Usability problems when manually merging duplicate entries

This note started as a complaint about not being able to merge app entries with web login entries. Aside from the usual request for merge (don't respond here about that, I've already read the huge thread on that... probably contributed to it at one point even)

My problem is that 1password uses an icon-centric mode for identifying what kind of entry you have. Icons are fine, but you have to have words or a key, or people don't have a way of figuring out what an icon means. Case in point:

Not sure if this image is going to show up. I have done a screen capture of a section of the 1password screen, then obliterated my usernames/passwords, then done a screen capture of the edited image. It better be safe, otherwise somebody may get me to Silver or Gold without my permission :-)

Anyway, I am looking at three entries for my Hilton reward card/number/login. One is a "passwords" entry, I can tell, because it is an icon for a key, and I can look down on the list of icons next to entries in the expanded Categories list in the left pane. I presume these are created anytime I have 1P autogenerate a password. Now that I have done this enough, I should just know better, and instead of letting 1P "fill it in", I should instead cut the autogenerated password out of the field, and paste it in myself twice, then go and manually tell 1P to save the login, and then go back and doublecheck the creation in 1P immediately while I've still got the password in the paste buffer. I get it, this is hard, and you're doing the best you can, and apparently there are no standards commonly followed for account creation, so its not agilebits fault. Soemtimes the Internet just sucks.

The second icon looks like three heads, they are light purple, and if I had not slowed down and spent an hour writing this up, I would not have noticed that their icon matches the "Memberships" category. I rarely use this category, and for some reason I apparently did just a month ago. I'm an idiot, since I'm just making things more difficult for myself.

The third icon looks like a "Hi" on a metal plaque with bolt-holes through the corners. I thought that this represented the web-login, but since I took that screen capture, I could not log into the website, and had to manually cut'n'paste the username and p/w in, and then it promoted the first entry ("Passwords") to what I presume is a web login, because it now has the Hilton Flavicon. So who knows what this third one is.

When I select the third entry, it has the username and password, and underneath it says "website", but does not have a URL stored for the thing, so I think the word "website" is actually the caption for a field that has no value.

OK, so I hope you hand this off to your usability person, because when they read through this, they are immediately going to spot a number of problems this exercise revealed.

First of all, the word CONFLATION. If you don't know what it means, that's OK, I probably didn't learn it until 15 years ago.

You guys are suffering from icon conflation. Your icons represent two different categories of meaning. Sometimes the icon indicates a category of 1P entry, but sometimes, when it is representing a web login, it is actually representing the Flavicon for the website for that weblogin. I gather the plaque/bolt-hole metaphor is probably being used for web logins before you download the flavicon. I don't know how !P was able to create one with the name of the company, but not have a URL for it though.

Secondly, its too late for this opinion to matter, but there are a whole swath of 1P entry categories that in my opinion are the same. Wireless Routers, Memberships, SSNs, Passports, Email Accounts, Reward programs, and Bank accounts. I'm sure by now you understand the mistake. They should have all been one kind of entry, lets call it foo, and when you create a foo, you would pick a sub-category which 1P would nicely provide a template for. Users could even make their own foo sub-categories, and go crazy. But no, instead we have category pollution. I may be missing something, but if I create a bank number or passport entries, there is no special place I can go where 1P will automatically spit it out. These are glorified notes. Worse, when I do create a web login for my bank-account, there is no way to link it to my bank account entry with routing number etc. Ugly.

Anyway, what I am missing is a field on the right pane which identifies what kind of entry we are looking at here. It would not hurt to have the icon next to the logins category in the left pane look more like the plaque/bolt-hole icon you use in the middle and right panes. It also would not hurt to actually use two icons in the right pane. Use the Logins icon from the left pane, and next to it use the flavicon icon fetched off the website.

Thirdly, I would like a new left-pane super-category besides WATCHTOWER, CATEGORIES, TAGS, SMART FOLDERS. This super-category would reduce the number of categories from 14 to the old 5-7 that is the max the human mind can keep in mind at once. It would be a list that had Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, Passwords and I guess "other". (Debatable whether you need to break out anything else, its essentially all Notes and "Stuff that is formatted better than Notes".) In fact I think the Passwords category is stupid as well. This is really a runt login entry which is missing info, or it is a history of all generated passwords. If its the first, then treat it like a login, if its the second, give us a way to look up old generated passwords.

