To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Where's my passwords from version 6?

lymabe
lymabe
Community Member

Help! I just signed up online for families so I can add my husband. I was currently using version 6.8 from the app store (stand alone) and now it seems I have 2 - 1Passwords. When I click on the icon the old one comes up and when I go online the new one comes up. So, how do I get my little icon to be the newest with all my old passwords. :) I followed the instructions from the support page and made it to step 3... Download 1Password from the AgileBits website and install it. Then you’ll have two 1Password apps in your Applications folder. The app called “1Password 7” is the version you just downloaded from our website. Open it, and you’ll see the Welcome screen. After answering the configuration questions, you’ll see all your Logins, Secure Notes, and other data. I only have one app in my applications folder, but I did have the welcome screen, but there were no configuration questions to answer. I'm stuck.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mohave 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

I may have gotten all the passwords transferred over. However, it still says I'm running version 6.8.8???? I also don't have dark mode available which makes me think something still is not right. And a question... do I have to go to the 1password website and log into my account in order to invite someone? I was hoping to be able to do it from the app. Off to research some more...

• Hello @lymabe

Just to make sure; were you following the instructions found here: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ ?

You downloaded 1Password 7, installed it and your accounts and vaults were not imported? You still have the 1Password 6 app after installation correct? This is definitely not normal. The install of 1Password 7 should have archived the 1Password 6 app and moved all your existing data to 1Password 7.

I see you may have gotten it working? Please do let us know. If you are still on 1Password 6, but also have 1Password 7 installed we may be able to reset the app data, and remove / reinstall 1Password 7.

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I followed the link above specifically the section called "If you installed 1Password 6 or earlier from the Mac App Store" and then followed the link "Learn how to switch from the Mac App Store."

After downloading from the website, I did not have 2 apps - there was no 1password7. With a little luck I did have a notice pop up asking me if I wanted to join with this 1password, which is how I was able to get my data. However, yes I am still on version 6. But all my passwords on now on the website version, which I'm assuming is version 7.

I know I'm running both versions because of my vaults - I still have the primary vault from version 6 (I did not delete it yet just in case) and I also have the private and shared vaults from version 7. If I set my vaults to ALL, I get doubles of everything.

When I open the app and click the about it tells me I am running version 6.8.8. Do I need to get the version 7 app from the app store????

I know it's a mess and sure didn't flow like the instructions said it would. I'm still in "Help" mode lol.

• Hello again @lymabe,

OK so here's what we're going to do. Since it sounds like your items are backing up to 1Password.com, lets move all your items from the "Private" old vault to the "Private" new vault.

Once they're moved confirm that they show up in your vault by logging into https://my.1password.com and opening your Private vault.

Note: Do not continue if the data doesn't show up in the vault on https://my.1password.com. Stop here and let us know.

Now that we know that the data is backed up lets get you 1Password 7.

First step is removing your old versions of the 1Password app. Follow just the uninstall instructions found here. Do not remove your data.
    https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

Go to the downloads page https://1password.com/downloads. Download 1Password 7 for Mac. Install 1Password 7 following the installer's instructions. Once this is complete you should get the welcome window. Here you can add your account again using your secret key and master password.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

Oh boy here we go...

P1. I do not have a private "old" vault, only a primary vault so I will assume they mean the same. I suspect they are already in the new vault as well as the old vault - I get doubles of everything when I click all vaults from my 1 password app. I can click between primary and private, the primary vault contains both private and shared items.

P2. I am not convinced that my passwords are on 1password.com. I'm not even sure which is the home screen, but when I log in I only see a shared vault. When I click on the 1password icon in the top right corner I see my vault and can click on it and all my passwords are there. When I click on the side bar where it says vaults - I go to the first picture in this paragraph and only see a shared vault. I hope this makes some sense.

I should probably also let you know that when I signed up from the website it would not allow me to use the same master password as the old one was not long enough.

A couple thoughts... I am going to print my files. :) Also, I could dump my passwords into the shared folder and proceed from there as long as I can unshare them back to private?

I am stopping here until I hear from you.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lymabe: They're definitely not the same. A Personal/Private vault is part of a 1Password membership account. The Primary (local) vault is stored only on the device. So data in Primary will not be seen when you sign into 1Password.com in your browser to view your account (unless you've also made a copy of it all in the Personal/Private vault). I'd suggest the following:

1. Don't print your 1Password data, as it's not secure in that form. Within 1Password it's encrypted.
    2. Sign into 1Password.com in your browser to view the data in your account.
    3. If you have all of the data you need there*, open 1Password for Mac.
    4. Go to Preferences > Advanced.
    5. Uncheck the option next to Local Vaults and remove the Primary.

*If you have other data you need in the Primary vault, let me know.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

When I click on the 1password icon in the top right corner I see my vault and can click on it and all my passwords are there.

I think you mean the top left corner. Clicking there takes you to your "homescreen" in the online version of 1 Password (if you want to call it homescreen). There you can see all shared vaults you have access to and your private vault. If all items you expect are inside the vault called "private" they reside in the 1Password cloud, only accessible by you.

When I click on the side bar where it says vaults - I go to the first picture in this paragraph and only see a shared vault. I hope this makes some sense.

This makes sense. If you take a closer look, you'll see that the "vaults" option in the sidebar is under the family name. This is so, because you manage all shared vaults belonging to the family in there (granting and revoking access to family members to shared vaults etc.). This is the reason you cannot see your personal vault in there.

On your mac, if you hide the "primary" vault and only activate "private" under lynn, and still see all your data, then you are all set and all your passwords have been savely moved to the cloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

I think you mean the top left corner. Clicking there takes you to your "homescreen" in the online version of 1 Password (if you want to call it homescreen). There you can see all shared vaults you have access to and your private vault. If all items you expect are inside the vault called "private" they reside in the 1Password cloud, only accessible by you.

Ah, perhaps. I thought they were referring to the 1Password.com web interface, but you're right it would be top left in the native app. Potentially a bit confusing. :)

This makes sense. If you take a closer look, you'll see that the "vaults" option in the sidebar is under the family name. This is so, because you manage all shared vaults belonging to the family in there (granting and revoking access to family members to shared vaults etc.). This is the reason you cannot see your personal vault in there.

Indeed. Put another way, your Personal/Private vault is only ever accessible to you, so it won't be listed with the vaults which have adjustable permissions for sharing.

On your mac, if you hide the "primary" vault and only activate "private" under lynn, and still see all your data, then you are all set and all your passwords have been savely moved to the cloud.

Thank you! That's a much better way of explaining it. :chuffed:

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Ah, perhaps. I thought they were referring to the 1Password.com web interface, but you're right it would be top left in the native app. Potentially a bit confusing. :)

I actually was referring to the 1Password.com interface as well. The screenshot @lymabe posted is the list of all vaults one has access to (page right after login to 1Password.com). You can get there again if you click the 1Password-Logo in the top left corner of the website. That's what I assumed was meant, since this is what is depicted in the screenshot that directly follows.

Thank you! That's a much better way of explaining it.

Thanks for the feedback. I used to work in an Apple Store and sometimes I miss giving technical advice to clients. When that happens I hit up some support forums and try me best to help people :glasses:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Very cool. Thank you! :chuffed: :+1:

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

Success! Thank You brenty and peacekeeper!!

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

Thanks jin_dhaliwal for the instructions. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lymabe On behalf of everyone, you are very welcome! I am happy to hear he was able to clarify things for you. Have a wonderful day!

This discussion has been closed.