7.2.5 in AppStore?

bjorntj
bjorntj
Community Member

Hi.

Just started to use 1Password and was wondering what's the best way to install 1Password on my Mac? I have now installed the app from AppStore but there I get version 7.2.4 and I see that if I download from the website, I get version 7.2.5.
What's the recommended way to install the app and to be up to date?

Regards,

BTJ

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bjorntj: Whichever you prefer. As you've noticed, there can be a delay before the App Store version receives an update due to the approval process, but otherwise they will be the same. Some people have a preference of one or the other. The only practical differences are that the Mac App Store version doesn't have a standalone purchase option for the app (it's included in a 1Password membership subscription), or have a "beta" option (as prerelease software is not allowed in the App Store). Both are sandboxed, signed by us and by Apple. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• bjorntj
    bjorntj
    Community Member

Ok, thx.. 🙂

• saweyer
    saweyer
    Community Member

I am using the Mac App Store version 7.2.4, but am strongly considering switching to the Agilebits version 7.2.5 which is usually more current (7.2.4 seemed to take several weeks to appear in the Mac App Store). I looked at the article "How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website"
    https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/

but that article is confusing. it says & shows that the App Store version will appear in Applications as "1Password" while the Agilebits version will be "1Password7". however, my Mac App Store version 7.2.4 is already named "1Password7". so, would I run the new version outside the Applications folder initially to make sure it's functioning correctly, and then drag it into Applications (to replace the App Store version)? if I'm already syncing via a 1password.com membership, will that have to be reset also -- or just the other sync options?
    thanks
    Steve

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

but that article is confusing. it says & shows that the App Store version will appear in Applications as "1Password" while the Agilebits version will be "1Password7". however, my Mac App Store version 7.2.4 is already named "1Password7".

@saweyer: Sorry for the confusion there. Just drag the existing copy of 1Password to the Trash -- DO NOT use a "cleaner" app -- and then restart and install it from the website instead.

so, would I run the new version outside the Applications folder initially to make sure it's functioning correctly, and then drag it into Applications (to replace the App Store version)?

No. What you download from our website will be an installer. Just run that. Putting the app anywhere but /Applications will break things due to sandboxing.

if I'm already syncing via a 1password.com membership, will that have to be reset also -- or just the other sync options?

Nope. It will pickup your existing setup since both use the same support folder, but even if you did "nuke" things, so long as you have your data in your 1Password account, you just need to sign in to get it back. Cheers! :)

ref: web/support.1password.com#1886

• saweyer
    saweyer
    Community Member

that worked for updating to Agilebits 7.2.5 version. thanks.
    note: in order to delete the App Store "1Password7.app", I not only had to quit the app, and option-click the Menubar icon to quit that, but also quit Safari (& I presume any open browser) with the 1Password extension installed (I didn't have to uninstall the extensions -- those got updated during install of new version). after deleting app & restart, entered master pw, and off and running.

• saweyer
    saweyer
    Community Member

p.s. [replace last sentence]
    after deleting app & restart -- and installing new 7.2.5 version -- entered master pw, and off and running.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Indeed, you'd need to quit all of that, so I suggested restarting instead. A bit simpler. Anyway, just glad that you're back up and running. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.