Lastly, does 1Password create new entries for Android App logins? Here when I started writing this days ago, with the title of "Merging password entries for App and website logins", I was convinced that 1Password was recording username/passwords for Android Apps I logged in to using 1Password as the keyboard for. Now I'm really not sure.

BTW, thats why this is under Android, and not Mac. It should really be moved under Mac.

1Password 7
Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Community Member

....i gets worse. Just copying over secondary websites with same login for Chevrolet (my.chevrolet.com and mychevroletrewards.com... why different domains? beats me!) As soon as I copy the info from the one that has the "pretty" chevy bow-tie flavicon, 1P decided to ditch the flavicon and use "Ch". Why? (Don't answer that.)

• Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Community Member

...And then I discover a third "Password" entry with a different password. I'm always afraid to delete stuff like this in case I've got the wrong password in the primary. Then a year later I can't figure out why my closet is full of empty coat-hangers like this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Daves_Not_Here_Man: Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I think we can a agree that it can be a jungle out there, and no two websites work the same. That's not only difficult for 1Password sometimes, when trying to save and fill login credentials, but also for us as users, sometimes just finding the right page on a website to set things up the way we want. 1Password can help a lot with this, with the desktop apps automatically saving "Password" items when you use a generated password there, as a safety net in case you do not save a Login item at the time, so you don't get locked out of the account; and of course helping to fill it for you in many cases...but it isn't perfect and we'll keep working to make the whole workflow easier to manage over time, thanks to feedback from you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

You've posted in the Android category of the forum, and much of what you've written applies to that as well, but it sounds like you may also be referencing things specific to others apps at times, so bear with me if I'm not entirely clear from your comments which you're referring to at a given point. I'd really like to get a better sense of the specifics of what you're trying to accomplish, but I can go over the broad strokes of 1Password's use of iconography and some of the reasoning that goes into that. It seems like this is your (first) main point:

You guys are suffering from icon conflation. Your icons represent two different categories of meaning. Sometimes the icon indicates a category of 1P entry, but sometimes, when it is representing a web login, it is actually representing the Flavicon for the website for that weblogin. I gather the plaque/bolt-hole metaphor is probably being used for web logins before you download the flavicon. I don't know how !P was able to create one with the name of the company, but not have a URL for it though.

I'm not 100% certain what you mean by "icons represent two different categories of meaning", but my best guess is that you're referring to the fact that the default icon for most items is the same as the icon for their category -- say, Memberships. The reason for this is twofold. The questions which seem implicit in your comments are the following:

1) Why doesn't 1Password use a unique icon for the category, separate from the default icon for items in that category?

and

2) Why do some items have other icons, different from the default for the category?

Regarding #1, the answer is that, in most cases (more on that later), it makes it easy to tell at a glance what type of item it is -- for example, in a list of search results that includes many different items. If you're looking for a specific Login, the Membership category icon next to any item in the list tells you immediately that there aren't the Logins you're looking for. ;) It sounds like you'd prefer a text label to indicate that, and it's something we can consider; but overwhelmingly when we have tried more text-based approaches in the UI, we've gotten a lot of pushback because icons are easier to "read" visually very quickly in most cases, where text can often tend to "blend in" with everything else -- especially in a list of items with all their titles, etc. I think there's room for improvement no matter what, so we'll keep evaluating options. Over time, having the item match the category has proven to be useful for most people, to the point where we get a lot of requests to make greater use of iconography. We don't want to take it too far, but you can see some smaller changes of that kind in 1Password 7.

As for #2, I'll go more into categories below, but for the purposes of this section I'll say that that there isn't a reasonable way for us to automatically choose item-specific icons in most cases, but Logins is an exception. In the past we would grab the favicon directly from the website, if possible. Those looked not-totally-awful in 2009, but with the proliferation of high-resolution displays in the following years, on both desktop and mobile, we stopped doing that and instead focused on using Rich Icons for popular sites, which look great, and not like we're losing our vision (even some of us are). And while I can see the appeal of using the same icon across the board to make it easy to distinguish the item type (heck, that's what we're doing with most categories!), Logins is a special case because that's what the vast majority of 1Password user's full item lists consist of.

