1Password 7 Standalone on Windows - How to sync to iOS?

Hello everybody, dear 1Password support,

bit of explanatin before my actual problem. TLDR: Bought v7 for Windows because v4 didn't work with Chrome extension anmyore.
What brings me here starts with the 1Password Browser Extension not working anymore with 1Password 4 on Windows. I do get that, since 1Password 4 is not updated anymore with new features and Google changing something on Chrome is not your fault. I valued using the Chrome extension very much and so I decided, to invest the money into the new version.
Since I like buying once and then owning the software (with full knowledge that I will only get updates for so long will most likely not be able to upgrade to the next main version), I decided to purchase the 1Password 7 standalone license for Windows for about 53 €.
Finding the way to purchase this license was not easy, and I know you do that on purpose to get people to monthly subscriptions. Still found it via posts in this forum. After the license was there the setup went fast and I was happy when my Chrome extenstion worked again.
So far, so good.

Only then did I start thinking about my two iOS devices which I would like to keep synced with my Windows desktops. Some forum searches later, I found out, WLAN sync, which I used before to sync between Windows and iOS is no longer available. I do understand both sides of the argument for and againt WLAN sync and even though I don't prefer it to WLAN sync, I would accept using a 1Password account and sync over your cloud.
So I setup a 1Password account and add it on my iPhone to the 1Password app (which I purchased for 10 € in 2017, I think). I now have basically pasted all items from my local vault on my iPhone, which I used to WLAN sync to my Windows desktop, to the "online" vault.
Then I went back to my local 1Password 7 installation on Windows to connect to that same account and basically do the same there and have all my data synced in your cloud and access from the clients on my several devices.
But I do not find any way to do this there.

So my questions now are:
1. By purchasing the v7 license for Windows, what can I really do there? I can't WLAN snyc anymore anywhere, but I also cannot access a vault in my 1Password account, is that correct? How would v7 sync with any other device? I really didn't see a feature available there. Please let me know if I was just blind and there is a simple solution for that.

1. Assuming what I asked for in q1 cannot be done, what way do I have with my current setup to keep the data on my devices updated between each other, without having to subscribe, which I wouldn't really accept, since I bought the standalone license. I will not give me upgrades, which is fine, but I assumed that I would at least be able to use the cloud service with all the client apps I have purchased. I would even accept having to purchase a new iOS app, but that should do it.

Please advise how I can continue working with 1Password with this set of devices and licenses.

While being halfway through describing my issue, I had an idea which solved my problem, but I'm not quite ready to share it, because I want to know what 1Password can offer for my use case and also I think you would not much appreciate it.

So my issue is now basically only an enquiry about how to use the 1Password infrastructure and not keeping me from using 1Password.

Anyways, hoping to here from some expert and have a nice day.

Regards
Marcel

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: ???
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 windows standalone ios

Comments

• Hello, @ma_31! Syncing via our servers is only included as part of a 1Password membership. Think of that membership as being payment for a service rather than the apps themselves – it includes the apps, but also the features of 1Password.com like web access, automatic sync, item history, document storage, and everything else. If you wanted to use 1Password.com to sync and enjoy the other features of our hosted service, that's totally an option and you can absolutely migrate your existing data there and use it on both iOS and Windows, but you would need to purchase a 1Password membership after your 30-day free trial. If this is something that interests you, don't let your prior license purchase stop you. We'd be more than happy to refund your purchase, if you decide you'd prefer a 1Password membership.

A standalone license, on the other hand, is a more traditional software license – it gives you the current version of 1Password for Windows and allows you to sync a standalone vault via a third-party sync service. With an iOS devices in the mix, your only option would be Dropbox. 1Password for iOS supports Dropbox and iCloud sync, but CloudKit – the tool we use to make iCloud sync possible – isn't supported in iCloud for Windows, so that leaves you with Dropbox as the service that's supported on both devices. You can learn how to sync your vault via Dropbox here:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

Depending on whether your vault on iOS and Windows is currently in sync, it may be a good idea to set up Dropbox sync on whether device is totally up-to-date, then reset your other devices and open that Dropbox vault directly.

If you're not sure of the best path forward for either option, let me know whether you'd prefer a 1Password membership or syncing via Dropbox, which device is completely updated with your latest changes to your data, and what other devices you need to sync with. From there, I can walk you through getting things on the same page. :+1:

• ma_31
    ma_31
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate , thanks for the quick and comprehensible response. It‘s kind of what I expected, but now I know what’s going on.
    Thanks for the offer to refund the purchase, I would probably have accepted it, had I not found another way to keep my devices synced without Dropbox. So for right now, I‘m all set, but when 1Password 7 is not supported anymore, I will definitely consider a membership.

Thanks again and have a great day!

• It's no trouble at all @ma_31! I'm glad to hear you found something that works for you. Enjoy, have a lovely week, and if I can do anything else to help you know where to find me. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.