'll shoot you others as I have time. It's like you're my therapist helping me deal with the frustration of this transition. Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Starting with the length of the master password field, that one is easy to fix. I've been in IT for 40 years. That's no more than display graphic logic, no real heavy program logic. It needs to be fixed in the app and the google plugin

Could you please specify what issues with Master Password field you have now? I am not sure I understand it correctly.

Next, somewhere below this chain of comments you'll find my pain transitioning from a workstation based vault to a single web based vault. The way this happens (copies it into the first PC private vault but leaving a separate copy 1PW copy) is a challenge. If you were a smart 1PW 4 user, you got training from you guys early on re: how to copy the vault (1Password.agilekeychain) from one PC to another. you would have also evolved a concept of using one of those copies as a base and make sure you make all your changes to the base and copy to all other PCs. That concept is gone and although much improved you don't explain the difference between the new private and the old 1PW 4 copy so I have to figure out on my own how to get back to 1 base and which is valid.

If you migrated your existing data to your new 1Password account, can sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser and see all of your data there, you do not need your old local vault files anymore. Moreover, all you have to do on a new device is to download 1Password app and sign in to your account there. It is that simple and you don't have to deal with sync in the future.

Do you still have difficulties with your old local vault or 1Password account? Please let me know.

Next, and this is huge. I spent years organizing my logins into folders. Financial, frequent flyer, Medical, shopping, etc. Some how i see these former folder names did get propagated to your new tag field. However when I search for a login I don't see a way to display them by the tag 'group'. Again somewhere in this comment chain I'm told that's coming in a subsequent release. I'm finding on those logins I don't use that often (just yesterday I had to get into my Luftanza frequent flyer which I haven't used in years and it wasn't popping up in search), I had to go back to a PC where thankfully I preserved a 1PW 4 instance to find what it was called.

That is correct, we do not have folders in 1Password accounts anymore. What we have instead is multiple vaults and tags.

When you migrate your data to 1Password account, your folders become tags, and you can apply multiple tags to a single item. In addition to that, you can create separate vaults for your needs. This works great for keeping these items nicely separated and a really awesome benefit is you can access these vaults separately or together in All Vaults view.

With this being said, I understand that it will take some time for initial migration from folders structure. Please give it a try and let us know how it works for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.