Login

nsottile
nsottile
Community Member

I jsut bought a Galaxy S-10 phone and it won't sync with DropBox where my data is stored. It asks for my 1Password Vault master password. Is that the same password as my Master Password for the app? Also, I cannot log into the Windows app. It does not recognize my Master Password. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsottile: Just to make sure we're starting off on the same page, are you paying for a 1Password membership subscription account, or using only a local vault with the standalone 1Password app (with a license purchased for the particular version)?

• nsottile
    nsottile
    Community Member

Wow. I have no idea. I know I paid for something last year. A yearly subscription of some sort. How can I check?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsottile: With a 1Password membership subscription, you'll be able to sign into your account in your browser:

https://start.1password.com

If you signed up for that, but were using 1Password without an account before, there may be some Master Password confusion. Don't hesitate to try as many times as you want. You won't be penalized, other than you will need to enter the correct Master Password in order to be successful.

The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it. So if you had been using a Primary (local) vault there with one Master Password you chose, and then setup your 1Password membership account using another Master Password, the app would still unlock using that original local vault's Master Password, but you'd need to use the new one to sign into the account.

Does that sound like it may be your situation?

• nsottile
    nsottile
    Community Member

Maybe, I found where I pay $35/year for a single subscription. I never tried the website login until my difficulties with the phone yesterday. I have changed the master password three or four times hoping that would fix the issue. I have no problem logging into the site but I can't log into the Windows app nor can I sync my phone with Dropbox in the android app. What else can be done? Thanks.

• nsottile
    nsottile
    Community Member

I get to a screen that asks me to save my login but when I enter the Master Password, it won't take it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsottile: You wouldn't have a membership account at all to sign into if you hadn't set it up (and chosen a Master Password for it). But it's good news if you're able to sign into the website. Just to clarify, when you do that, do you have your data there? Or is it all in the app on a specific device? If you let me know the specifics, I can give you guidance as to how to proceed.

• nsottile
    nsottile
    Community Member

After countless tries of different Master Passwords, I tried entering my PIN (although the app asks for Master Password) on my phone and that synced with Dropbox! I now have the data on my 1 Password app on my phone. Thank God! I still can log in on-line but none of my data is located there. How can I get my data from Dropbox to the website when it won't accept my Master Password? I tried my PIN on the site but it did not work. In summary, I am able to log into my on-line account but not into my vault. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsottile: 1Password does not use a "PIN", but certainly it's possible that you chose an all-numeric Master Password. Glad you were able to remember it.

It sounds like you've setup different Master Passwords for different things. That's your prerogative, but it's confusing, which is why when you sign up for a 1Password membership account we recommend using the same one. The caveat is that it must be at least 10 characters, so if your password had been weaker than even that, you would have needed to choose a different one. There is no problem trying as many times as you need to, but you won't be able to get in without entering the same Master Password you setup in the first place.

It's easy enough to setup a new one though, but again, unless you want to start over with zero data, we need to establish where you can access your data currently in order to transfer it after that. Where do you have your 1Password data right now?

• nsottile
    nsottile
    Community Member

Stored in Dropbox and in the 1 Password app on my cell phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsottile: Thanks for clarifying. Then it sounds like it would be best (and easiest) to copy the data from the local (Primary) vault you've been syncing with Dropbox into your account. Please follow the instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

That will take you through migrating your existing data to your account. At that point, you should be able to view all of it on 1Password.com in your web browser:

https://start.1password.com

Then, in order to setup the 1Password app on your other devices, it sounds like you may want to start over from a clean slate there:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Especially on Windows, if you've set it up some other way already and can't use it. Please do the following:

1. Quit 1Password for Windows from the notification tray icon
    2. Open Windows File Explorer
    3. Use the following path in the address bar and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\
    4. Rename the data folder to data-backup
    5. Open 1Password, and set it up with your account

Let me know how it goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.