How can I share my licensed copy on the same mac, but with a different user?

Options
brianbrianbrian
brianbrianbrian
Community Member

I'm having trouble making 1pw available to my wife on the same computer, when she signs in as a different user on user/group preferences.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.8.9.
OS Version: 10.14.3 mojave
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:How can I share my licensed copy on the same mac, different user?

Comments

• brianbrianbrian
    brianbrianbrian
    Community Member
    Options

How can I share my licensed copy on the same mac, different user?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @brianbrianbrian,

Most licenses are single users licenses (this is true of all 1Password 7 licenses). If you do in fact have a 1Password 6 Family License you are welcome to continue to use that, as licenses never expire, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that 1Password 6 has been retired. It is no longer being developed or receiving updates. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). With 1Password Families your wife would be able to get on board as well. You can read about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If for now you'd rather stick with 1Password 6 you can do so, but I'd recommend considering that a temporary solution. To set your wife up, assuming you do have a family license, you'd need to get her a copy of your license file. You should be able to find this in your email archives from when you purchased 1Password, or within 1Password itself (in the Software Licenses category).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.