How to upgrade to 1Password 7 from 1Password 4

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to install 1Password 7.

Comments

• Somehow my Master Code changed on my phone! I can't believe I did it somehow. Can I delete the data and icon from my phone so as to clear the phone, then re-sync with my PC in order to re-establish the data on the phone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:My android phone says my password has been changed? Can I delete the icon and resync with my PC?

• All these suggestions sound great! My problem is the same, upgrading from version 4 on a license, to version 7 with a subscription. But I have no idea what the referenced "installer 4-7-2 is, or does, or how to get there? Or even what to do if I installed it. I have no idea where to go to find how to put version 7 on my Windows PC. This talk is way over my head! HELP!! Give me a step by step procedure, and maybe I can follow it. Thanks

• Hi @tedmorsetedmorse11,

I've merged both of your comments in this single thread, let's try to keep this in one place, so we can walk you through with getting 1Password up and running on your threads.

We replied to your email but ignore that, let's talk here.

For now, are you able to open 1Password 4 on your PC and see your data?

• This is for Mike T. Is this “Leave a Comment” place where I can deal directly with you?
    Thanks for getting back to me. I am totally frustrated. It would certainly be helpful if I could just deal directly with someone like you. Since I had not heard back I stumbled around thru forum topics, and wound up more confused!
    To answer your question, yes I can open my PC and see my data. I went further and tried to get version 7, signed up for a subscription,which was accepted, but still don’t know if I have succeeded in getting it installed. There are too many diversions in the instructions for me to know where I am going. I get off on some “rabbit trail”, then hit another trail, then another.
    I am trying to send this to you in the Comment section, but don’t know if it will even reach you!

Yes, but if you're not comfortable, we can switch to the email exclusively if you want. We can help quickly in one place instead of having emails and various threads to talk in, which would lead to that unfortunate frustrations you're feeling.

We will help you with this but I must ask that you don't go further on your own without our instructions because it can confuse both of us if we're not on the same page. Normally, how this would work is that we would advise you to open your existing vault in 1Password 7 first and then you sign in to your account, this will give you the ability to migrate your vault automatically.

Since you installed 1Password 7, we need to know what it is configured as now. Can you open 1Password 7 right now and then unlock, do you see any data in there that you expect to see from 1Password 4?

• OK. I think your proposal is great! Without me searching around, let me get started with:
    you want me to open 1Password 7 right now and then unlock. I don't know how to open 1Password 7 specifically, or whether I'm opening 1Password 4. How do I tell the difference? If you can tell me that, maybe we can make some progress.
    Thanks

Sorry about the delay. If you open start and search for 1Password, 1Password 7 will show up as 1Password without a version number while 1Password 4 will have 4 in it.

You can also find out what version you're running via the Help menu > About 1Password.

• Thanks for responding.
    You are assuming more than I know.

I don't have a clue how to "start and search for 1Password". I don't have a "start" option in my Windows program. The way I start 1Password 4 is to click on my 1Password 4 icon,

I went to Internet Explorer and searched for 1Password and got 1Password which was updated to vs 7.3.657. I was asked for the Master Password. This brought me to a full screen which had Secret Key, etc. It showed there was 1 vault, and 3 items, but no vs. 4 logins.

Is this what you were looking for?

Thanks

• That may be what we're after @tedmorsetedmorse11, but just to be extra sure, let's use Mike's instructions. You can access 1Password in your browser directly, so I want to make sure that's not what you did and you were for sure looking at your desktop app.

The Start menu is that Widows icon at the bottom left of your screen. Click that icon, then type 1Password. This will search your PC for 1Password. You may see two results – 1Password and 1Password 4.6.2.626. Click the one that says just 1Password. That will open 1Password 7. If you're asked for your Master Password, go ahead and enter it to unlock your app and let us know what you see. It may be exactly what you saw with your steps and that's totally fine. If you see anything other than a screen asking for your Master Password, just let me know what it looks like as best you can.

This will tell us how far you've got with 1Password 7 so we can ensure we're starting in the right place. :+1:

• OK.
    Went to the Windows logo, RIGHT clicked and got along list of options, including SEARCH.
    Typed 1Password, got long list of 1Password various things, clicked1Password - desktop app.
    That went to your 1Password Official Site. Chose the sign-in option.
    Got page with Secret Key and request for Master Password.
    This brought me to the same page I mentioned in my last email. The Secret Key on this page is the one I got with version 7, so I guess this is the right place. There was a box on this page for 1Password Account w/my email address. I clicked the box.

This brought me to a new screen with Welcome to 1Password, follow these steps.
    Step one: Install these apps.
    Step two: Start saving your passwords
    Below that it said ,Open my vault.

I stopped there because Mike said to not go any further before we’re sure we’re on the right track. I hope we are!

Let me know.

