Unable to add 1Password account to app on restored Mac

mjstrasser
mjstrasser
Community Member

I have restored my Mac after a system reinstall by using Migration Assistant for applications and my user.

1Password prompted me to add a 1Password account to the app. This fails via all methods:

• It finds my account from my.1password.com and prompts me for the Master Password. When I enter the correct password it shakes, marking it as incorrect.
  • If I click + and scan the code from 1Password on my phone, then enter the correct password, it puts up a blank alert window with only a yellow warning triangle and an OK button: The same thing happens if I enter details manually. The password is correct because I used the same details to successfully log into my.1password.com in Safari.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac add 1password account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mjstrasser! I'm sorry for the trouble! Given what you said about having used Migration Assistant after a crash, we'll definitely need to get a closer look at this one; it sounds as if some of the necessary background items may not be present. Do you have the ability to sign into your 1password.com account in a browser? This will let us know if you're able to access the account through another channel. Also: do you have backups of the previous hard drive, either via Time Machine or another method like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper?

• mjstrasser
    mjstrasser
    Community Member

Yes I can log into my 1password account in a browser. I have a number of Time Machine backups from which I can restore as many or as few files as I need.

I tried uninstalling 1Password using CleanMyMac that I hoped removed all the relevant files, and then reinstalled the app. But that didn’t work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mjstrasser: Definitely don't use a "cleaner" app, as that often wipes out more than you bargained for. Just to clarify, do you have all of your data in your 1Password account when you sign into the website?

• mjstrasser
    mjstrasser
    Community Member

Yes it is all there. (And on all other devices as well.)

In case it is relevant, I used to sync via Dropbox but now use a 1Password subscription. Could there be some history of old sync on this Mac?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mjstrasser - there may very well be, but you shouldn't need it if you have a 1password.com account that you can still access in a browser which has a complete and up-to-date copy of your data. Since that's the case, I think (hard to say with certainty, with Migration Assistant issues), you should be able to do this:

1. Quit Safari, if it is running.
    2. In 1Password 7 for Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. That will wipe all data currently in 1Password for Mac (but not from your account itself), and 1Password will quit.
    3. Delete 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers like CleanMyMac to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash.
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. After restart, visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of the latest 1Password 7 for Mac installer, and run it. When you launch 1Password for the first time, choose the option to sign into your existing 1Password for Mac account. Let us know how that works for you. :)
  • mjstrasser
    mjstrasser
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, that worked.

By the way, on first launch, 1Password for Mac did not show any categories, items or tags when All vaults were selected. I was also unable to search for items:

But in the browser (all vaults), categories showed up and I could search for items:

But if I select a single vault, everything works fine:

After restarting my Mac and restarting the app, all was fine.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mjstrasser - glad to hear it! Regarding the first-run issue: yes, that's sometimes the case, as 1Password (don't forget) was having to re-import all of your data from the web into its internal SQLite database. It may not show up immediately, but usually does fairly quickly. Glad everything seems sorted out now, cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.