Chrome extension not working as expected

As an example, I'm currently trying to sign in to musicnotes.com

I click into the email address field and the 1Password icon appears on the right hand side. I click it, and get a dropdown menu of Suggestion Actions / Logins / Credit Cards / Identities / Password Generator.

I click on Logins, but it immediately goes back to highlighting Suggested Actions.

I'm not sure what I should be doing?

Please note that in the Additional Information boxes, the links to "How to find versions" don't take me to pages that explain how to find versions, they take me to pages that explain "How to keep 1Password up to date".

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.14.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 1803
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:chrome

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sandra_nz – welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry for the confusion here. Although it's not the most intuitive, the behavior you're describing means that you don't have any Login items stored for musicnotes.com. I'd like you to try out the following steps first and let me know if you see different results. :)

1. Type your username and password into the sign in form on musicnotes.com, but don't click the Sign In button.
    2. Click on the 1Password X icon in the password field to invoke the inline menu.
    3. Click Save Login.
    4. Select the vault where you'd like to save the item and click Save.

After that, refresh the page and click the 1Password X icon in the username field to invoke the inline menu. You should now see that a Login item appears below the field. If you click on it, your username and password should be filled automatically.

• sandra_nz
    sandra_nz
    Community Member

Thanks for your fast response Kaitlyn!

In my vault I have an entry for "musicnotes" which was created February 10, 2019 12:33 PM

When I follow your guidance, the Save in 1Password pop up menu suggests saving the item with the title Musicnotes, which is the same as my existing entry. Should I click Save?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @sandra_nz,

I would recommend saving a new Login item and set the title to something that makes discerning it from your existing Login item easy. Then check to see if it is correctly listed when it should and whether it fills. Afterwards we can look to see what is different about these two items to better understand why your existing item isn't being shown but don't add any screenshots to this conversation unless you've already checked and they contain no personal or sensitive information as our support forum is public and can be viewed by anybody even without a forum account.

• sandra_nz
    sandra_nz
    Community Member

Thank you, that has worked perfectly! I saved the new one as "Musicnotes-new" if you want to take a look at my account to understsand why the original one didn't work?

• @sandra_nz

We don't have access to anyone's 1Password data so I can't look, but I suspect if you look at the original item the website field will either be wrong or empty, compared to the new one which has an accurate website field. :)

Ben

• sandra_nz
    sandra_nz
    Community Member

Ahh got it, I understand now! Thanks for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sandra_nz,

Apologies for any confusion I caused. What I had been thinking and the best we could do was for us to suggest things to check because as Ben has already covered, we can't see anything. That bit is really important because even the ability for us to reset a password basically means an inherent weakness in the security that eventually would be exploited, it's just the way of the world. The easiest way to protect against that is to ensure we cannot have any access.

Ben as also covered the most likely culprit, the website field. I don't know if comparing the two sees an easy difference but if you do that would explain everything you've observed. If you're not sure we could help and it is extremely rare for a URL to encode anything you would otherwise need to keep private so you I would be shocked if posting them here had any risk associated with it.

This discussion has been closed.