Safari vs. Firefox

KeBa1
KeBa1
Community Member

I use Safari, and just installed 1PW on my wife's mac. She uses Firefox. If I open 1PW (not my browser) and select a particular login address, 1PW opens Safari, in my case, goes to the login page of the site that I've selected, and fills in the username, etc. automatically. However, when my wife, who uses Firefox, goes through the same process, the login page comes up, but nothing is filled in. So, she has to click on the 1PW button in the browser and select the site that it suggests, before the username, etc. is filled in. Is that simply a Firefox thing, or is there a setting that I can change in 1PW for her? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - sorry for the trouble. What version of 1Password, of macOS, and of our extension in Firefox is she using? What does she have set as her default browser in System Preferences > General?

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Oh...sorry to have omitted that info. The version...just updated today...is 7.2.5. I can't figure out how to tell the version of the button in the Firefox browser....but just downloaded that yesterday. Firefox is the default browser. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - no worries. That all sounds normal and up-to-date. You can check the version of the 1Password extension by clicking Firefox's Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions. Let me know. :)

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Got it, thanks. It is 4.7.3.90

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Sorry, I should have pointed out that comment sent at 7:33 PM was intended to be directed to Lars, in reply to his question about what version the Firefox extension is. It is 4.7.3.90. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - does she have Firefox installed in the main /Applications directory? Or is it in another location such as ~/Applications?

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

It appears to be in the main applications folder. FYI, I just installed Firefox & the extension on my mac as well, in order to do a test. Same result. ie, what I'm looking for is what I get in Safari. That is, when I'm in 1PW, I click on the desired login, 1PW opens Safari, then takes me to the login page on the site, where it automatically fills in username and password info. All I need to do is hit enter and I'm in. Whereas with both Chrome and Firefox I get as far as the site being opened, but I have to take the additional step of clicking on the 1PW button at the top of my screen and clicking on the site there in order to get the user/pw info completed. Is Safari my only option if I want to accomplish this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - no, it shouldn't be. Please give these steps a try; it may be that you don't have a Native Messaging Hosts folder for Firefox and/or Chrome.

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Please explain what you mean by "click the 1Password menu"...don't see anything labeled that way.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - when any application is the front-most application, you will see a set of menus across the top of your screen, starting from the left, just to the right of the everpresent Apple symbol. The first of these is always the name of the application itself. In 1Password, this is the "1Password menu." To the right of that is the "File" menu, then the "Edit" menu, etc...

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

Lars, I was able to do this, and it worked in fixing Chrome, but the issue is still there for Firefox. (See my 2/25 description of the issue. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - thanks for the update. What do you see in ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts ? Anything?

• KeBa1
    KeBa1
    Community Member

No, I can get as far as ...support/mozilla, but nothing past that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KeBa1 - if that means that there IS no NativeMessagingHosts folder, then you'll need to create it:

• Open 1Password and click the 1Password menu. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard. While holding the Control and Option keys, select “Quit 1Password and 1Password mini”.
    • Open 1Password again.
    • Restart Firefox

The check to see if that folder exists, and if there is a file inside it ending in .JSON.

This discussion has been closed.