Import password from Chrome - Duplicates?

Team,

I have been provided with the option to import password from chrome by 1Password X. This is great. Now if there are duplicates how that situation is handled?

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: 1.14.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @Abhijit!

I wish I had better news, but cleaning up duplicates from Chrome imports is a manual process. I would personally love to see a way to clean them up, but it is a very difficult thing to do right; 1Password accidentally deleting credentials that aren't exact duplicates would be nothing short of a disaster. Having said that, we might be able to implement this at some point in the future, but I can't make any promises.

1Password Mac app does have a tool for cleaning up duplicates, but I believe it wouldn't work in this case because the tool is very conservative. If two items are even a tiny bit different (modified date, etc), 1Password will not remove them:

1. Select and switch to a vault you want to remove duplicates from, in the vault menu (top left of your 1Password window.)
    2. Click Help > Tools > Clean up duplicate items.

Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Hi Sebastian,

"1Password accidentally deleting credentials that aren't exact duplicates would be nothing short of a disaster." - You need not have to delete anything at all. You just need to present user likely duplicates. And let user decide.

I use 1Password for Windows and do not see the option you are referring to above which I guess is only for MAC and 1Password for Windows always have a step child treatment. :-)

"If two items are even a tiny bit different (modified date, etc), 1Password will not remove them" - Again you need not have to delete anything at all. You just need to present user likely duplicates. And let user decide.

These are simple enhancements but will help a lot. It is very much likely that there are so many duplicates will happen between chrome imports and 1Password.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• @Abhijit

"1Password accidentally deleting credentials that aren't exact duplicates would be nothing short of a disaster." - You need not have to delete anything at all. You just need to present user likely duplicates. And let user decide.

Indeed; that is certainly one approach we would consider taking.

I use 1Password for Windows and do not see the option you are referring to above which I guess is only for MAC

That is currently the case.

1Password for Windows always have a step child treatment. :-)

It isn't so much that as the fact that it is the younger child and as such hasn't had as much time to grow.

These are simple enhancements but will help a lot. It is very much likely that there are so many duplicates will happen between chrome imports and 1Password.

Agreed. Thanks for taking the time to let us know such improvements would be helpful to you.

Ben

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you Ben!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If you have any further questions @Abhijit do let us know :smile:

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

It is much appreciated that you think "Thanks for taking the time to let us know such improvements would be helpful to you." this way. I am sure we will have capability one day to determine which items are already existing during import from other sources like chrome using Artificial Intelligence.

I think empathy towards customer is most important.

Thank you!

Abhijit

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey Abhijit!

Thanks for your kind words – we really appreciate it!

I'm super interested in helping to improve our import experience, and it sounds like a perfect project for our cross-platform libraries so it could be used in all of our apps including our CLI. My next few months are packed, but I will hopefully spark some excitement and get some time to work on that.

In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend and thanks for using 1Password!

-Beyer

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks Beyer for reviewing the request. You too have a great weekend ahead!

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.