1Password window doesn't automatically hide after unlocking with Touch ID for browser autofill

Options
swtaarrs
swtaarrs
Community Member

I'm using 1Password in Chrome 72.0.3626.109 with the normal extension (not 1Password X). Other relevant versions are listed below.

When 1Password is unlocked, if I go to a login page and press cmd+\, it fills my login without showing any 1Password windows (as long as I only have one login saved for the site). If 1Password is locked when I press cmd+\, the 1Password window pops up so I can unlock it. If I unlock it by typing in my master password, it fills my login then hides the 1Password window so I can continue logging in. So far, so good.

However, if I unlock 1Password using Touch ID, the 1Password window stays visible after filling my login and I have to press escape to dismiss it. It's a minor inconvenience but I can't imagine it's intentional.

Detailed repro steps:
1. Enable Touch ID unlocking in 1Password
2. Lock 1Password
2. Go to a login page in Chrome
3. Press cmd+\
4. Touch the Touch ID sensor to unlock 1Password

Expected behavior:
1Password fills my login and hides its window, just like it does when unlocking with my master password.

Actual behavior:
1Password fills my login but leaves its window open and focused, above Chrome.

1Password Version: 7.2.4 (70204000)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password family account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @swtaarrs! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm also unable to reproduce it here, myself -- but then again, I'm using macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), and I see you indicated you're on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”). I've got a virtual machine that still runs High Sierra, but I'm not confident in its ability to accurately replicate a hardware-based thing like Touch ID as it would be on the actual boot drive. But given the fact that I can't reproduce the behavior you've observed using the STR you gave, I'm thinking this is likely to be either a High Sierra issue or something specific to your individual setup. I'm betting the answer to this is probably yes, but have you attempted a restart of your Mac since you noticed this behavior?

• swtaarrs
    swtaarrs
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response! I was on High Sierra when I reported the issue, but I upgraded to Mojave after making my post last night, and the issue is still there. Before then, I had restarted my Mac since the behavior started–it began when I switched to this new Mac with Touch ID back in October of last year, and I've restarted a number of times since then.

After the upgrade to Mojave made no difference, I tried completely removing 1Password (the application, all related settings, and the Chrome extension) and reinstalling from scratch, also with no effect. Is there anything else I can try, or any other information I can provide?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@swtaarrs - unfortunately nothing simple or uninvasive. The only things I can think that might help this would be either for us to continue trying to replicate the issue here (so far, two of us can't), or for you to perhaps completely re-do the login keychain. Export any necessary items in Keychain Access, then use the sudo command in terminal to move the current login keychain out to your desktop. macOS will re-create it after a restart. If you want to try something that invasive, let me know and I'll give you the command.

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    I don't know if this thread is still alive, I just wanted to notify you that I'm having this exact problem as well.
    Have a great day!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sandphoenix

I'm sorry to hear you're also having trouble. Could you please let me know:

• What version of 1Password you have installed (1Password > About 1Password)
    • The version of macOS you're using ( > About this Mac)
    • Which web browser, and which version of that web browser that you are using
    • The version of the 1Password extension in your web browser

If you're using macOS 10.13 do you have the ability to upgrade to macOS 10.14 (Mojave)?

Thanks!

Ben

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there!

This is the system I'm on:

• 1Password 7.2.5
    • MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)
    • Google Chrome 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • 1Password Chrome Extension 4.7.3.90

Thank you very much for your time!

• Ben
    Options

@sandphoenix

Do you have any extensions other than 1Password enabled in Chrome? If you do could you please try temporarily disabling them, and see if the problem persists with them disabled?

Ben

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the tip!
    I just tried disabling all extensions in Chrome except for 1Password, but unfortunately the problem persists.

• Ben
    Options

@sandphoenix

Thanks for giving that a try. The next thing I'd recommend as a troubleshooting step would be to create a new Chrome profile. To do this, click on the 2nd icon from the right in the Chrome toolbar:

Then click the Manage People option and then click Add Person. In this new profile please install the 1Password extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

Does this issue still occur under those circumstances? Please let me know.

Ben

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben!
    I did create a new Chrome profile, but I'm still running into the same problem.
    This is not a dealbreaker problem by the way, so don't worry if we can't solve it :)
    Thank you for replying so promptly!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sandphoenix: I am sorry for the trouble, and the delay in getting back to you. Since we're currently testing some big changes in the beta and haven't been able to reproduce the issue you're reporting in the stable version, I think it is best if we wait a bit and see if you experience any issues when the update is released. If you'd be willing to try the beta now, that would be great, as we're always happy for feedback, and particularly interested in hearing what people think about the new design. Otherwise just let us know once it's released to everyone. :)

• sandphoenix
    sandphoenix
    Community Member
    Options

I just installed the Beta, and it fixed the problem!
    Thank you so much for your patience and help @brenty !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for trying it, and for letting me know! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.