1PasswordAnywhere no longer works

mattido
mattido
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
When attempting to use 1PasswordAnywhere with Chrome on my PC I get the problem loading 1Password data file error. 1Password is working just fine on my Mac, synced with DropBox. I'm using 1Password 3.1.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    mattido, can you open the same 1PasswordAnywhere file in other browsers (like Firefox) on your PC?
  • mattido
    mattido
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Tried on Firefox 3.6.3 and that worked fine. I guess a Chrome update borked it.

Thanks.
  • binaryghost
    edited December 1969
    I also wanted to add that I have this issue as well, It use to work with all my browsers and now it is incompatible with Chrome and IE8 but still works with Firefox. Not a huge deal, just kind of annoying since the only time I use PasswordAnywhere is at work on my PC with chrome on it :)
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    I don't seem to have this problem with Chrome on OS X. I have successfully opened an exported 1password.html (created with 3.1.0 (build 30621)) with Chrome 5.0.342.7 beta on OS X 10.6.3.

It worked just fine. It this just an issue with Windows Chrome? I don't have access to a Windows machine to play with, but it would be interesting to run the Javascript console and post results (before doing so make sure that no unencrypted password information is included).
  • mikemc
    edited April 2010
    I have the same issue as well. It works fine on Firefox 3.6, but stopped working for me on Chrome (5.0.371.0) and IE8. I get the "Problem loading 1Password data file..." page. When I click the 'key data file' link it takes me to the style/html/login.html page.

Here is the URL in Chrome when I click on the key data file:
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mike/My%20Documents/My%20Dropbox/AppData/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain//style/html/login.html

FYI, that isn't a typo with the '//style' that's how the URL comes up.

Thanks,
    Mike McKenna
    WinXP SP3
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. 1PasswordAnywhere is built for Safari and Firefox compatibility at this time. It was a bonus that it worked with Chrome for Windows, but since it wasn't built for that and isn't something we specifically tested, we couldn't say what specifically in the update broke it. We will add to 1PasswordAnywhere's browser compatibility list in the future.
  • scherem
    edited April 2010
    I have the same problem, and I think this is the cause:

The missing key data file is:
    file:///C:/dropbox/My%20Dropbox/xxxx/1Password.agilekeychain//style/html/login.html

When I load that page (as it does exist), I see the text box, and a lot of broken images. The broken images point to:
    file:///C:/dropbox/My%20Dropbox/xxxx/1Password.agilekeychain//style/html/style/images/body-bg.png

Instead of pointing to:
    file:///C:/dropbox/My%20Dropbox/xxxx/1Password.agilekeychain/style/images/branding.png

To me, it appears the html file is missing some ... (or has a bad reference in it).This problem may be just for the image files, or it may be for a lot more.

Is this something that I can fix by looking into the html files? Probably. Is it something I should do, but may break the use of it on my mac? Unsure.

Hopefully a developer can suggest is this is fixable on the user end, or make the changes and push out a new update.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, scherem. If this were a hard-coded problem in the HTML, it would be broken everywhere. 1PasswordAnywhere is working fine in Safari and Firefox, so I think this may be a red herring.
  • scherem
    edited December 1969
    You right-- i justed tested it in firefox on my windows machine. So the problem is chrome-centric, and appears to be how its doing some referencing. I do think there is something telling about that // which may be a hint as to what is going down.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the additional feedback, scherem.
  • TheBranca18
    edited December 1969
    I noticed two things.

1. Firefox (on Linux, not sure if this happens in other OS) pops up a message letting me know that there's an unsafe action going on and making me accept or deny it.
    2. The problem in Chrome (5.0.342.9 Beta) is 'Refused to get unsafe header "X-JSON"'.

I'm gonna see if I can fix it myself, I just upgraded today and came across this bug. Thankfully it stills works in Firefox!
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, TheBranca18. Welcome to the forums!
  • processoriented
    edited December 1969
    Hello All,

I totally screwed the pooch on this one... saw the same problem described above and in the course of poking around trying to fix it myself I managed to delete the login.html file (along with the backup that I had created). is there an easy way to re-create login.html? Failing that, is there a hard way to re-create it? Thx for being patient with a moron like me.

Vincent
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello All,

I totally screwed the pooch on this one... saw the same problem described above and in the course of poking around trying to fix it myself I managed to delete the login.html file (along with the backup that I had created). is there an easy way to re-create login.html? Failing that, is there a hard way to re-create it? Thx for being patient with a moron like me.

Vincent

Welcome to the forums, Vincent! We don't charge extra for being patient. :)

To force the re-creation of a missing 1Password.html or other files that make up 1PasswordAnywhere, please follow these steps:

1. Quit 1Password.
    2. Using the Finder, navigate to your 1Password data file (1Password.agilekeychain) in whatever folder you have chosen to store it. The default folder location is:
    your_name > Library > Application Support > 1Password
    3. Right-click on 1Password.agilekeychain and choose the Show Package Contents sub-menu.
    4. Drag the "style" folder to your Trash.
    5. Run 1Password. The "style" folder and its contents will be recreated, as will the 1Password.html.
  • gboudreau
    gboudreau
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just to let you guys know that I'm using the latest DEV version of Chrome on Windows (6.0.437.3 at this time), and 1PA works fine for me.
    Maybe you'd want to use the DEV version of Chrome until 6.0 is released, to get back 1PA.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    gboudreau wrote:
    Just to let you guys know that I'm using the latest DEV version of Chrome on Windows (6.0.437.3 at this time), and 1PA works fine for me.
    Maybe you'd want to use the DEV version of Chrome until 6.0 is released, to get back 1PA.

That is great to hear. Thanks for the update Guillaume. Can you confirm whether you are opening 1Password.html stored locally (for example in the Dropbox folder on your machine) or is this through a webserver (like the Dropbox website)?

Thanks!
  • gboudreau
    gboudreau
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    jpgoldberg wrote:
    Can you confirm whether you are opening 1Password.html stored locally (for example in the Dropbox folder on your machine) or is this through a webserver (like the Dropbox website)?

Indeed, I only tried from my web server.
    Trying locally indeed doesn't work.
  • gboudreau
    gboudreau
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The 'easy' workaround is to start Chome with the --allow-file-access-from-files command-line option.
    1PA works fine with that, even when the files are local (not on a web server).

This is per-design in Google Chrome. You can see a discussion about this here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=40787

AWS: My guess is that the best way for you to make your plugin work in Chrome would be to use your native plugin to load local files, instead of using XMLHttpRequests.
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks so much for the additional info, Guillaume. We really appreciate it, and I"m sure our hard-core Chrome folks will as well ;)
This discussion has been closed.