Losing passwords and logins after switch to 1 Password 7.

Options
David Cooke
David Cooke
Community Member

I have been away from 1 password for a couple of weeks and when I did get on a few days ago, I discovered that 10-12 items were no longer accessible. I carefully followed directions to change passwords and and logins and only had success with a couple items. I have spent hours trying to find solutions and am very frustrated.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OSMojave 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:restoring deleted items

Comments

• tearinghairout7
    tearinghairout7
    Community Member
    Options

Hi David. Just read your post and noticed your extension version may be wrong. When you dl'd 1Password 7, version 7.2.5 is included, so you might want to check that out under Safari (if that's what you're running)/ Preferences/Extensions. Also, OSMojave has had an upgrade to version 10.14.3. Don't know if the extension is the issue, but worth checking out?

I understand your frustration. Just figured out to fill in passwords on gmail, opening the small 1Password box from the top toolbar and clicking on the appropriate email "fill", the password magically fills. I'm sure you'll get your issue straightened out. And now I'll let the Team give you the right help. ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Cooke - I'm sorry for the trouble! I'm not quite sure I have a good handle on the situation, though -- 1Password should never make just a few items randomly "inaccessible." Can you tell us a bit more about what specific steps you took, and what wasn't working the way you expected? What did you mean by "get on?" Are you referring to 1Password for Mac or were you doing this in a browser at 1password.com? By "inaccessible," do you mean you the saved credentials in 1Password didn't work to sign into a particular website?

• David Cooke
    David Cooke
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding. I will try to explain the primary problem. When I select a file, I get the site with the member name showing, but there is nothing in the password box. I look up the account in the site at the bottom of the page, copy the password, to the blank password box, hit proceed and the file is successively retrieved. I close the file and when I access it again, the password is missing again. It is obvious that I am missing a step. What should my successive steps be to save the password? Thanks, Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Cooke - it sounds as if you might still have your browser's built-in password manager turned on, since 1Password's normal extension does not automatically fill in data for you. It's up to you, but we recommend turning off your browser’s built-in password manager as it can cause confusion about where things are being saved. I would recommend you also have a look at our guide to saving and filling passwords in 1Password for Mac, and make sure you're using either the browser extension or the keyboard shortcuts to fill your passwords. Let me know if you have any questions.

• David Cooke
    David Cooke
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I still have a couple of problems though: 1) I assume the selector should be on the white ball on the left side to demonstrate that the password manager is turned off, 2) How do I delete old passwords and logins that remain. I still get messages, when I attempt to make new passwords and logins, telling me I have improper or wrong information. How do I get rid of such messages.
    David

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Cooke - "white ball?" Can you take a screenshot of what you’re referring to? Make sure it doesn't include personally-identifying information, please. Also, which browser(s) are you seeing this behavior in?

• David Cooke
    David Cooke
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about the confusing language. I use Google Chrome as my browser. I was referring to the process of Chrome>Toolbar>Settings> Passwords and turning off "Offer to save passwords." I assumed "off" is when the switch is to the left and white colored.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Cooke - yes, that's correct -- the "switch" should be to the left. :)

How do I delete old passwords and logins that remain. I still get messages, when I attempt to make new passwords and logins, telling me I have improper or wrong information. How do I get rid of such messages.

If you're getting these messages from the websites you're visiting, then that's because the information you've saved (and entered into the site) isn't the information the site you're visiting has on file for you. In other words, it's not the correct Login credentials. is that what you're referring to?

• David Cooke
    David Cooke
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I agree and pardon me for not bring able to better define the problem. How do I define and delete those incorrect Login credentials so I would then be able to reenter the data so it works? What I want to do is get rid of the bad data and start over again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Cooke - no need to apologize! We're here to help. I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying/asking. :) If the problem is that you can't sign into these websites because the information you have saved doesn't match what the website expects, then you will need to go through their password reset process. This would be specific to each site for which you don't have the credentials. I can't say exactly why what you have saved in 1Password might not match what the site expects, but you should review our guide on how to save passwords using 1Password for Mac, and make sure you follow that in the future, as you're setting things up. I'd also recommend the guide to changing your passwords. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• David Cooke
    David Cooke
    Community Member
    Options

I Continue to have problems with losing passwords. I have have carefully read all the material in the manual and my problems continue. I am at the point I do not know what to do. I have a sizable number of items I want to utilize on 1password and am simply tired of tryin to find solutions in your written material. I could use better definition of the appearance and proper position of the operating symbols. I think I might just be better to learn how to simply erase any item that does not work and replace it. The method of doing that function as described in your poorly organized instruction is not adequate or functional. I can get some of the items to work and then, when I go back after saving them, there is not a password. Please advise how to fix this problem or may be I should just junk the package despite its good reviews. Thanks if you are able to help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi @David Cooke,

I could use better definition of the appearance and proper position of the operating symbols.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?

I think I might just be better to learn how to simply erase any item that does not work and replace it.

The quickest way would be to right-click on this item and selecting Move to Trash from the contextual menu that appears.

Normally, however, there is no need to do this, and you can just edit that item to update its information.

The method of doing that function as described in your poorly organized instruction is not adequate or functional.

Can you please tell me what you are referring to by "that function" in this case, and link to the instructions we have? If you could let me know where the instructions don't match what you are seeing, I will be happy to test them and update them if necessary, but I will need more details.

I can get some of the items to work and then, when I go back after saving them, there is not a password.

You mean that this is the process you are following?

1. You create a login using 1Password or the browser extension
    2. You use this login to access one of your accounts on a website
    3. You go back to 1Password, and the item is still there, but the password field has been erased, after you logged in?
This discussion has been closed.