So with Logins we have a few different icons that can come into play:

• Default icon: This is the "keyhole" you're probably familiar with. You'll see this for websites where another icon is not assigned (legacy favicon, Rich Icon, custom icon, or the newer "initial" icons in version 7)
    • Favicon: You shouldn't bee seeing these anymore, except in cases where you saved the item back when we used those, or if there's a "Rich Icon" we still need to find a better image for.
    • Rich Icon*: You'll know you have one of these when it looks really slick, reflecting the website's own branding -- e.g. the Google rainbow "g" logo.
    • "Initial" icon*: We may have a better name for these, but I'm forgetting it. Anyway, this is new in the 1Password desktop app, where it automatically generates a colored "bolt holes" icon with two letters based on the site in the center instead of the "keyhole". There are definitely some people who hate these, but most folks have been happy for this change (and requested better icons for Logins without Rich Icons) in order to more easily distinguish them from each other, where otherwise you could have a long list of hundreds of pain grey "keyhole" icons in your vault, and then you really have to read all the titles to tell them apart.

*If you happen to dislike these, you can disable the Rich Icons option in 1Password Preferences/Settings.

So again, icons make it easier for most people to quickly tell at a glance which item they want, especially for filling, so we try to make good use of them as a distinguishing factor in 1Password, and with Logins in particular.

(continued...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Secondly, its too late for this opinion to matter, but there are a whole swath of 1P entry categories that in my opinion are the same. Wireless Routers, Memberships, SSNs, Passports, Email Accounts, Reward programs, and Bank accounts. I'm sure by now you understand the mistake.

I get where you're coming from here, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think maybe a couple categories were mistakes (Outdoor License is a popular example), but know what? You don't have to use a category at all if you don't want to, and it won't even show up in the list, expect when creating a new item -- sort of like what you're proposing here with "subcategories"":

They should have all been one kind of entry, lets call it foo, and when you create a foo, you would pick a sub-category which 1P would nicely provide a template for. Users could even make their own foo sub-categories, and go crazy.

Custom categories are a thing we'd like to do, but it's no small feat to rearchitect the data structures and all the apps to support it. I do expect we'll get there in the future though. :)

But no, instead we have category pollution. I may be missing something, but if I create a bank number or passport entries, there is no special place I can go where 1P will automatically spit it out. These are glorified notes.

That's fair. But at the same time it's one of the things we hear that people love most about 1Password: saving "glorified notes" in an organized and secure fashion. We get a lot of requests both to expand the "notes" functionality in 1Password and add a bunch of new categories. We think that it's best we focus on building the best password manager we can, but as far as new features can serve that goal we're always open to doing more.

It sounds like your criticism here has a lot to do with the fact that 1Password has some "special" categories that can be used for filling. Indeed, and perhaps we can expand that too in the future. But again, if you don't find it useful to organize your data using certain categories, you can eschew them entirely -- with the exception of those which are needed for filling, if you want to be able to do that: Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities.

Worse, when I do create a web login for my bank-account, there is no way to link it to my bank account entry with routing number etc. Ugly.

You can link items together in a 1Password account. It's still fairly basic, but we'll be doing more with this over time, thanks to the flexibility it affords. For my bank, I still prefer to have separate Login (for filling credentials), Bank Account (for the actual account details), and Credit Card items (again, for filling payment info). But I know some people just store everything in one or the other, using custom fields or notes. I use these in very different contexts, so I actually like having them separate. But linking them can make it easy to go from one to the other.

Anyway, what I am missing is a field on the right pane which identifies what kind of entry we are looking at here. It would not hurt to have the icon next to the logins category in the left pane look more like the plaque/bolt-hole icon you use in the middle and right panes. It also would not hurt to actually use two icons in the right pane. Use the Logins icon from the left pane, and next to it use the flavicon icon fetched off the website.

I think maybe I'm missing what you're looking at, because here I get the item icon matching the category, except in the cases I laid out above. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Thirdly, I would like a new left-pane super-category besides WATCHTOWER, CATEGORIES, TAGS, SMART FOLDERS. This super-category would reduce the number of categories from 14 to the old 5-7 that is the max the human mind can keep in mind at once. It would be a list that had Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, Passwords and I guess "other". (Debatable whether you need to break out anything else, its essentially all Notes and "Stuff that is formatted better than Notes".) In fact I think the Passwords category is stupid as well. This is really a runt login entry which is missing info, or it is a history of all generated passwords. If its the first, then treat it like a login, if its the second, give us a way to look up old generated passwords.

Or...you can just not use the categories you don't want to. The only categories that cannot be "hidden" (by not having items in them) are Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, and Secure Notes. No the Passwords category is not "stupid", as it serves an important function currently (see above: it's what allows you to see generated passwords you've used). But we are working on a successor to that which may offer the same benefit while being more intuitive.

