Data migration debacle

Adidasmann
Adidasmann
Community Member

I initially had an individual account with 80+ entries into my personal vault. I decided to create a family account with the hopes of migrating my vault into the new family account. I created the new family account however was never prompted to copy/migrate the data into the new family acct. Now when I log into 1password.com in my browser it gives me two separate login to choose from (one for my individual acct. and one for the family acct.) and I cannot migrate the data into the family acct. I do have the chrome extension running which somehow shows the merged accounts but this doesn't reflect on the browser. I have logged out of all sessions (both on the browser and Chrome extension and nothing is working. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Adidasmann: Unfortunately without some basic information you've left out of your post, it's hard to say what might be the solution. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, did you sign into the 1Password account you're using in the app? Thanks in advance! :)

• Adidasmann
    Adidasmann
    Community Member

Ok, let's see. I am using my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with macOS Mojave version 10.14.3. Browser: Chrome Version 72.0.3626.119 (64-bit), Extension Version 4.7.3.90, 1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204001) Mac App Store.

What is happening: my data is not merging from my individual account into the newly created family account which would then allow me to consolidate all data into one shared account and I can cancel the individual account.

When I sign into my 1Password 7 from my Mac (either opening it from launchpad or the small icon at the top right of my menu icons) I see my original data from the individual account. I can then open a browser window in Chrome and go to https://my.1password.com/signin and I'm given two choices each showing a unique "secret key" for their respective account. I can login separately to each account, however I was never given an option to migrate my data from my individual account into the newly created family account. I need to migrate all the saved data into the family account before I cancel my individual membership and lose that data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Adidasmann: Thanks!

When I sign into my 1Password 7 from my Mac (either opening it from launchpad or the small icon at the top right of my menu icons) I see my original data from the individual account.

It sounds like here you're not talking about an "account" at all though (which would involve a membership subscription), but just a local vault you've been using in the standalone app on your device. Is that correct? If so, I think you still need to actually sign into the 1Password Families membership account you signed up for in the app:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

Doing so should prompt you to migrate the data and remove the old vault, but if you've already declined that you can also go to Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account... to do that.

If, however, you do already have an individual 1Password membership subscription, I'm not sure why you're creating a new family account at all; rather than migrating data, you just need to sign into your individual account on the website and convert that to a family membership by selecting "Invite People" on the right.

Either way, let me know how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.