Multiple families, multiple unique vaults

pk2023
pk2023
Community Member

This example is for illustrative purposes.

1) I want to create a family account for my family which includes sister1 and sister2. Within this family account, I want to have a) my own private vault, b) a shared vault between all 3 of us, c) a diff shared vault between myself and sister1 and d) another diff shared vault between myself and sister2. I also assume that access to all these vaults can be done by my one master password. Can someone confirm that this is all possible?

2) Now, I am also being asked to be part of my in-laws family account. I am not the owner of that account. If I understand things correctly, I would be invited by my brother-in-law and I would have access to their shared vault. I would assume I would have access to this separate family account still using my one master password. Is that correct?

In the end, if I login to my 1password account, I will have access to all the vaults I'm a part of.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Paul ( @paulkondo ),

1) Yes.

2) Yes, but you would actually create a separate account within your in-laws' membership. This could be set to have the same Master Password (and we recommend doing so), but do understand that it is technically a completely separate account (and will have a different Secret Key). When two accounts are added to one of the 1Password apps the Master Password of the first account added is the one that will unlock the app.

Does that help?

Ben

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben.

So if I'm using either 1pw on a Mac OR iOS device, if I'm logged into 1pw, will I see all vaults from the two different accounts at the same time? I don't want to have to log out of one and log into another depending on what passwords I want.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulkondo!

If you login to both your 1Password accounts you will see all vaults, regardless of which account they are stored in. You just need to add both accounts to your 1Password app the first time, and then you can switch from one to the other inside the app anytime you want :)

I hope this helps!

• pk2023
    pk2023
    Community Member

Thanks! This is good news.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@paulkondo, you are very welcome!

If you need anything please get back to us anytime, we are always happy to help :)

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.