Two different backup sizes on two different Macs

Options
jamiex
jamiex
Community Member

I have the same version of 1password on two separate Mac computers - one MacBook Air and one iMac.

There are two vaults, one Primary, synchronised to iCloud, and one secondary vault that is synchronised to Dropbox.

Both computers have the same number of items in the vaults and the same settings - they keep in sync with each other.

However, when I go to do a backup, I've noticed a discrepancy between the size of the backup file created by both computers. The MacBook Air creates a 58mb backup file, whereas the iMac creates a 38mb backup file. Both have the same number of items with the file names (same number of profiles, items, folders and attachments)

I really don't understand how this is possible.

Is there any way to find out why these files are different sizes?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.3 on both
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Backup sizes

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamiex - not easily, no. You could try restoring one of the backups on each device and seeing if you notice any differences in item count (including trash), but if you're that curious, I'd strongly recommend you disable Dropbox syncing if you intend to do this, just to avoid potential issues with that while you experiment.

• jamiex
    jamiex
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Although it's annoying me, I don't think I'm annoyed enough to potentially mess the whole thing up! If there were hundreds of megabytes difference maybe but not for 20mb. Just think it's really strange as I can't see any differences on each and they're both identically configured. 1password has been on my iMac for a long time (the MacBook Air is quite new) so if anything I'd have expected the iMac to have the larger file size, just through waste over time.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamiex - there's going to be some explanation for this, but it's not something we can really assist you with since this by definition involves your actual data, which we shouldn't see nor have the keys to decrypt. I am not particularly worried about it, since we've had no widespread reports of restored backups having incorrect or missing data (which would concern me). I think your "let sleeping dogs lie" conclusion is likely the best course of action in this case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamiex: Depending on the size of the actual data in the vault, you may find that on one device you'd got some other files you accidentally moved in there. 1Password will ignore other stuff. But we've had people, when the backup location was customizable, set 1Password to save backup archives inside the vault folder itself. You can imagine the result. :crazy: Anyway, It may be worth looking into. ;)

This discussion has been closed.