How to create new login using 1Password X in Chrome

Options

I'm pretty sure that I used to be able to navigate to "create account' page of a website , then select "create new login" in 1Password to have it create a new login using my default username, an auto-generated password, and the URL of the website I'm on all prepopulated.

Now when I click on "new login" , it opens a new tab on the 1password.com site, with a new login form, but all of the fields are blank.

Is there a way to get a more tightly integrated experience like the one I remember? Contextually, at least the URL and default username should be pre-populated, though an automatically generated password would also be nice.

Am I remembering previous version ( albeit, not 1Password X, the old browser plugin that depended on the mini-browser helper app ) wrong? Is there a way to get the current version of 1Password to work in the fashion that I described? It would really increase the convenience of the application.

1Password Version: 1Passwordx
Extension Version: 1.14.1
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1password web sync

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, Komrad!

You're not crazy, I do remember that feature being available in the mini-browser app :D. Now, with 1Password X it's possible to do pretty much the same (it's just done differently)!

First, when you're at a Create an account page and click the password field, you should see the Use the suggested password option. If you click it, a pop-up window should appear asking if you want to save the new log-in (it also gives you the option to change the name of the log-in, and the vault you want it to save it to). Clicking in Save should pre-populate the URL as well (and open the new tab on the 1password.com site as you mentioned).

As to filling a default username, I'd recommend you to create a new Identity, which is like creating a normal Login, but an Identity gives you some other options, like phone number, address, and on the Internet Details section, you can add a username as well, so every time you Sign up to a new website, you can fill some of the info that is required just as usual.

Hope I could be of help, if you have any doubt, please let us know!

• Ben
    Options

Very well said @arturoaubry. Thanks for the assist here.

@komrad Did the above help? Please let us know.

Ben

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    Options

I just read the replies, and I'm confused as to what to do as what I see in the 1Password X interface doesn't match the instructions arturoaubry gave.

To test, I used Google Chrome for Mac Version 73,
    1. I navigated to https://discourse.omnigroup.com/ which are Omnifocus's forums
    2. I clicked on "Sign Up".
    3. A sign up form popped up on top of the forum page with fields to fill out such as email , username, and password.
    4. I clicked on the 1Password extension icon and then "identity" to fill out common fields except password. if filled them out as expected.
    5. I clicked on the extension again, this time I selected "password generator->fill" . It filled in the password field.
    6. Now all the information necessary for a new login entry was on the screen
    7. I clicked on the extension again and selected "new item->login". There is wasn't a "new login" or "save login" or "create account" option.
    8. A new tab opened with blank 1Password login record form, none of the fields had any information. I expected it to take the contextual information from the sigh up form, and use that to create a new login.

I retested using the same procedure with Safari and the Mini 1Password dock app.
    At step 7, I had a "save new login" option on the cog wheel in the extension.
    I selected that, it opened a prompt to save new login or to update existing login.
    I selected "Save new login" .
    I opened the 1Password app and verified the username / password / URL data was saved.
    It was a completely filled out Login record with all the contextual information from the "Sign Up" form. Perfect.

If there is a way to replicate the behavior of the mini-dock app in Chrome 1Password X extension, that would be great. I don't know if it's feasible, though. I use Chrome on my work Macbook without 1Password installed, and I use it on a few Windows computers since I cannot install Safari on them. On those computers the feature would be useful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @komrad,

1. I clicked on the extension again and selected "new item->login". There is wasn't a "new login" or "save login" or "create account" option.

Can you please share a screenshot of what you are seeing here, so I can make sure we are on the same page?

Thank you!

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    Options

Not in the short term. It took me a while to set up test environment. When I get a free block of time, I'll set it up again and capture screenshots. I disabled 1Password X for now and switched to just the 1Password extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. We'll be here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.