Markdown - insert blank line in secure document

Options
BobH
BobH
Community Member

Hi; I thought I was getting reasonably good at Markdown, but apparently not.
I am trying to insert a blank line between the header and first item. I know you will tell me there is an easy way :)
Bob

So:

Gives:

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @bobh,

The usual way (two trailing spaces) doesn't seem to work, so we've filed a bug with the team responsible for the markdown parsing to address this deficiency.

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @rudy. It's fine with plain text as you've probably spotted, just not with a list.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobH - thanks for noticing and reporting! :)

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, is there any update on this issue? I've been searching the forums for other items with using the enter key (carriage return) to put a blank line into a Secure Note without much success. This was the closest discussion I could find. I am still unable to put blank lines between lists in a Secure Note.

To clarify, if I have a list like the following:

Some random text explaining something:

1. first item in the list
    2. second item in the list
    3. etc. etc.

Some more random text with information, etc.

The blank lines seem to show up just fine in Edit mode, but when you save the document to exit Edit mode, those blank lines do not show up...you see the following instead:

Some random text explaining something:
    1. first item in the list
    2. second item in the list
    3. etc. etc.
    Some more random text with information, etc.

The blank lines seem to be removed.

Let me know if there is a status on this being fixed or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KayJay - you're not doing anything wrong; that's Markdown formatting. And apparently, ours is doing it incorrectly, for the top line break. I've filed an internal issue with the dev team to see what might be going on with it. In the meantime, if you don't want Markdown formatting on your notes, you can turn it off (globally) in Preferences > General by un-checking the box marked "Format Secure Notes using Markdown."

• KayJay
    KayJay
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars !!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KayJay - you're quite welcome. :)

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having fun learning about Markdown this weekend, including some hidden features.

To create a blank line, enter a backslash followed by space.

For example, in a Notes field, these five lines, where [sp] presents a single space...

Leading sentence.
    \[sp]
    1. Item one.
    2. Item two.
    3. Item three.

...will produce the following block of formatted text.

Leading sentence.

1. Item one.
    2. Item two.
    3. Item three.

Of course, this isn't spec'ed on https://support.1password.com/markdown, so in the long run, who knows if this hidden feature will stay intact.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SoKal,

I believe that we wanted to add the most useful and used Markdown commands in our online documentation page. It's not meant to be a copy and paste of the entire Markdown documentation, as there are many online resources for that if you want to dig deeper and learn all the tricks ;)

This discussion has been closed.