My purchase now worthless?

Hi,
I have sent several emails, used the "contact us" form several times and tweeted at you for help (as suggested on your webpage) but never had a single response. So running out of idea's, this is my final attempt to get some support:

I purchased 1password on 28 Feb 2016 (Order Number: 8J687032V2322060J ) and have been using it ever since and been 100% satisfied with my purchase. A recent reinstall of windows meant a reinstall of 1password as well and after doing so noted I now have version 7 which is in read-only mode until I register it. No problem I figure, I have paid for this software, I have a registration key - but no.
Apparently my purchase is not valid for future versions of 1password and I now have to RE-Purchase the product to obtain a "license file" in order to register a program I've already purchased and have been using just fine up to now.
Apparently my purchase in 2016 neglected to mention that it does not cover future versions. (Had I known that I would not have purchase it.) Clearly I was mistaken with this assumption.

So am I correct to assume that if I wish to continue to use 1password V7 I, as an existing customer, have to re-purchase the software AGAIN? (Will I be told I need to re-purchase V8 and V9 when they too become available?) Surely some sort of rebate should be possible for pre existing customers?

Suffice to say I am not particularly impressed with this situation, not to mention the lack of support received from my numerous attempts to contact you regarding this matter. As a "paying customer" I would have thought that some sort of priority would be given for support queries from known customers. Clearly I was again mistaken with this assumption.

Please advise me on my options to proceed?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win7 x64
Sync Type: Local file

Comments

• @folken your purchase isn't worthless, you can still use the version you purchased for as long as you want.

You can find the older versions here. :)

So am I correct to assume that if I wish to continue to use 1password V7 I, as an existing customer, have to re-purchase the software AGAIN?

No, you never purchased 1Password 7 so you can't "continue to use" it. You can however continue to use the version you purchased.

Will I be told I need to re-purchase V8 and V9 when they too become available?

Yes. If you make one-off purchases then you're buying a particular version.

Apparently my purchase in 2016 neglected to mention that it does not cover future versions.

The same is the case with every piece of software sold anywhere in the world.

Upgrades aren't free, they cost developer time and money.

Microsoft Office, Windows, Photoshop to name but a few all require you to pay each time a new version number comes out.

However, AgileBits do allow you to purchase an ongoing subscription which includes updates to future versions and it allows you to use 1Password on as many computers or devices (regardless of operating system) that you wish to.

As a "paying customer" I would have thought that some sort of priority would be given for support queries from known customers.

Each time you contact 1Password you put yourself to the back of queue because they deal with emails on a first come, first served basis. Sending a new message puts you back to square one.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Hi, I have sent several emails, used the "contact us" form several times and tweeted at you for help (as suggested on your webpage) but never had a single response. So running out of idea's, this is my final attempt to get some support:

@folken: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! We try to respond to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis, but if you're sending us multiple messages in different places, I'm sorry if it takes us a bit longer to get back to you than you were hoping. :blush:

I purchased 1password on 28 Feb 2016 (Order Number: 8J687032V2322060J ) and have been using it ever since and been 100% satisfied with my purchase. A recent reinstall of windows meant a reinstall of 1password as well and after doing so noted I now have version 7 which is in read-only mode until I register it. No problem I figure, I have paid for this software, I have a registration key - but no.
    Apparently my purchase is not valid for future versions of 1password and I now have to RE-Purchase the product to obtain a "license file" in order to register a program I've already purchased and have been using just fine up to now.

Apparently my purchase in 2016 neglected to mention that it does not cover future versions. (Had I known that I would not have purchase it.) Clearly I was mistaken with this assumption.

I'm really sorry for the confusion. When you purchased, it would have said something "1Password 4 for Windows license", since that was what was for sale at the time. It isn't reasonable for us to sell you something that doesn't exist, and the new Windows app, quite literally, did not even exist at that time. It's also not sustainable for us to charge once and then work forever. So 1Password licenses have always been sold for the specific version purchased -- 1Password 4 for Windows, etc. -- with minor updates (e.g. 4.2) being free and major upgrades (e.g. 7.0) being a separate purchase.

You do not, however, need to pay again to use the version you already purchased. You can find links to older versions at the bottom here:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#legacy-downloads

And your existing license will work for the version you bought.

So am I correct to assume that if I wish to continue to use 1password V7 I, as an existing customer, have to re-purchase the software AGAIN? (Will I be told I need to re-purchase V8 and V9 when they too become available?) Surely some sort of rebate should be possible for pre existing customers?

If you want to use 1Password 7, you will need to pay for 1Password 7. 1Password 8, 9, etc. do not exist, but I expect the same will hold true for those in the future as well.

We do, however, have 1Password memberships available, which include all of the apps and updates:

About 1Password membership

Or, if you want a license just for version 7 of the Windows app, those are available at a discount currently:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

Suffice to say I am not particularly impressed with this situation, not to mention the lack of support received from my numerous attempts to contact you regarding this matter. As a "paying customer" I would have thought that some sort of priority would be given for support queries from known customers. Clearly I was again mistaken with this assumption.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we don't prioritize one customer over another. I'm sorry you had to wait, but I do think it's fair that we reply to others who contacted us before you first. Thanks for your patience.

Please advise me on my options to proceed?

I'll follow up with you via email in case you have additional questions specific to your purchase, etc.

ref: VGE-11766-659

• Thank you for your response(s). Had I known the futility of my attempts to contact you elsewhere I would have come here first.

I'll follow up with you via email in case you have additional questions specific to your purchase, etc.

Thank you. I look forward to it as I do have additional questions.

I would like to clarify one thing here however:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we don't prioritize one customer over another. I'm sorry you had to wait, but I do think it's fair that we reply to others who contacted us before you first.

You clearly misunderstood me. To clarify: What I'm saying is that as a paying customer I expect my support queries to be prioritized over a random NON-Customer who may be emailing you with some arbitrary question about installing the trial version (for example).
    I can imagine the amount of emails you receive to be immense and am merely suggesting that customers requiring (possibly) urgent support should be able to reach you easier through the tons of other mail you undoubtedly receive from everyone else that is NOT a paying customer. If ALL mails are responded to on a first come first served basis, that does not seem fair to paying customers. Feel free to disagree, but that is my opinion regardless.

I look forward to hearing from you via email to determine my next course of action. Thanks again.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It looks like Brenty has been in touch via email. Let's continue the conversation there, please. :)

Ben

• editortomeditortom Junior Member

OP wrote: "Apparently my purchase in 2016 ...does not cover future versions."
    gazu wrote: "The same is the case with every piece of software sold anywhere in the world."

Actually, that's not true. A Chronosync license purchased in 2002 is still valid today, and entitles the user to every single update, minor or major; the most recent was in late 2018.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited March 1

I think gazu was being hyperbolic. While it is true for many (perhaps most) commercial software licenses obviously it is not true universally.

Ben

• FYI: I'm still awaiting contact via email from Brenty as mentioned above...

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @folken!

We are very sorry for the delay but we have been experiencing a surge of user requests lately, so we are not replying to emails as fast as we normally do. I wanted to assure you, though, that we reply to every email in the order we receive them, so I promise we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Email is also the best place to discuss this so we can avoid sharing purchase information in the forum here.

Thank you very much for your patience!

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited March 4

@folken: I emailed you 6 days ago, about the same time I commented above, and haven't seen a reply from you. I'll resend that now, and if you're still not seeing it please check your spam filter. Let me know either way if you are able to receive my email.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file