Import from Bitwarden [Solved: converter available]

8arros
8arros
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Mac

Hi,

I'm trying to import my Bitwarden Vault into 1Password, I tried to import from within 1password.com, 1Password app on Windows and macOS, and I even tried MrC's converter. But I'm not able to successfully import my Bitwarden vault, all the items are imported as notes with all the fields mixed up. Is there any easy way to import my Bitwarden data to 1Password?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@8arros: It depends on the state of the exported data. What format is it in? What method did you use to convert it using @MrC ’s converter?

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

Bitwarden has two export options, JSON and CSV, since I didn't find any option to import JSON files either on MrC converter or 1Password, I used the CSV. In the converter there's no Bitwarden so I choosed CSV to.

• With CSV you may need to adjust some of the fields so that they import into the correct spots in 1Password. We have a guide on that available here:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

Ben

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

Ok, thank you.

• You're very welcome. Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Do we need a bitwarden converter?

• @MrC

I haven't seen a ton of demand for it, but if you have time to work on it I don't think it would hurt a bit to have one.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

When wifey goes out of town, I order either the dancing girls*, or make a new converter. The latter is usually the better choice.

It's our inside running joke

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MrC - if you feel so inclined, it's clear at least a few people would use it. :)

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

I definitely would :chuffed:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I'll be taking a look this weekend. maybe even Friday if my day is as free as I'm hoping!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have never been more glad to see an asterisk. :lol:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2019

@8arros

The bitwarden converter is now available for your testing. You can find it in the updated converter suite post.

Note: I do not have a premium account w/Bitwarden, and do not know if attachments are available in the export file. So this is not supported yet.

CC: @ben @brenty @Lars

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

@MrC

Thank you! :) Maybe I'm missing something, I just download the latest download available, but when I open the app there's no option to import a bitwarden file, there's 1Password and then Chrome.

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

@MrC

Ok, I tried to run the converter through terminal, running High Sierra 10.13.6 and received the following error.

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Nevermind, using the JSON file everything was imported. I did had one note with one document attached that was not imported. Not a big deal though.

Thank you again! :)

Edit: I had everything organized in folders, that wasn't imported, everything is in the Vault. I don't know if that's what was supposed to happen, or if the folders should be recreated in 1Password

Edit 2: Nevermind again, the folders were recreated as tags, other than not importing the note attachment everything worked great! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@8arros

Thank you! :) Maybe I'm missing something, I just download the latest download available, but when I open the app there's no option to import a bitwarden file, there's 1Password and then Chrome.

You're welcome.

I had forgotten to update the macOSConvertHelper.app, but the converter was present and available via command line. I've updated the suite now.

Your error above was that you exported as CSV, not JSON. Looks like you figured that out. Please check out the README file. It guides you through the process step-by-step.

I'd like to resolve the missing note + document issue you have. Are you able to provide me with a sanitized export with this one entry?

1Password 7 does not support folders. Tags are used now. Regardless, the converter will only create folders when the --folders option is set, as per the README (see the --folders option).

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

I could try, but after searching a little bit, it looks like that's a Bitwarden problem, not a converter one.

https://community.bitwarden.com/t/allow-attachments-to-be-exported-when-using-export-data/835/11

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2019

@8arros ,

Thanks for finding that info. I didn't know if attachments were exported or not, since i could not try with my free account.

Still, I would like to be able to at least get the contents of the record imported if possible, but I don't know what is causing the issue. Did the record get exported into the JSON file without the attachment, or is that record not present in the JSON at all?

The note record will look like:

Can you look inside your JSON file to find the note that went missing from the conversion?

btw. Your issue with the macOSConvertHelper above, not having the bitwarden converter listed, prompted me to start working on programmatically generating the list of available converters for macOS. I've been using a static list inside the AppleScript, and was unable to auto-generate the list previously. Recent documentation changes I made allowed this to happen. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

I'm sorry, maybe I'm misundestanding or I wasn't clear enough, the note was imported as a note into 1Password. I have that note with all the text in my Secure Notes folder in 1Password. That entry looks like this one in the screenshot below.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ok, great @8arros . I misunderstood.

Sounds like you are good then. I've updated the documentation in the bitwarden converter to indicate that attachments are not exported.

Enjoy 1Password!

• 8arros
    8arros
    Community Member

I will, again, thank you all for your help, and thank you @MrC for all the hard work.

• Thank you for following up here @8arros and also to @MrC as always for the excellent work and support on the converter suite. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.