my account on my MacBook Pro does not appear to be synching properly

Options
billrad
billrad
Community Member

I added a secure note to my 1Password7 account on my iPhone, but it's not showing up on my MB Pro. I went to the help section but it tells me to go to the Sync function in Preferences, but I don't have that.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:my account on my MacBook Pro (2017, running 10.14.3) does not appear to be synching with my iPhone 7

Comments

• billrad
    billrad
    Community Member
    Options

I added a secure note to my 1Password7 account on my iPhone, but it's not showing up on my MB Pro. I went to the help section but it tells me to go to the Sync function in Preferences, but I don't have that in my preferences panel.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @billrad! I'm sorry for the trouble. It sounds as if you may have different vaults, synced via different methods, on your iPhone and your MacBook Pro. If you don't have a Sync panel in the Preferences of 1Password 7 for Mac, that almost certainly means you've create a 1password.com membership/account at some point in the past. Could that be the case? Have a look in Preferences > Accounts to check. Now, on your iPhone, tap Settings > Sync > (name of vault) > Sync Service and see what you're using there -- including the full file-path, if it's listed.

• billrad
    billrad
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, and thanks for the help. first of all, yes, I do subscribe, so the syncing for my MB Pro is automatic. I checked the vaults for both the MB Pro and my iphone and there was a difference; the MBP showed Personal, while the iPhone showed Primary. On the iPhone, Personal does not sync to iCloud, and I can't see how to do that. Is there a way to either switch which Vault syncs to iCloud or to add the Primary vault to my MB Pro? Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billrad - thanks for the additional info. "Primary" is the default standalone vault that's created anytime you set up 1Password in standalone mode. It's data created locally, and synced via iCloud or Dropbox or WLAN. That's in contrast to a 1password.com account, where the data in your "Personal" vault is stored on and synced via 1password.com servers. It can't be switched, but you can - and should - move all of your data out of the Primary vault and into the Personal vault, then remove the Primary vault (since it's no longer necessary). That will leave you with only your Personal vault, synced automatically, on all your devices.

When you initially subscribed to your 1password.com account, did you transfer over all of the data from Primary into Personal? Would you describe the contents of your Personal vault as a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data, or are there items in Primary on your iPhone that are NOT in Personal?

• billrad
    billrad
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see how to do that. On my Mac, I only have the Personal vault. On the phone, I have both Primary and Personal. Primary backs up to iCloud. I can see from the settings that I can turn off either Vault, but only Primary syncs to iCloud, and I can't see how to either move everything into Personal on the iPhone, or sync the Personal vault to iCloud.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billrad

I can't see how to either move everything into Personal on the iPhone...

Those steps are here.

...or sync the Personal vault to iCloud.

This isn't possible. Your Personal vault is part of a 1password.com account, and it syncs via and stores data on the 1password.com servers. It can't and won't sync via iCloud. Fortunately, it doesn't need to do so; once you move your data from the Primary vault into the Personal vault, you can remove the Primary vault that's synced with iCloud, and use only your 1password.com account, synced automatically, everywhere - on all your devices. Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.