Can' Sync Icloud

MatthewUnamused
MatthewUnamused
Community Member

I lost my old Iphone and have got a new phone, downloaded 1Password and cannot sync with my icloud. All your online support pages re syncing with Icloud are confusing and do not make any sense as they refer to options that do not exist and show screenshots of options that do not exist.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hi @MatthewUnamused! I’m sorry for the trouble.

If you have 1Password Membership (subscription) you are getting automatic sync for all your devices. That means, you have to download the app, and sign in for the first time with your Master Password and Secret Key. When you do that, all your informations are going to wait for you in your 1Password app.

If you have a Membership, there is no need to use iCloud to sync your data. In that case, the process is different: are these the instructions you are trying to follow? If this is the article you are looking at, what are the options and options that do not exist so we can take a look?

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

I have been using 1password for many years and originally it was not subscription based and I was on that version.

I am not getting any automatic sync and there is nothing in my vault.

Yes those are the instructions that I have been trying to follow

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused,

Where exactly are you getting stuck when following them?

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

the options mentioned and screenshot show options that do not exist

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused

When I look at that article, I do see all of the options here on my iPhone, so I wonder if you are in a different part of the app. I see that you emailed us separately already, so to avoid sharing personal information on the forum, let's move the conversation over via email. We will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you!

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

There is no 1password icon in to left as per online documentation (point 3) and there is no option to select sync (point 4)

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

uploaded a screenshot but it does not appear..

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused

Under Settings > Vaults, if you scroll down towards the bottom of the window, do you have Enable Standalone Vaults enabled?

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused: Did you see Ana's question?

Under Settings > Vaults, if you scroll down towards the bottom of the window, do you have Enable Standalone Vaults enabled?

Let us know what you find. :)

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

It is not enabled - have enabled it and tried to sync. Says it has synched but not seeing any new data.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused

It's possible that your old phone was not syncing to iCloud then. Is it possible sync was not enabled on your old device, and all the data was stored just locally on the device?

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

I can see this file is there which contains 108k of data - and this has always been there, so think old phone was syncing data

Since I synced I now see an extra file that is a 1Password Document

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused,

100KB (or 10 KB in the second screenshot) is very very little space. From what I can see from the screenshots, unfortunately I don't think you were syncing your data to iCloud on your old phone, that looks like an empty vault (which would explain why the storage space used is so little).

Is it possible you were using a different sync method on your old phone? Maybe Dropbox?

There is also another option: are you using 1Password on another device, such as another mobile device or a Mac? If you do, and your data also exists there, we might have a way to transfer it to your new phone.

• MatthewUnamused
    MatthewUnamused
    Community Member

Old phone was lost - was the only device using 1password. So you saying for a handful of text passwords that 108k is small for a vault, yet it is 10x the seize of the new empty vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused,

That is correct. I am afraid that really looks like an empty vault. Apps use iCloud Drive to store information necessary for their execution, but this doesn't mean that any data inside them is actually also synced to your iCloud account, that is completely under your control and up to you because you are in control of your data. If you didn't enable sync on your device and the only copy of your data was on that device, then I am afraid you will have to start over with the new empty vault.

As a final option, however, it's worth checking something else: did you by chance ever take a manual backup of your data on your old device, which you stored somewhere else?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MatthewUnamused: There's a really easy way to verify one way or the other: configure 1Password to sync with iCloud. Whatever you see in the Primary vault after doing that is what was present in iCloud.

The only reason you'll have two 1Password entries in your iCloud storage is from an older version of 1Password -- a very old version. Apple changed iCloud with the release of macOS Yosemite and iOS 8, back in 2014. You will not be able to access any data saved before that except on a device running an earlier OS (and iCloud) version. And, for reference, many items in my vault are more than 100KB in size, and that's just text. The index itself is significantly larger. So it wouldn't be worth pursuing even if you did have a suitable device.

At the end of the day, if you do not have your 1Password data anywhere -- not sync'd, backed up, or stored on another device -- you will need to start over. But if there is somewhere you do have it, please let me know so I can help you try to find a way to recover it. We just cannot draw water from a dry well. :(

This discussion has been closed.