Mini Stays Open When Invoked via Cmd-\

Options
rlh
rlh
Community Member

When 1Password is locked and I invoke Cmd-\ to fill a password, Mini pops up along with the dialog asking me to use Touch ID to authenticate. As soon as I put my finger on the sensor the authenticate dialog disappears, 1Password fills the web site credentials, and Mini unlocks opening to a screen where it has correctly matched to the current web site. BUT, Mini remains open and in the foreground. I have to hit Escape or Return or click on the Safari window to make it go away. Only after this can I hit Return or click the site's logon button to continue the logon process.

If 1Password is already unlocked everything behaves as expected, Cmd-\ autofills the web site and Mini never even appears. And I immediately proceed to hit Return to log in.

Obviously when 1Password is locked there should be an extra step (authenticate) but there shouldn't be two extra steps (the second one being get the open Mini window out of the way). My expectation is that in the 1Password Mini get out of my way even if it was locked to start.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to be impatient but wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem and if the 1Password team has any feedback.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlh - apologies for the delay in our response time. As you might have noticed, we're pretty inundated with support requests right now, but I do apologize that means longer than average wait times.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you're having, despite really trying to do so. What you're experiencing is not expected behavior; it's not what happens in our own testing of 1Password 7 for Mac on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”). With that said, the first thing I'd try to do - and I assume you may have already done this - is to restart your Mac and see whether the problem remains the same. Next, I'd upgrade to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) if you can, as that's the OS version that 1Password 7 for Mac is best-optimized for.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars, sorry about the long silence on this. I have tried the reboot and then some: some macOS security updates came out so those got installed with a reboot, I updated 1Password to 7.2.4, and restarted Safari more than once. The behavior remains.

One thing I didn't note before, I only have this problem if I do the unlock via TouchID on my MacBook Pro. If I enter the master password and hit Return then it works as expected. I have no other TouchID Macs that I can test this on to reproduce. If I can isolate it to anything in particular I'll update this thread.

I hear you about upgrading to 10.14 but I'm resisting that for now...I'll just file this in the "minor nuisance" category for now.

• agag
    agag
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same behaviour here, running the latest version of Mojave (10.14.2), and 1Password is completely up-to-date. This happens every time when unlocking via TouchID (2018 MacBook Air). The password is filled correctly, but the mini window remains and needs to be dismissed via esc or enter, effectively doubling the number of keystrokes required to fill in a password.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

I'll add to this that I don't see the behavior on all sites. It always fails on costco.com as a good test case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlh: This may seem like a silly question, but just go with it. ;) If you open the main 1Password app, do you have more than one costco.com login in all of your vaults combined? Also, double check your keyboard shortcuts in 1Password Preferences > General. It's not what I'm seeing here, but I'm sure there's an explanation. :)

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

Only a single costco.com login item (I do have a couple other items with Costco in the title: Costco Visa (credit card item) and Costco Visa (login item that points to citi.com). I check all vaults, including the "hidden" vaults.

Preferences for shortcuts are still at default (see attached).

I'm going to check some other sites and see if I can give you a few (hopefully popular) sites that work correctly vs. incorrectly for me. I'll try to follow-up ASAP.

• agag
    agag
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add, this only happens when Touch ID unlock is enabled. When Touch ID for 1Password is disabled, filling works as it should do.

• Ben
    Options

That's really quite strange. I'm using Touch ID on a 2018 MacBook Air w/ Mojave and I'm not seeing that behavior. If you're using a 1Password account I'd recommend using Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data from the 1Password lock screen to clear all preferences from 1Password for Mac and then log back in to your 1Password account. You may want to have a copy of your Emergency Kit handy to make the process easier. Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• agag
    agag
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for the suggestion. I have reset 1Password data as suggested and I'm still seeing the issue.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @agag for running the experiment. I didn't want to go through the trouble, and now I don't think I'll need to.

Per my earlier post I said I was going to check other sites and so far they all fail the same way...so at least it's consistent for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update. We're not able to reproduce what you're describing yet, but we'll keep an eye out.

• agag
    agag
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty If I can provide any further info, let me know - it's happening every time I fill a password, so would love to get it resolved! :)

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to know what @agag and I have in common. One additional data point that may or may not be relevant is that I have the Ghostery 5.5.0 extension installed in Safari.

• agag
    agag
    Community Member
    Options

I have a couple of content blockers installed in addition to 1Password, however I still see the 'incorrect' behaviour from 1Pwd Mini even with all other extensions disabled.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@agag and @rlh - we'll let you know if we notice anything; please do the same for us. :)

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    I don't know if this thread is still alive, I just wanted to notify you that I'm having this exact problem as well.
    Have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sandphoenix: I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell me the exact steps you're taking, and the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions involved?

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there!

This is the system I'm on:

• 1Password 7.2.5
    • MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)
    • Google Chrome 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • 1Password Chrome Extension 4.7.3.90

These are the steps I'm taking:

• Open Chrome
    • Navigate to an login page (example: https://signin.ebay.com)
    • Press Command+\
    • Wait for TouchID prompt to appear
    • Place finger on TouchID and unlock
    • Press enter to close 1Password Mini window
    • Press enter for login to go through on page

Thank you very much for your time!

• Ben
    Options

Let's avoid having this conversation in two separate places, please. :) I'm going to close this one up.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.