Cannot get option for fingerprint to show up. Wants pw

Options
NovaScotian
NovaScotian
Community Member
edited March 2019 in iOS

For some reason my iOS version will not give me the option of using a fingerprint for entry. Why?

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

What kind of iPhone do you use? Is TouchID enabled in the System-Settings (Settings App - Touch ID & Code).

If it is enabled system-wide, is it also activated in the 1Password-App under Settings-Security?

If you have the problem, that the Safari integration does not unlock with the fingerprint, this is the case when the phone was restarted and you haven't unlocked the App itself once with the password. After you unlock the app once with your password, afterwards the safari integration will accept TouchID again. This is for security reasons.

• Ben
    Options

Hello again @NovaScotian.

It's been a while. I hope other than this hiccup 1Password has been working well for you. To clarify: do you mean you haven't been able to turn Touch ID on for 1Password at all, or just in one specific instance you launched 1Password and were prompted for the Master Password rather than Touch ID (with no option for such)?

If the former... Touch ID must be enabled for the device itself in order to enable it for 1Password. We have a guide which may be helpful here:

Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad

If the latter... Touch ID isn't a replacement for the Master Password. There are a number of circumstances under which the Master Password may be requested in instead of Face ID:

1. The device has been restarted
    2. The timeout set in 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password
    3. Touch ID was cancelled or interrupted on the previous launch of 1Password
    4. Touch ID doesn't recognize your fingerprint after multiple attempts
    5. You change the settings in the Settings app under Touch ID & Passcode
    6. Touch ID fails for any reason

This is a non-exhaustive list -- there may be other cases where it would be required. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. A flaw for me — I won’t be able to use 1P until I look up its PW when I get home.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

You can disable the request for the masterpassword in the 1Password-App Settings (Settings-Security -> Set the option on the top to „never“). However, I would not recommend this, since it makes it easier for an attacker, but it‘s your decision where you feel most comfortable on the spectrum of security and convenience.

Have a great sunday!

• Ben
    Options

@peacekeeper

That has impact on points #1 and #2 above, but running into any of the rest would still require the Master Password. I would really have to encourage everyone to memorize their Master Password. Typing it more regularly may actually help with that effort (rather than essentiially always using Touch ID). Building a product like 1Password there is always a fine balancing act between conveniencce and security. 1Password provides a great convenience in that you no longer have to remember hundreds of different passwords, but for security purposes you do still need to remember one.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.