Thanks
    Ted

• I had to phone a friend to check me on this, but it sounds to me like you're on the web app, @tedmorsetedmorse11. If I'm right, you're seeing a red wagon in that "welcome to 1Password" box, right? If I'm correct, we're are totally on the same page, so give this a go:

1. Click that "Get the Apps" link in that box with the wagon. This will take you to a new page with much the same instructions, but more detailed.
    2. On this page, click the blue box that says "Add your account directly". It's under Step 2.
    3. You'll see a dialogue asking if you'd like to allow this link to open 1Password. Tell it that's okay.

At this point, you may see another window pop up with a screen that has your e-mail, an address like https://my.1password.com, and your Secret Key filled. If you do see this, you've got 1Password 7 installed and just need to enter your Master Password and sign in.

If nothing happens, that means you likely don't have the app, so leave that web page you were on open and do this:

1. Install 1Password 7 from here.
    2. Click that blue box to "Add your account directly" again.
    3. Allow that link to open 1Password, then enter your Master Password and sign in.

At this point, you should have 1Password 7 all set up. Take a look around and see if everything looks okay. You should also have a 1Password shortcut in your start menu you can use. One thing to note is that if you don't have your data in 1Password 7 yet, that's okay. Depending on how far along you'd got before, it might be there already, but if it isn't we can import it. 1Password 7 can't grab your data from 1Password 4 on its own, so if you don't have it, just let me know. :+1:

• OK, making progress, I hope!!
    I followed your instructions, exactly, except after I clkd “Addyour account directly” I got Did you mean to switch apps?
    It said Microsoft Edge is trying to open “1Password for Windows desktop” Yes/No? I tried No and nothing happened. When I clkd Yes it went to the pop up with the screen that has the email,an address w/my password.com, and the Secret Key.
    I entered my Master Password and signed in.
    This brought me to a screen with:
    Ted. 0 vaults
    All items
    Favorites
    WATCHTOWER

CATEGORIES

Etc

There is no data in any of these.

Are we about ready to import data?

How do we do that?

How do I get a 1Password icon on my desktop?
    Also I will need to add two more devices, an iPad, and an Android phone to 1Password.

Thanks
    Ted

• 2/26
    Please read my previous comment. I thought I had sent it to you, but it is still here! Oops!!

• OK, making progress, I hope!!
    I followed your instructions, exactly, except after I clkd “Addyour account directly” I got Did you mean to switch apps?
    It said Microsoft Edge is trying to open “1Password for Windows desktop” Yes/No? I tried No and nothing happened. When I clkd Yes it went to the pop up with the screen that has the email,an address w/my password.com, and the Secret Key.
    I entered my Master Password and signed in.
    This brought me to a screen with:
    Ted. 0 vaults
    All items
    Favorites
    WATCHTOWER

CATEGORIES

Etc

There is no data in any of these.

Are we about ready to import data?

How do we do that?

How do I get a 1Password icon on my desktop?
    Also I will need to add two more devices, an iPad, and an Android phone to 1Password.

• @tedmorsetedmorse11:

At this point, I think I'd prefer to take a look at some diagnostics. No data is expected, but the mention of no vaults gives me pause and I'd like to make sure everything is okay.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and include link to this thread. That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :+1:

Thanks! :chuffed:

• 2/28
    Just looked again at that popup screen and it says " 1 vault " , I swear it said 0 vault before.

I went to the send Diagnostics Report vs 7, several pages. It says No Known Issues Found. In trying to send it to you it went off to Mozilla wanting to create some new path or something. I have no idea how to get that to you.

Can it be that we are OK to proceed w/o the diagnostics since there is one vault?

Gees! How can this be so hard?? When I first signed up, with version 4, it was just a breeze, took 10 minutes. I've been messing with this for two weeks. The instructions don't seem t me to present a logical, continuous path to success??

Thanks for your patience!

• There's always a happy path, @tedmorsetedmorse11, but there are also always way to fall off. Of course, it's ideal if you don't, but when things go awry, that's why we're here. To make sure you get back on that happy path. :+1:

So, if you open and unlock 1Password, then press Ctrl + D and that one vault you've got is called Personal, I think we're good and can import your 1Password 4 data. Give it a check and if your vault is called anything else, stop here and let me know. If you see Personal:

1. Choose 1Password > Import.
    2. Click Agile Keychain or OPVault folder.
    3. Click "Select a folder" and navigate to your 1Password 4 vault's location. If you're not sure where it is, pop open 1Password 4, unlock it, then choose File > Reopen 1Password vault. The file path with the check is where your vault lives. Once you find that vault, select it and click "Select folder".
    4. Where asked for your vault password, enter your Master Password that you use to unlock 1Password 4.
    5. Click Import.

