Mac app keeps asking me for my password after I use the fingerprint scanner to open it

mmaitzen
mmaitzen
Community Member

Just as it says I open 1Password on my Mac and use the fingerprint scanner to authorize but the last few days it opens a dialog asking me to enter my password. I have a screen shot that shows the dialog.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac app keeps asking me for my password after I use the fingerprint scanner to open it

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmaitzen!

For security reasons your 1Password app is going to ask your for your Master Password from time to time. Have you maybe been rebooting (or shutting off) this Mac more often than usual lately?

• chris_lemos
    chris_lemos
    Community Member

Hello, @mmaitzen

Make sure your preferences are set to require the scanner instead of the master password. Just choose 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar and click Security, then select "Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password". There you can also set 1Password to require your master password instead of Touch ID after a specific amount of time has elapsed.

If your preferences are fine, follow these steps and try to use your scanner again after each one:
    1. Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password;
    2. Make sure that you are able to use Touch ID to unlock your Mac;
    3. Try enrolling a different finger.

If your problem persists, please let us know! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the tips @chris_lemos :)

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

When I try to unlock 1Password 7.3.1 on my Macbook, using the fingerprint scanner, it unlocks but immediately shows me another notification asking me to unlock using my fingerprint. I can see all my content but I think this is an issue, asking to unlock again, after it's unlocked.
    If I cancel the new notification asking to use my fingerprint, I can use the app normally.

• @sushisan

Do both of these prompts look identical?

Ben

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

They're identical. I unlock the app and it unlocks normally and show my passwords, but less than 1 second later, it prompts again to unlock it using my fingerprint.

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

@Ben it doesn't happen everytime, but often.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sushisan - I'm guessing (and this is only a guess) that something about your specific setup is winding up triggering off both activation of the app and activation of the window. For now, I'd suggest you simply hit cancel on the second prompt since obviously it's not needed. I've mentioned this to our developers as something we can investigate tightening up as well. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

@Lars is there anything that I could change/check on the 1Password settings or even on Macbook's settings? thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sushisan - you can try toggling off Touch ID support within 1Password, then toggling it back on again, but I'm not super confident that would help you too much. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to suggest to you in terms of macOS itself. What version of macOS are you using?

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

@Lars Just did it. Will do some tests and see if it persists. I'm using MacOS 10.14.5. This is happening since I upgraded from the 1Password 6 standalone to the 1Password 7 (subscription via AppStore). More than 3-4 months.

• If that doesn't resolve the issue I'd recommend:

1. Make sure you are able to log in at https://my.1password.com and that you have a copy of your Emergency Kit / Secret Key
    2. Use the Help > Troubleshooting menu in 1Password for Mac to select Reset All 1Password Data
    3. Sign back into your account using the credentials from your Emergency Kit

Ben

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

@Ben already did it a time ago. Deleted the 1Password and removed all its files from Library. Istalled again, but still

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

It seems that the issue is if I try to open the main window of 1Password and right away put my finger at the TouchID. If I wait a bit for the app to load, don't think it will prompt twice.

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

Also, I just noticed that if I open the main window with the app locked, it shows the notification asking to use the TouchID and blinks, like its calling the function again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sushisan - sounds like you may have figured out a way to avoid this for now. :)

• sushisan
    sushisan
    Community Member

@Lars yes. just trying to replicate and give you guys some clue to help find out if it's an issue. :chuffed:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sushisan - understood. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.