Upgraded to version 7. one computer works, but the other is read only even though I synced them.HELP

Options
Carlab
Carlab
Community Member

Downloaded to version 7 from an old version. The computer( High Sierra - 10.12.6) I downloaded from is read only, but the other computer works fine. I tried syncing, that didn't work. At one point, I entered everything correctly, multiple times, from my Emergency Kit. Must have tried at least 20 times. For some reason I got the message that my email address, master password or secret key were wrong, but they're not wrong. Everything on this computer is grayed out, so I can't even check the vaults. I have tried both iCloud and Dropbox. PLEASE HELP! I've spent hours on this and my head is exploding.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password 7 is okay on 1 computer but read only on another, even though I synced them.

Comments

• Carlab
    Carlab
    Community Member
    Options

Did provide Version: 7
    Did provide OS: 10.12.6
    Did provide Sync type: Tried iCloud and Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Carlab: Just to clarify, did you purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7, or are you paying for a 1Password membership subscription account?

• Carlab
    Carlab
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't purchase anything for Password 7. I have the emergency kit, so I thought there was an automatic upgrade with that.
    Also, why would it work on one computer and not another? The irony is that it isn''t working properly on the one I used to upgrade to 7.

• Carlab
    Carlab
    Community Member
    Options

Please tell me what to do so that I can have 1Password working correctly on both computers. See above response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Carlab: If you have a 1Password membership subscription, that would include all the apps and upgrades. That's why I asked what you paid for:

Just to clarify, did you purchase a license for 1Password for Mac version 7, or are you paying for a 1Password membership subscription account?

In order to use 1Password, you will need either a license or a subscription. If you'll let me know what you have already and what your goal is, I'm sure I can help you get sorted. :)

• Carlab
    Carlab
    Community Member
    Options

On December 25, 1018, I paid $35.88 for an annual membership. What do I have to do next? It still perplexes me that it works on one computer and not the other. Additionally, I don't know why I kept getting the message that either my email address, secret key or master password was incorrect. If I needed a new subscription, that's what the message should say. It would save us customers a whole lot less grief, and the techs too, if the message had been correct. This is especially frustrating because you don't have phone support. I spent hours last Saturday trying to rectify this whole mess. Now it is a week later and it's still not working.....I'm not attacking you personally, but the company has beyond terrible customer support!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019
    Options

@Carlab,

This is especially frustrating because you don't have phone support. I spent hours last Saturday trying to rectify this whole mess. Now it is a week later and it's still not working.....I'm not attacking you personally, but the company has beyond terrible customer support!

I'm really sorry to hear about that experience. I wish you had reached out to us sooner so we could've helped sooner. I'm confident that we can get to the bottom of this for you soon though.

On December 25, 1018, I paid $35.88 for an annual membership. What do I have to do next?

On the computer that is not working as expected can you please make sure you're signed into that membership in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts? If you aren't, you'll need to sign into the account in order to proceed. The details you'll need should be available on that same screen on the computer that is working as expected (excepting the Master Password), or on your Emergency Kit.

If you're having trouble I'd recommend checking if you have a "Primary" vault on the working computer. If you do, 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of that vault, rather than your 1Password account Master Password. Please check your Login items in 1Password on that computer for a login for 1Password.com. There should be one, and it should have the correct Master Password on it.

Additionally, I don't know why I kept getting the message that either my email address, secret key or master password was incorrect.

Where are you seeing this message? I suspect this is a result of what I commented on in my last paragraph above. You may be entering the Master Password that unlocks 1Password, but that may not be the same as your 1Password account Master Password. Ideally when using a 1Password membership the Primary vault should be deleted so that you only have one Master Password.

If I needed a new subscription, that's what the message should say.

From what we've discussed here I don't see any indication that is the case. I don't think you need a new subscription.

Ben

• Carlab
    Carlab
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, my God! THANK YOU, Ben!!! It finally works. YAY! It's only taken a week....However I'm really appreciative that you figured it out. I was absolutely tearing my hair out. The weird thing is I absolutely don't remember ever creating another 1Password master password. That part was unbelievably confusing, as the message kept saying the Password you use to sign into 1Password. I thought it was the vault and not the on-line 1Password. BTW, I did contact support right away, but never heard anything back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Carlab!

I am happy to hear everything is working fine again :) On behalf of Ben, you are very welcome!

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

Sorry for the confusion there. Andi replied you you via email a few days ago, but maybe that's in your spam filter or something. Anyway, I didn't think it made sense to try to carry on the conversation in multiple places, and I'm glad that Ben was able to support you to get back on track here. Enjoy your weekend! :)

ref: TTI-49577-217

This discussion has been closed.