Issue with filling in logins when 1Password is locked

sandy_suppleweed
sandy_suppleweed
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Hello!

Main issue:

I use 1P7 with Touch ID enabled and set to lock after 1 minute idle, so that effectively almost every action in a browser (typically filling in login info) requires a fingerprint scan. I have "Fill Login or Show 1Password" on a keyboard shortcut and "Automatically sign in after filling…" enabled. Browser is the latest Safari. What I'd like 1Password to do when I invoke the shortcut on a site for which it has login info is to prompt for the fingerprint, then fill the login and submit. However, the shortcut only works without further intervention on my part if 1Password is already unlocked. If it is locked, I get the Touch ID prompt, but then instead of directly filling the login, the browser extension window opens with the login only pre-selected; I have to hit Enter for it to actually fill and submit. I believe that this middle step should be eliminated (provided, of course, login info is present)—it should work just like the "Fill Login" shortcut while unlocked, just with the one additional step of scanning the fingerprint.

It's not a terribly big issue, but it does get annoying with frequent use.

(I haven't tested if this works when Touch ID is disabled, i. e. with a password instead of a Touch ID prompt.)

To be clear, it should of course only work the way I describe when the "Fill Login" shortcut is used, not when "Show 1Password" is used. (And I interpret the keyboard shortcut's description – "Fill Login or Show 1Password" – as meaning that the login is directly filled if one is available, and otherwise (and only then) the browser extension window is shown. That's the way it works when 1Password is unlocked, anyway.)

A related issue:

If a) Touch ID is enabled, b) 1P7 is locked, and c) you are logging in to a website unknown to 1P7, it always asks for the master password in order to save the login. This should rather also just require the fingerprint.

And lastly, an unrelated issue:

When editing an entry (esp. in 1P7 main app), hitting Esc should cancel the edit (instead of doing nothing).

PS: Minor forum issues:

• The sticky thread in this forum section links to release notes for 1P6. I believe it should now link to those for 1P7 (or at least both). :-)
  • I signed up for the forum by clicking on "New Discussion" and being prompted to sign up. After doing that, I was redirected to a page with a big sad smiley face telling me "Permission Problem. You don't have permission to do that", and a small box at the bottom explaining "You need to confirm your email address." I get why this happens, but at first it makes it seem like something has gone wrong with the signup; it would be much better if one was redirected to a page that said "You're signed up, just need to confirm your email address now", and if ideally you would be redirected to the action you were originally trying to perform afterwards (in my case, creating a new discussion).

That's all! :-)

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: none

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

Thanks for the very detailed post @sandy_suppleweed. I have passed your feedback onto the developers :smile:.

As for pressing escape to quit editing, I have passed this feedback on, but for now a workaround is clicking Command-Period (⌘.).

• sandy_suppleweed
    sandy_suppleweed
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

My issue (see "Main issue" above) is still unresolved:

1. 1Password is locked, Touch ID enabled
    2. Invoke the "Fill Login or Show 1Password" keyboard shortcut from a Safari window
    3. Authenticate with Touch ID
    4. Login is filled, but 1Password Mini stays open on top of the page; I have to click somewhere on the page to dismiss it

Some of the more recent release notes sounded like this might have been fixed, but at least in my case, it hasn't. (I'm on 7.2.5 now, macOS is 10.13.6.)

I can add that if I do the above procedure and authenticate with my master password instead of Touch ID, I don't even get to see the unlocked Mini window—it closes right after hitting Enter, with the login being properly filled, quick and easy as it should be. So it's definitely something about the Touch ID unlocking that causes Mini to stay open.

• That's interesting @sandy_suppleweed. I too am using Touch ID on my Mac to unlock 1Password and have not seen this. I am on macOS 10.14 though. I wonder if that is the difference? Do you have the ability to upgrade to macOS 10.14?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.