Lastly, does 1Password create new entries for Android App logins? Here when I started writing this days ago, with the title of "Merging password entries for App and website logins", I was convinced that 1Password was recording username/passwords for Android Apps I logged in to using 1Password as the keyboard for. Now I'm really not sure. BTW, thats why this is under Android, and not Mac. It should really be moved under Mac.

In apps that support Android Autofill APIs for saving, 1Password can offer to save login credentials from in that app. You'd know if you did this. Those will have that app associated with them (filling a Login using Android Autofill will also create the association). Otherwise you'd need to create a Login (or other) item in the main 1Password app.

....i gets worse. Just copying over secondary websites with same login for Chevrolet (my.chevrolet.com and mychevroletrewards.com... why different domains? beats me!)

Me too. :lol:

As soon as I copy the info from the one that has the "pretty" chevy bow-tie flavicon, 1P decided to ditch the flavicon and use "Ch". Why? (Don't answer that.)

I'm going to answer this because you asked here on a public support forum and others will probably be curious, because it's a legitimate question. It sounds like we have a Rich Icon already for one but not the other, so 1Password uses a generated icon in the latter case.

...And then I discover a third "Password" entry with a different password. I'm always afraid to delete stuff like this in case I've got the wrong password in the primary. Then a year later I can't figure out why my closet is full of empty coat-hangers like this.

Better safe than sorry, but if you already have a working Login item saved for that website, you can delete any extra Password or Login items without having to worry. They'll be in the Trash until you empty it anyway.

Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on things, and I'm interested to hear back from you with any additional notes. Cheers! :)

• Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Community Member

Man who is the idiot who made a whole bunch of comments, and didn't number them! :-)

Please do not create any more categories. The drop-down when you create an entry is already too long. It should be actual entries that have contents 1Password does something special with, and this foo/blob-type, which uses a template mechanism during creation.

I will thank you for giving me a clue as to how to remove some of the category clutter, it took me an hour, but I was able to delete all of my entries in the Router, Passport, Bank Account, Email, Database(I don't know what that was!), reward program, and SSN. Man that reduced the number of Categories in the left hand column to a manageable six.

I will say that in doing this I was surprised to find that you can not create a note and attach the contents of another entry into it in any way that I could determine. It is not even possible to cut and past single Label/Field pairs from one entry to another.

As for me, it took me a while to chase this down, but the Linking capability you recommend is apparently only available to folks using your cloud service, and not self-hosting on Dropbox like I am for example. Weird limitation!

That's fair. But at the same time it's one of the things we hear that people love most about 1Password: saving "glorified notes" in an > organized and secure fashion. We get a lot of requests both to expand the "notes" functionality in 1Password and add a bunch of new categories. We think that it's best we focus on building the best password manager we can, but as far as new features can serve that goal we're always open to doing more.

It sounds like your criticism here has a lot to do with the fact that 1Password has some "special" categories that can be used for filling. Indeed, and perhaps we can expand that too in the future. But again, if you don't find it useful to organize your data using certain categories, you can eschew them entirely -- with the exception of those which are needed for filling, if you want to be able to do that: Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities.

I get the love, and you can tell that I fell hard for it myself. I think Agilebits has been looking at these the wrong way though (and making WAY too much work for the developers) The reason we all like Passport, Email etc is because when we click + to create a new item, Agilbits has done all of the hard work of thinking about all of the fields one needs to create to make a complete entry for passport. Do I really care that Agilebits is soring this as a different datatype under the covers? NO.

All I wanted was a template somebody created for me that had the right fields pre-created for me to fill out. In fact the 1Password method of doing this is flawed, because when I got a TSA Pre-check global Entry ID, Agilebits did not give me one of those to fill out, so I was stuck creating a second Passport entry, even though it was mis-typed, because it was the closest thing to what I really wanted. Problem was: I can not change the Category name for this. If 1Password had a Blob-type, the name for the blob would be made up by me. I would create a blob, 1Passowrd would ask me which template I want to use, and I would pick the closest one available: Passport. I would then fill out my TSA precheck info, and change the Blob-category name to TSA Pre-check from Passport.

