Master Password is not being accepted via web

Options
nkirkes
nkirkes
Community Member

I have my personal and team vaults available on iOS, but I can't log in to my team account via web. The master password isn't being accepted. I've tried the various tips for ensuring it's the right value.

I need to be able to manage the team and add a new member. Is there a way to recover or reset my master password for the team without losing the existing vault data (which would impact all of my team members).

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @nkirkes! When you first run a 1Password app (on any platform - Mac, Windows, iOS or Android) the password of the FIRST vault or account you add becomes the Master Password for that device, which unlocks any and all subsequent accounts/vaults you add. What that means is that if your personal vault was added first, and you then created your 1Password Teams account and used a different Master Password for it than the one you used for your personal stuff, you'd have had to enter that Master Password for the 1Password Teams account ONCE -- when you first added it. But after that, all of the accounts/vaults would've opened with just your Master Password for your personal stuff. That's how we get to call ourselves "1Password" instead of 1Password each for every account. Do you recall whether, when you created your 1Password Teams account, you used the same Master Password as you use for your personal 1Password account/vault? Or did you create a different one? And if so, did you write it down somewhere?

Unfortunately, if the answers to those questions are that yes, you used a different Master Password for your 1Password Teams account and no, you can't remember it and didn't write it down, then the ONLY other way you may be able to recover your account is if you gave anyone else in your 1Password Teams account either Owner or Admin permissions -- then they will be able to help you recover your account. If you are the only person on your 1Password Teams account with Owner/Administrator permissions, then the entire account will be lost. Not immediately, of course, but you won't be able to make any changes if you can't sign in. If that's the case, this will get complicated and we'll need to take this to email. I'm really hoping either you can remember your 1Password Teams account Master Password or you have someone else who can help recover your account. Let us know what you discover; we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

This discussion has been closed.