Can I sync 1Password 7 subscription on several devices and 1 password 6 on old iMac

CBGuy
CBGuy
Community Member

I have several computers and IOS devices and all are in sync using 1password 6. Unfortunately my Old iMac is running El Capitan and is to old to upgrade the OS. How can I have all my devices in sync if I upgrade to 1 password 7 subscription?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CBGuy - thanks for the question. :) There's a difference between upgrading versions of Mac (or Windows) app, and switching from a standalone setup to a 1password.com account. With 1Password 7 for Mac, we make it easy to do both simultaneously, but you can do one OR the other separately, without doing the other one.
    Here’s our list of requirements for 1Password; you'll notice that 1Password accounts require only 1Password for Mac version 6.6 or later (for now). There may come a day when changes to the 1password.com server code mean that compatibility with older versions gets broken and that will 6.6 will need to be updated...but for now, you can upgrade some of your devices to 1Password 7 for Mac and leave others running at least 6.6, and have all of them use the same 1password.com account. :) Here's how to migrate your data to a 1password.com account. Make sure you go through all the steps on all of your devices, and let us know if you run into any troubles or have questions.

• Ron_Sorensen
    Ron_Sorensen
    Community Member

Can I select A free trial subscription (annual) and while on the free trial migrate all devices over to 1Password 7 except leave iMac on 1password 6? At the end of the 30 day trial will the trial automatically switch to annual scription and deduct my payment without me having to go in again and switch from trial to annual subscription?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Rod_Sorensen - I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Yes, both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac (6.6 or later) can work with 1password.com accounts. When you sign up for an account, if you add a credit card for payment during the sign-up, then it's assumed you're doing so because you want to continue with your account, and at the end of the 30-day free trial, you will be billed. If you're not sure, then don't add a credit card during sign up (or, if you've already added one, go to the Billing tab of your account in a browser and remove it), and at the end of the 30-day free trial, your account will enter Frozen status. In the latter case, you'll get an email notifying you that your account is about to become frozen, but that's the only major difference. Hope that answers your question.

• CBGuy
    CBGuy
    Community Member

If you use the Apple App Store to get the free trial and after 30 days the subscription will the charge go directly to the Visa card or to the Apple store account then if there isn’t enough credits in the App Store account go to the Visa card associated to that Apple App Store account? Eg. I’ve been given an Apple gift card and will deposit it into my iTunes/App Store account. Each month my iCloud storage fee is taken from there but if there are not enough credits in the iTunes/App Store account the the charge goes to my associated credit card

• CBGuy
    CBGuy
    Community Member

I see my post above is not really clear that it is a question. so here it is again perhaps a little clearer.
    If I use the Apple App Store signup for the free 30 day subscription trial and input my credit card, at the conclusion of the 30 day free trial exactly how is the annual fee charge processed?.
    Question: Does the subscription charge go directly to my Visa card or alternately does the charge get processed to my Apple store account then if there isn’t enough Money/credits in the App Store account the charge gets processed to the Visa card associated to that Apple App Store account?

For example, I’ve been given a $200 Apple gift card So I register/deposit that cards funds into my iTunes/App Store account. My itunes/App store account then has a $200 credit. I have purchased extra iCloud storage so each month I am charged $4,19. Each month my iCloud storage fee is processed to my iTunes/App store account and since there is $200 in credits no charge is processed to my visa card. However, if there are not enough credits in the iTunes/App Store account to pay the charge, then any uncovered balance is processed to the Credit card I have associated to my iTunes/app store.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CBguy - you don't have to use the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac to get a 30-day free trial; the version downloaded and installed from our downloads page will give you a 30-day trial of a 1password.com account as well. It's not the version of 1Password for Mac, it's signing up for an account that gives you the 30-day trial. Anyway, if you want to use the Mac App Store version so you can use App Store/iTunes gift cards (or for any other reason), that's fine as well. Subscription charges for 1password.com accounts via the Mac App Store follow Apple's guidelines for any subscription -- it should use your balance first, then apply the rest to whatever credit card you have set up in iTunes.

• CBGuy
    CBGuy
    Community Member

I went to the Apple App store and there seems to be a change. There is only the 1password 7 entry and it doesn't mention monthly or annual on this page and you can download for free. it does mention in app purchases and on the lower right they say the top in app purchases are;
    1. 1Password monthly subscription $5.49
    2. 1Password Annual subscription $46.99
    3. 1Password monthly subscription $8.99
    4. 1Password Annual subscription $78.99

My app store is set to Canadian so I expect these are Canadian $ However why the 2 prices for Monthly and 2 prices for Annual?
    What exactly is the Annual price in CDN $

Do I have to download and install the free app to get to the pricing? If so and the annual subscription is $78.99 I would probably not go this route so what would having installed the 1password 7 subscription do to my 1Password version 6 that I am currently running.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@CBGuy Your items 1 & 2 are for individual sub. (Billed monthly--12 individual bills; or annually--1 bill per year). Note the 12x billing results in an annual bill of $65.88 vs the single billing of $46.99.
    Items 3 & 4 are family subs. with the same calculations as the individual sub.

• CBGuy
    CBGuy
    Community Member

if I do a individual sub billed annually then later wish to change to a family sub is that possible? I intend to subscribe thru Apple app store

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@CBguy If that is your intention I would recommend that you start with an individual sub from AgileBits, since the upgrade to Fam sub. is much easier to do. However, it can be done starting with the App Store version. An AgileBits person will be along eventually to explain the entire process to you. hth

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CBGuy - I'm with @vplewis - if you know for certain that you're planning to switch from an individual 1Password account to 1Password Families at some point in the future, then I'd strongly suggest you use our direct billing since Apple provides no easy way to switch. If you have direct billing through Stripe (our payment processor), it's as simple as signing into your account in a browser and clicking the "Invite People" link in the right sidebar. Your billing will be switched automatically.

This discussion has been closed.