I'm just stunned from reading elsewhere about this that under the covers in the database, these fancy notes all have separate category numbers. I must be missing something, but that does not seem to buy anybody anything but grief. If I go in and customize a login, I can create all sorts of different fields, and you can handle the cross-platform hoo-haw that that requires. The only thing all these separate categories buy you is some extra icons, that could have as easily been extra baggage inside the blob (after all the Passport icon would have been close enough for my purposes)

Anyway, I suspect that will never happen, because this was designed differently, and going back will make more work than sticking with what you have. (And you are showing your urban-centricism by dissing Outdoor licenses. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like them, they just live in the Red states and whatever Canadians call their "Red"-provinces! :-)

• Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Community Member

I get that many of your users are very graphic-sensitive shall we say (and I am too), but that does not mean that you have to consign the rest of us that want to be able to figure out what an icon means are left in the dark. I like the way Mac Mail lets me customize my toolbar to be icons& text, or icons only or text only.

By the way, I had never heard of "Rich Icons" before, and when I search "Rich Icons vs favicons" on google, only 1Password showed up. Favicons can now be arbitrary sizes with tons of pixels. I presume 1Password is still grabbing favicons, but you guys are calling favicons which are not 16x16 Rich Icons, even though they really just a new sizes of favicons, or are you folks really grabbing pieces of different companies websites and generating your own icons to stick in you online database? Too much work!

• Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Daves_Not_Here_Man
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

I don't know why this did not take the first time I tried to upload it weeks ago.

I just do not think those icon types are very self-explanatory. The Rewards card is not at all obvious that it is being provided by 1Password, and was the source of some of my confusion. I thought it was the favicon from some other Hilton-related website.

As for the difference between a password entry and a login entry... well its all in the eyes of the beholder, but I use 1Password every day, but only "intensely" once every 6 months when I am doing housecleaning. In my everyday use, I'm just creating and using logins and passwords. When you use a tool the way I use 1Password every six months, you may learn the difference between the Rewards card, login and password icons, but it does not stay with you for the next six-month binge, and there is no key like you have on a map which will translate symbols to words for me to use to figure that out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Man who is the idiot who made a whole bunch of comments, and didn't number them! :-)

@Daves_Not_Here_Man: Likewise, greetings from another idiot who didn't add numbers either when replying to your original points... Hindsight 20/20 and all that. I guess we're in good company! :lol:

Please do not create any more categories. The drop-down when you create an entry is already too long. It should be actual entries that have contents 1Password does something special with, and this foo/blob-type, which uses a template mechanism during creation.

We've resisted creating new categories for over a decade now, in spite of impassioned pleas for many different ones. So I don't think you need to worry about that. Instead, over the years we've introduced customization for items and expanded on that, and what we ultimately want to do is allow users to create their own categories if desired -- and you certainly wouldn't have to if you don't want to. That's still not something that will happen in the near term, and there's no need to worry either way. :)

I will thank you for giving me a clue as to how to remove some of the category clutter, it took me an hour, but I was able to delete all of my entries in the Router, Passport, Bank Account, Email, Database(I don't know what that was!), reward program, and SSN. Man that reduced the number of Categories in the left hand column to a manageable six.

You're very welcome! While some of those are certainly not often used (Database and Email, for example), I know some people do make extensive use of them so we can't reasonably take them away...but I'm glad that you were able to remove yours to clear up some clutter. That always feels good. :)

I will say that in doing this I was surprised to find that you can not create a note and attach the contents of another entry into it in any way that I could determine. It is not even possible to cut and past single Label/Field pairs from one entry to another.

That is correct. It's easy to click and copy a single field, but there isn't a way to select multiple fields. I can certainly understand why it would be useful when trying to copy data from one category to another. I think it would be cool if that were possible, but honestly it doesn't come up often at all.

As for me, it took me a while to chase this down, but the Linking capability you recommend is apparently only available to folks using your cloud service, and not self-hosting on Dropbox like I am for example. Weird limitation!

Also correct. The item linking feature is something we built into the new data format when designing the 1Password.com service. It just isn't possible with the old local vault formats. It's not something we'd thought of all those years ago, and actually we created it (and the Documents feature) in response to feedback from customers over the years.

The reason we all like Passport, Email etc is because when we click + to create a new item, Agilbits has done all of the hard work of thinking about all of the fields one needs to create to make a complete entry for passport. Do I really care that Agilebits is soring this as a different datatype under the covers? NO.
    All I wanted was a template somebody created for me that had the right fields pre-created for me to fill out.

That's an interesting perspective I haven't seen others mention. I think usually it's just implied when people ask us to create new categories: they want us to figure out the templates for them. I'm not sure we've done so well at that though, and even where we have not everyone will want the same thing. To me, it sounds like you're making a pretty good case for more categories, thought I know you said you don't want that. Someone suggested that any custom categories feature could have a sharing component, where users could create the templates and others could use them. There's a lot of thought and work that would need to go into something like that to see if it's even viable, but I do like the idea.

