1 password not offering to save a password

Options
Annamarie Pluhar
Annamarie Pluhar
Community Member

This has happened to me more than once...I'm installing and teaching an older not-so-proficient client to use 1P. 1P generates a password we use it to fill in the field but then 1P DOESN"T save the password or prompt to save it. ?? !! It makes me look awful and the clients get confused so I'm looking for a surefire way to make sure that a password is saved that I can teach. Just now I had to do a apple id reset and the password not only wasn't saved but I have no history to find it again. Under what conditions would 1P NOT prompt to save a password/login?

Did you change this functionality from 1p6 to 1P7 and I missed somehow? It's really frustrating and I wish I had a better handle on why it's not happening.

THanks
.a

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Annamarie Pluhar - I'm sorry for the trouble. It can vary depending upon the website in question and the way you go about it, but one thing I can tell you for certain is that ANY password you generate in 1Password will be saved in the Passwords category. You can select that category in the sidebar and set the sort order (at the top of the item list column) to Date Modified or Date Created, and it should be the most-recent entry. In fact, one of the main reasons we do that is because there can sometimes be issues with saving the Login item - everything from 1Password not properly offering to save to an unrelated crash. And we don't ever want you to be without the new password you just used at a site, so as soon as it's created using the password generator, it's saved.

Under what conditions would 1P NOT prompt to save a password/login?

There's no magic rule for this. We try to accommodate/recognize all sorts of different Login page configurations, but because there are so many different possibilities, occasionally one will not work. If you find one such, let us know and we'll look into it. However, if you find it happening all the time on a given install of 1Password on someone's computer, it's likely not 1Password but rather something not configured correctly, as these should be the exception rather than the rule. However, if/when you DO get a failure-to-save, remember that you can always find the password item in the Passwords section. Hope that helps. :)

• Annamarie Pluhar
    Annamarie Pluhar
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh - I'm a very competent 1P user and have been using it myself since the days you offered affiliate links. :) This time 1P did NOT save the history of the password. There was nothing. (It makes me look so bad.) It was a brand new install (2 days ago). She does have Chrome saving passwords - is that a conflict?

I've had the problem now with two clients. Both times I'm working with them remotely (using Zoom's fabulous screen sharing function) - could that be creating an issue?

I do realize how hard it is to diagnose and help. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@Annamarie Pluhar

you offered affiliate links.

We do still have an affiliate program through Commission Junction:

Publisher Sign Up | CJ Affiliate by Conversant (Formerly Commission Junction)

She does have Chrome saving passwords - is that a conflict?

Yes, absolutely it is:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Both times I'm working with them remotely (using Zoom's fabulous screen sharing function) - could that be creating an issue?

I can't imagine it would. We use Zoom fairly extensively internally and I can't recall seeing any issues related to 1Password caused by it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.