1Password 7 will do its thing and import your vault. Once it's done, you'll see your item list. Make sure you see everything you need and everything looks good. If all is well:

1. Uninstall 1Password 4.
    2. Choose 1Password > Exit in 1Password 7 and open it again.

That last bit will let 1Password 7 take over your extension and you should be set. As always, though, any questions, troubles or hiccups, let me know. :chuffed:

• tedmorsetedmorse11
    tedmorsetedmorse11
    Community Member

Whew!! Finally!
    I think I have imported the old vault to version 7. I followed your latest instruction, with a couple of short detours, then back. The item list came up fine. So I guess it's all there.
    Now, I'm not sure how to Uninstall version 4. I went to control panel to Uninstall it, but the only program there is version 7. ?? (No way am I going to touch that!!) The second step you have there is "Choose 1 Password>Exit in 1Password 7 and open it again". I have no idea what that means.
    Am I supposed to get a new desktop icon with the new version? Does that appear after version 4 is uninstalled.

OK, I'm going to try to get the new version installed on my iPad, and Android phone. I may need more help. Sorry! :(

Also, on the popup screen I have been working from it is showing a new password. I didn't consciously change it? However my old password seems to work ok. Why is that?

Thanks again for your patience!

• 1Password 4 should be in Control Panel @tedmorsetedmorse11. Are you certain you didn't uninstall it already? I know I haven't been with you the whole time, so that I could make at least one erroneous assumption wouldn't be too surprising. If you're on Windows 10, it's worth trying Apps & Features as well. You can right-click Start, then select Apps & Features to get there. You can uninstall 1Password 4 from there as well. Apps & Features is something new to Windows 10, but it serves much the same function as Control Panel, just looks a fair bit different. If you're not finding 1Password 4 anywhere, let me know. We can check in Task Manager if it's running to see if maybe you did uninstall it before.

As for the new password, I'm not sure why that might me. Could you maybe describe in a bit more detail what's up with this new password? Are you being asked for a different password than you expect in 1Password 7? The extension? It's possible for your standalone vault to have a different password than your account, but you'd have had to choose that different password for your account. Describing what you're trying to do when you see this might help me give you something more actionable here rather than just wild guesses.

Also, I'm so glad to hear you've got 1Password 7 running! Woo hoo! I hope the other devices go smoothly and you have a relaxing weekend free of messing with 1Password ahead of you. :chuffed:

• tedmorsetedmorse11
    tedmorsetedmorse11
    Community Member

Hi! It's me again.

Looks like I'm getting close.

Version 4 is still in one of my vaults on my PC. I can't find how to uninstall it, although it doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

I have my PC all loaded up with the version 7, and my Android phone picked it up without me consciously doing anything. Both seem to work fine. Magic!

My iPad refuses to upgrade to version 7, but version 4 is still there. I have tried to install the version 7 app on it but that doesn't seem to work. What to do, what to do??.

Taking the weekend off.

Thanks for your help!

• tedmorsetedmorse11
    tedmorsetedmorse11
    Community Member

Whoa, it's me again!
    I don't know what I did, but my iPad just got converted to version 7 and all the logins are there! I closed it out just to try it, and when I tried to sign back into it, it reverted to version 4. Can't get 7 back again. Gremlins!!!

FRUSTRATING! Wish I knew what I did, but I don't!

• tedmorsetedmorse11
    tedmorsetedmorse11
    Community Member

Hah! Played around with it some more. MIRACLE! Don't know what I did, but all three, PC, iPad, and Android phone have version 7, are syncing together, all have the 1Password icon. I'm holding my breath that they all stay where they are and continue working like they are now.

Thanks for your help, and patience!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tedmorsetedmorse11: I'm not sure I follow either. 1Password for iOS versions 4, 5, 6, and 7 are all the same app, just updates to it, with the same App Store listing. You cannot have more than one of these installed on a device. The App Store won't allow it. You'd only have 1Password 4, 5, or 6 if you were running an old version of iOS which won't allow you to update to version 7, or if you've chosen to update apps manually and have not updated 1Password yet. So I guess the questions are:

1. What version of iOS is your iPad running?
    2. Are you signed into the same 1Password.com membership subscription account on all of your devices?

Hopefully you won't encounter any further issues, but we're here to help no matter what. :)

• tedmorsetedmorse11
    tedmorsetedmorse11
    Community Member

Thanks for your comments. There is something weird about the iPad.1.
    It's running iOS 12.1.4.
    2. I put in a dummy item category to see if it would always run that item. Well it doesn't. Maybe your question about the same 1Password membership subscription hits on something. I don't know how to determine that?

I'm glad you are still there to help!

• If you open and unlock 1Password on that iPad, @tedmorsetedmorse11, then tap Settings > 1Password Accounts, it'll show the account you've signed in with (if any). You can then match that against what you see on your Emergency Kit. If you're not signed into an account or the details shown in Settings are different from what's on your Emergency Kit, that might be your trouble. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.