Can I restore from iCloud?

MalcolmDavies
MalcolmDavies
Community Member

I lost my Master Password, but everything is backed up to iCloud. Can I delete the app, install it again as a new account and restore from iCloud?
thanks

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.13
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I lost my Master Password, but everything is backed up to iCloud. Can I delete the app, install it again and restore from iCloud?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @MalcolmDavies! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. When you say you "lost" your Master Password, do you mean you changed it recently (or ever)? Did you perhaps switch from a standalone (local) 1Password setup to a 1password.com account, with a different Master Password? If you have local 1Password data, synced via iCloud, and you can't remember your Master Password, your data will be lost UNLESS you changed the Master Password and that's why you can't remember it. If that's the case, we may be able to restore from an earlier backup of your data, when you were using the previous Master Password. Can you tell me a bit more? Don't reveal any personally-identifying information, just give me a little more of the backstory so I know how best to help? Thanks in advance.

• MalcolmDavies
    MalcolmDavies
    Community Member

Lars, Thank you for your very helpful message.
    I wanted to change my master password because of broader security concerns. I changed the password using your password generator, I thought successfully. After that I could not log in with the new password or the old one.
    Thanks. Malcolm

• MalcolmDavies
    MalcolmDavies
    Community Member

I should add that I can sign onto 1Password using my fingerprint, but then I get an "Authentication Error" and a box showing my email, Secret Key and a request for the Master Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MalcolmDavies - thanks for the additional information. If you're getting that kind of message, it means you have at least a 1password.com account (and possibly local vaults as well). What happens if you click Preferences > Vaults -- what do you see there? How many vaults, and what are their names?

• MalcolmDavies
    MalcolmDavies
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, I have just one Vault it is "Personal"
    It is in 1Password7
    I still have access to everything here, but I cannot log onto 1Password.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MalcolmDavies: The Personal/Private vault is part of a 1Password membership account. iCloud would not be at all involved with that. Keep in mind that in order to sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, you will need to have all of your account credentials -- including the Master Password you setup for the account when you signed up. There is no harm in trying many times, but you will not be able to get in without entering all of the correct credentials.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MalcolmDavies - I'd just want to add that if you are unable to sign into your 1password.com account in a browser, but you CAN still access it within 1Password for Mac by using TouchID, then it's imperative for you to copy that data into either a new account or a standalone vault as soon as possible. I'd recommend the former. If something happens on your Mac, like Touch ID crashes or you reboot or upgrade your system, you may be locked out of Touch ID as well and that data will become completely unavailable to you. To make sure this doesn't happen:

1. Visit 1password.com in a browser and click the link at the bottom to create a NEW account.
    2. Go through the same sign-up process you did last time with the new account; use a good Master Password (that you can remember!), and keep your Emergency Kit -- even write down your Master Password in the space provided on the Emergency Kit.
    3. Add your account to 1Password 7 for Mac
    4. Move ALL your data from the old account into the new one.

Let me know when that's done, and we can talk about switching over your subscription via email.

• MalcolmDavies
    MalcolmDavies
    Community Member

Lars,
    Thank you VERY MUCH for your support!!! I was thinking of dropping 1Password, but after this great customer service, I have become a fan again. I followed your instructions, everything is in the new vault. Please let me know how to take the next step, switching subscription.
    thank you
    Malcolm

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MalcolmDavies - thanks for the kind words! On behalf of both brenty and myself, you're quite welcome. :) I've sent you a quick email to the address you used to register for this forum, to give you the first steps of getting your subscription transferred over. Let's keep things going via email at this point instead of in this public forum. :)

This discussion has been closed.