1Password 6 vs 1Password 7

Options
ttim03
ttim03
Community Member
edited March 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

This is based on logins that require two screens to login like username or email on first screen and password on second screen. For example outlook.com

1Password 6 fills in both automatically with one click 1Password 7 takes two clicks. Is there anyway to fix this please or have this one click happen again where it will fill your username or email and password both even if it requires 2 pages to login? Thanks.

https://ufile.io/ycqrc (1Password 6 Video)

https://ufile.io/t1jq3 (1Password 7 Video)

I took the necessary precautions and used a dummy email so I don't care who sees it.

If you would prefer me to upload it to YouTube I can.

P.S. Happens on iOS now too :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• That's actually something that changed a while back, @ttim03, and I'm not sure when it happened or why. I could have been something that changed in the extension itself or the brain in which case @littlebobbytables might know better.

Although it's not something you can fix in the companion extension right now, 1Password X does fill both using some machine learning magic, so if that's an option for you, you might give it a try. With desktop app integration for 1Password X in the pipes, too, even if it's not something that works for you now, it may be a better option down the road depending on why.

As for iOS, I believe that iOS itself controls that part of filling. With the introduction of Password AutoFill in iOS 12, the landscape changed pretty dramatically and much of my less extensive iOS knowledge is a bit outdated. I think that's something we don't have in our control at the moment, but @Ben would be able to confirm and explain better if I'm totally off-base. :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ttim03,

Starting in 1Password 7, for Mac, iOS and Windows, the clients are using new filling code which was originally built around 1Password X. There are a number of differences between it and the older filling logic and one is the newer code is extremely reluctant to interact with fields that are not visible. The older code wasn't intentionally designed to fill multiple stages like the example you use in the video but more a happy side-effect.

The reason why a user won't see the same thing with 1Password X is it has a notion of state when it comes to filling and once the password field becomes visible and the page places focus on it it picks up where it left off. The native clients and the companion extension have no equivalent state, each fill is separate and must be initiated by the user.

1Password for iOS is made a little more complex by the possibility of iOS 12's AutoFill as well. We don't control the actual filling there, it's all handled by iOS but we do still control filling when the iOS Safari extension is used. How it may behave is likely a per individual site but when testing AutoFill on login.live.com I found it filled both stages. That might at least help a little on the iOS side of things.

This discussion has been closed.