In fact the 1Password method of doing this is flawed, because when I got a TSA Pre-check global Entry ID, Agilebits did not give me one of those to fill out, so I was stuck creating a second Passport entry, even though it was mis-typed, because it was the closest thing to what I really wanted. Problem was: I can not change the Category name for this. If 1Password had a Blob-type, the name for the blob would be made up by me. I would create a blob, 1Passowrd would ask me which template I want to use, and I would pick the closest one available: Passport. I would then fill out my TSA precheck info, and change the Blob-category name to TSA Pre-check from Passport.

I guess I don't know why you'd need a separate category for that. It's essentially a single nugget of information: your KTN. I just added this to the Notes field in my Passport item, since that's the context it's most often used. Others, less lazy than I, create a custom field for that. 1Password isn't infinitely flexible, and we're reticent when it comes to adding country-specific things like a KTN for the Amercian TSA to the Passport template for everyone. But there are a lot of different ways you could handle it if you're not happy with the way you've got it setup right now.

I'm just stunned from reading elsewhere about this that under the covers in the database, these fancy notes all have separate category numbers. I must be missing something, but that does not seem to buy anybody anything but grief. If I go in and customize a login, I can create all sorts of different fields, and you can handle the cross-platform hoo-haw that that requires. The only thing all these separate categories buy you is some extra icons, that could have as easily been extra baggage inside the blob (after all the Passport icon would have been close enough for my purposes) Anyway, I suspect that will never happen, because this was designed differently, and going back will make more work than sticking with what you have.

Really the reason that the categories exist, and that anyone uses them, is their remade templates. Not perfect, but they're used by literally millions. The icons are pretty, and help to differentiate at a glance, but many people also like using their own icons. Anyway, definitely good reasons to stick with what we have for now, but I imagine if and when we're able to do something like custom categories we will use that opportunity to reevaluate these things too. :)

(And you are showing your urban-centricism by dissing Outdoor licenses. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like them, they just live in the Red states and whatever Canadians call their "Red"-provinces! :-)

Don't judge me. I'm not "dissing" anything. I really don't have a horse in this race. A quick forum search will show you that we get a lot of questions about why that's it's own category though -- and you yourself have suggested that maybe we have too many. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I get that many of your users are very graphic-sensitive shall we say (and I am too), but that does not mean that you have to consign the rest of us that want to be able to figure out what an icon means are left in the dark. I like the way Mac Mail lets me customize my toolbar to be icons& text, or icons only or text only.

It's something we can consider, but as I mentioned earlier we just haven't had other requests for text only.

By the way, I had never heard of "Rich Icons" before, and when I search "Rich Icons vs favicons" on google, only 1Password showed up. Favicons can now be arbitrary sizes with tons of pixels. I presume 1Password is still grabbing favicons, but you guys are calling favicons which are not 16x16 Rich Icons, even though they really just a new sizes of favicons, or are you folks really grabbing pieces of different companies websites and generating your own icons to stick in you online database? Too much work!

It can certainly be a lot of work to research all of the nitty gritty details of this stuff, especially historically. but I enjoy it myself too! Rich Icons are something we introduced in probably 2009 or so as an alternative to favicons, which were huge eyesores. We host them ourselves, so we're not pinging a much of servers just for you to get your icons, and so they can be downloaded in bulk. Much more efficient and private. :)

I don't know why this did not take the first time I tried to upload it weeks ago. I just do not think those icon types are very self-explanatory. The Rewards card is not at all obvious that it is being provided by 1Password, and was the source of some of my confusion. I thought it was the favicon from some other Hilton-related website.

Only Login items can potentially have Rich Icons associated with them, since they will all have URLs. Any other item type will use the default icon for that category, and we will definitely continue to iterate on their design over time. :)

As for the difference between a password entry and a login entry... well its all in the eyes of the beholder, but I use 1Password every day, but only "intensely" once every 6 months when I am doing housecleaning. In my everyday use, I'm just creating and using logins and passwords. When you use a tool the way I use 1Password every six months, you may learn the difference between the Rewards card, login and password icons, but it does not stay with you for the next six-month binge, and there is no key like you have on a map which will translate symbols to words for me to use to figure that out.

The icons for all items except Logins will correspond to the category icons in the left sidebar, which also shows the text name for the category. so that can help. But we'll continue to refine the design of 1Password overall with future versions. Thanks for all your feedback! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.