Suggestions and Mac UI annoyances

MajorHavoc
MajorHavoc
Community Member

So I finally made the switch to 1Password7 Family plan. I will say, converting from an old 1Password to the new one was a bit nerve wracking, especially when you push the button to delete the old vault.

And while I am running the Beta now (I do not remember installing that) these issues are in the released version as well.

I have a few requests for your idea pool that I would like to possible see in future versions (my apologies, but as a UI designer, some things just bug me):

1). To share a vault item, I have to either move or copy an entry to a shared vault.
a) If I move the item to the shared vault, that means now sharing people can make changes, I risk my saved password being overwritten by a shared person.

b) If I copy the shared item to the shared vault, then I have two copies showing unless I turn off the shared vault. That is doable, but the problem here is if I change one of my items in the private vault, I have to remember to go change the shared one as well.

I would really like to see either 1). A set of check boxes on every entry where I can choose to share it, and to which vault. And a read-only setting for people sharing. Then one entry is shared with the people I want to see it, they can't change it, and changes are carried to the shared people. or 2). The idea of an alias which can be moved to the shared vault. And alias items are all read only.

Of course, maybe I am just using vaults incorrectly and you have an explanation of how to achieve the same results?

2). I really miss the automatic reveal of a vault entry when I would hover my cursor over a vault-item's icon in the pop-up window. That no longer works. Now when I click on the 1Password icon, a window of matching choices shows up, which is fine. But, to see what is "inside" one of them, I have to slide over to the almost invisible reveal arrow on the right side and click it, which changes the window to a new view. (Can I default to that view?) And then I have to click on each entry to see if it is the one I want. This takes longer than a simple hover.

Any chance of bringing back the hover pop-up so one can quickly look inside an entry? Especially good when one has multiple accounts on a system and many choices appear in the 1Password dialog.

3). The pop-up window when I select 1Password on a page has a very frustrating UI for moving the window. Because the search text field is right in the middle of the large top bar of that window, sometimes when you try and move the window, it does respond because you actually landed in the text area. There are two small "drag areas" above and below the search text field, but you have to hunt for them at times.I suggest a change of color of the drag areas (maybe to gray), both revealing the text field, which is not really visible now, and revealing were to click and drag as well.

4). The 1Password button in a web browser should be a toggle for 1Password windows like the menu bar is. Right now, if the window is open and I click the button again, the window closes and then immediately reopens, which makes no sense. Also, there are times I used to open the 1Password dialog and then need to scroll or move the current web window. Doing so now just closes if you click away anywhere outside the window. I would like ti not to. Perhaps an optional setting for closing such as a). like it is now (close immediately), b) after using an entry, or c) when the button is clicked again d). a red close button on the window?

5). Clicking on the menu bar's 1Password icon now open a window rather than dropping a menu. I used to be able to get to the 1Password app by clicking on the icon, and choosing Open 1Password under the gear icon. Now it does not act as a menu item, but rather to open a window. Kind of breaks the UI for a menu bar item. Maybe add the menu as a right click option to work like the old program did as a compromise?

And a few bugs:

1). A bug: if you type a long entry into the 1Password window's search field, the list below goes empty if nothing matched as expected. Pressing the close "x" deletes the search entry, but the window stays blank. This seems to only happen when the text exceeds the space available. Less than that amount, it works fine.

1. A bug: Occasionally, the 1Password buttons simple fail to do anything, or they take a VERY long time to actually decide to open the window. As long as 30 seconds if I wait. The computer is not busy, as other things are working just fine at the usual speed.

I will probably have more as I continue to use it. Thanks for listening.

1Password Version: 7.6.2 Beta-1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS-X 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @MajorHavoc ,

First I want to say thank you for taking the time to write up your suggestions and post them. Feedback like this is immensely valuable and helps us make 1Password better.

Now, first I'll address your recommendations:

1. Vaults are encrypted on a vault by vault bases. Each vault contains a key that is used to decrypt/encrypt the items. So, it's not possible to share a single item in a vault without technically giving the user user to modify all of the items in that vault. However, one of your concerns is other people overwriting the data in the item. What I recommend in this situation is to create a new vault. One that is read/write for you, but only allows read privileges for other members. Then they can use the item, but not change it. This is how I've set up vaults in my family. My children get to see the items for their accounts, our Netflix login, etc., but they can't change them. Only my wife and I have write permission to do that.

So you bring up a good point about copying. For this reason, we don't recommend copying. We recommend moving it and still having only one copy of the item. However, if you use the "All Vaults" feature, you can selectively include the read-only vault with your most-used vaults to reduce the hassle when using the shared items.

1. We have received a fair bit of feedback over this and we are making some improvements to the 1Password mini window. We'll keep that in mind.

2. Interesting idea. I'll pass that on to the team. I agree that finding the "drag spots" on the window can be difficult.

3. We'll look into that issue - we may be able to make clicking on the button close the window, if the window is already open. There are no plans to make the window stay open until manually closed though. However, do note that if you are looking at a specific item, you can click a button (it looks like two overlapping rectangles) to open that item in its own window, which will stay open until you close that.

4. Yes, right now it's a little more geared toward keyboard shortcuts. We will improve that behaviour when using a mouse. While it won't go back to being a menu, we can make it behave a little more like one.

Now on to your bugs:

1. We plan on fixing that issue soon.

2. Does this happen only when 1Password is locked? We've seen a few instances where it takes a long time to open while locked, but not while unlocked.

Thanks again for writing in. I hope my responses were satisfactory. Feel free to reply if you have further questions or recommendations.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: apple-3223

This discussion has been closed.