Extension Chrome not working

13»

Comments

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Thank you for the response @brenty!

Yes! So long as you are using a 1Password membership account or an OPVault, all of those are compatible.

Yes I have the OPVault. If I remember correctly, in order to buy the standalone license for 1Password, you download the app and purchase the license from within the app, right? Is the license information then emailed to us?

Some quick and random questions while I'm here:

• Since I don't have a 1Password membership, that means I don't have anything I could log into the Agilebit/1Password website, right?
    • In order to update/verify my personal information, I would need to contact support, right?
    • I think you or someone else told me before, but the OPVault is only used with the standalone version of 1Password, right? While the membership version uses some other type of vault file?

Thanks! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ScarySulley,

So the first is correct, only those that create a 1Password account have credentials for https://my.1password.com. For the second, I'm unsure what you mean. FastSpring, whom we use for the licences will retain a record of the licence but I'm not sure there is anything that can be updated. The OPVault is a sync container, much like how we used to use the Agile Keychain and only used for the Dropbox and File sync methods. With iCloud we use a similar structure but I believe everything is almost like database calls to Apple's server and I couldn't say about Wi-Fi sync given it's direct 1Password to 1Password communication. 1Password itself uses an encrypted SQLite database file although there will be similarities deep inside given all need to record items in their native state. The 1Password accounts are handled quite differently even though again at some core level there will be similarities.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If I remember correctly, in order to buy the standalone license for 1Password, you download the app and purchase the license from within the app, right? Is the license information then emailed to us?

@ScarySulley: Yes and yes. :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables, thanks for your reply!

For the second, I'm unsure what you mean. FastSpring, whom we use for the licences will retain a record of the licence but I'm not sure there is anything that can be updated.

When I originally signed up with Agilebits/1Password, I provided a username (email address I think), password, and my name (I don't remember if I provided any other information). This information is shown in an email I requested from customer support that basically shows what the Customer Center used show...if I remember correctly (name, download link, license information, etc.). Do you no longer have this information on file?

I guess what I'm asking for the first two questions is whether or not Agiblebits has any information for users who have purchased both past and current standalone versions of 1Password. And since we can't log in to the Customer Center, whether or not we could contact customer support to change any info.

Hope that makes sense!

@brenty, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

When I originally signed up with Agilebits/1Password, I provided a username (email address I think), password, and my name (I don't remember if I provided any other information). This information is shown in an email I requested from customer support that basically shows what the Customer Center used show...if I remember correctly (name, download link, license information, etc.). Do you no longer have this information on file?

We do not. We minimize the information we keep about customers, and how long it is kept.

I guess what I'm asking for the first two questions is whether or not Agiblebits has any information for users who have purchased both past and current standalone versions of 1Password. And since we can't log in to the Customer Center, whether or not we could contact customer support to change any info.

For old licenses, no. For current licenses, just get in touch with sales@1password.com so we can help. For 1Password memberships, that can be managed from within your account settings on the website:

https://start.1password.com/profile

Cheers! :chuffed:

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

@brenty,

Would my licenses (both Mac and Windows) be considered "old?"

Does the licence information I have in that email that I requested from customer support still work since you don't keep old licenses? If I remember correctly the Mac license is downloadable file and the Windows license is a bunch of text (for the lack of a better word) that you copy/paste into the 1Password license window. The license obviously has to be downloaded from your server and text has to be confirmed from you server as well. So if no records exist for old licenses anymore, then they won't work anymore.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ScarySulley - anything from before version 7 would at this point be considered "old" for the purposes of what you're asking about: starting with version 7, we switched over to using FastSpring as our retail outlet for 1Password standalone licenses, and that's when we removed the information on older licenses. If you have a valid license key/license file (depending on if it's 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows), it should still work on as many Macs/PCs as you own/use. As has been mentioned previously in this thread, however, while we understand that sometimes people using older hardware may not be able to run a current-enough version of OS to install the latest 1Password and therefore need to run an older version, we can't recommend using legacy versions of our software as any kind of long-term strategy, especially if the use plans to continue updating other system components such as browsers and other software. Let us know if you run into any trouble applying your license file (Mac) or using your text-based license key (Windows).

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Thank you for the information @Lars,

So in order to keep using our current/old versions of 1Password, we need to retain a copy of the actual license file. I found it one time for my Mac, but where does the license get stored for the Windows version? Since I just copy/pasted the text into the license window, is there an actual file that gets created after you copy/paste the "text license" we got?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So in order to keep using our current/old versions of 1Password, we need to retain a copy of the actual license file.

Correct. You'd need your license in order to be able to use it. I'd be surprised though if someone purchased 1Password years ago and never actually used the license. Otherwise

I found it one time for my Mac, but where does the license get stored for the Windows version? Since I just copy/pasted the text into the license window, is there an actual file that gets created after you copy/paste the "text license" we got?

No. Old versions of 1Password for Windows didn't use a license file, just a (text) key. If you have that, that's all you need to use that version.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

@brenty,

No. Old versions of 1Password for Windows didn't use a license file, just a (text) key. If you have that, that's all you need to use that version.

Okay, so all I have to do for my Mac is simply keep a separate copy of the license file. For Windows, since there is no actual file, would it be fine to simply keep the text a text document of some sorts and keep that with the Mac license file? Or I guess I could keep the email that has the text as well.

Also, how does 1Password verify the license, in particular for the Windows version? I get with the Mac version, you have actually purchase the license and it will be available to you. But for the Windows version, couldn't you simply type in random characters? Yes I realize that's probably not true, but since our info is longer on your servers, how does 1Password verify text key is real?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ScarySulley: That's correct. You'll need to keep the license file for the old Mac app, and the license key for the old Windows app. Random files/characters won't work though, as both are verified algorithmically. ;)

• roblev
    roblev
    Community Member

Hello, I have 1Password 4 and I'm in the same situation described few times in this thread in that the Chrome add-in stopped working with no warning. I've made my own decisions how to proceed, and currently all is OK for me.

However I take issue with the communication approach of AgileBits. To just let your software break with no attempt to proactively communicate to your users is not very customer-focussed.

Your team say several times that you don't have a way to communicate with 1Password 4 users who are using the Chrome add-in. But it seems to me that you do have a mechanism to communicate with this exact set of users: you have full control of the Chrome add-in. You could update the addin to provide a message to users who attempt to use it that it has broken / become end-of-life, and point them to a website with more info. Or you could fix the signature key and add an obsolescence / end-of-life timer so that it stops working after an additional amount of time, and provide users with a warning that the software was reaching end-of-life.

This would be a (small) amount of work for your team, but users would appreciate it more than just letting stuff break under them, with no attempt at outreach. I know I would.

Sorry but this experience has really damaged my perception of the team and the product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The 1Password extension works with both the Mac and Windows desktop apps from roughly 2010 to present, and multiple browsers, so it really isn't reasonable for us to have it harass only users of 1Password for Windows version 4 with Chrome. I'm sorry you feel that way, but what you're proposing just isn't possible. And I don't think it's reasonable to expect that outdated software will work indefinitely. And, to be completely clear, 1Password for Windows version 4 only does not work with Chrome 72 or higher; it continues to work with other supported browsers, including a number of Chrome derivatives.

This discussion has been closed.