Problem syncing a MacBook with iPad and iPhone

bennett49
bennett49
Community Member

I've three devices. MacBook, iPhone and iPad running 1Password 7. All systems are updated to the latest software. The iPad will sync with the iPhone. If I create a test item on the iPhone it will pop up on the iPad, and vice versa. The iPad and iPhone are configured to sync via Dropbox. If I create a test item on the MacBook it will pop up on both the iPad and iPhone. If I create a vault on the iPad or iPhone the new vault will pop up on the MacBook. The vault will appear on all devices. Here’s the problem. An item created on the MacBook will pop ups on both iPhone and iPad. However, items created on either the iPhone or iPad will NOT transfer across to the MacBook.

I can’t figure out what's wrong. Initially I thought the problem was due to iCloud, so I switched to Dropbox. This hasn’t fixed the problem.

The simplest thing would be to sync with 1password.eu, and keep a backup of the 1Password file in either iCloud (my preference) or Dropbox.

Many thanks.

PeterB

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: macOS 10.14.3
Sync Type: Tried iCloud and switched to Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bennett49: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty! Unfortunately we don't have any special insight into Dropbox, but if you follow the steps in these guides that may help you resolve or at least narrow down the problem.

If you prefer to use iCloud:

https://support.1password.com/icloud-troubleshooting/

If you prefer to use Dropbox:

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, let me know if you have any questions, and tell me what you find.

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

Thanks. I have a 1Password account. It's 1Password.eu. I've just checked and my MacBook, iPad Pro and iPhone are authorised devices. The problem might be related to the fact that originally the account was on the 1Password.com server and I got it transferred to the your server in the European Union. The problem appears to be - and this is a wild guess - that my iPad and iPhone are somehow lined to the .com server. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bennett49: Thanks for letting me know! If you have a 1Password.eu account, you don't need to deal with Dropbox or iCloud (or sync configuration) at all. But indeed, if you don't have your 1Password data in the account you're using, you won't see it when signed in. If you sign into the new(?) account on the device where you have your data, and copy your items over to it, you will be able to access that data on any device where you're signed into that account:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Let me know how it goes!

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

Yes, I do have a 1pasword.eu account. This doesn't solve the problem. I've checked the three devices. The account on the three devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad) are the same.

Server: https://my.1password.eu
    Account Name: Correct (Same account name on all 3 devices)
    Email Address: Correct (Same email address on all 3 devices)
    Secret Key: Correct (Same Secret Key is displayed on all 3 devices)

iPad syncs with iPhone, and vice versa
    A test entry created on the iPad "Test iPad" will pop up on the iPhone, and a test entry created on the iPhone "Test iPhone" will pop up on the iPad. The two entries, "Test iPad" and "Test iPhone" don't show up on the MacBook. The MacBook is not receiving data from either the iPhone or iPad.

MacBook transfer data to iPad and iPhone
    A test entry created on the MacBook "Test MacBook" will transfer to both the iPhone and iPad. It's only one way, from the the MacBook to the other two devices.

I can only guess that something is blocking the transfer to the MacBook. The two mobile devices are in sync, and data will transfer from the MacBook to the other devices, but won't receive data. I can only guess that something is blocking the transfer. I use Little Snitch and 1Blocker. Maybe one or other is causing he problem. That's only a wild guess.

Bennett49

• @bennett49

If you log in at https://my.1password.eu/ which test items do you see? Do you see a vault named "Primary" on any of these devices?
    I'm not super familiar with 1Blocker, but I believe that only affects Safari? If so I don't see how that could be involved here. Little Snitch on the other hand could certainly be causing trouble if 1Password isn't allowed to communicate, so please be sure you've configured that appropriately.

Ben

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

I think I see what the problem is, but don't know how to fix it. To answer your question:

When I log in at my.1password.eu on my MacBook there are four vaults: All Vaults = Personal, Vault 1, Vault 2, Vault 3 & Vault 4.
    When I log in at my.1password.eu on my iPhone there are four vaults: All Vaults = Personal, Vault 1, Vault 2, Vault 3 & Vault 4.
    When I log in at my.1password.eu on my iPad there are four vaults: All Vaults = Personal, Vault 1, Vault 2, Vault 3 & Vault 4.

When I interrogate 1Password via my.1password.eu (ie via a web browser) my MacBook, my iPhone or iPad the only records that show up are those created on my MacBook. Records created or edited on the iPhone or iPad using the 1Password App don't transfer to the MacBook.

When I use my MacBook, iPad or iPhone for 1Password, I use the iPassword App, not a browser. The Sync setting on the iPhone is set to "Sync with iCloud". I've tried using "Sync with Dropbox" but that doesn't fix the problem. I cannot find any sync setting on the iPassword MacBook App. Switching the iPad and iPhone to sync via my.1password.eu might fix the problem. But the strange thing is that records created on the MacBook, via the 1Password App, appear on the iPhone and iPad, so both iPhone and iPad must be communicating with 1password server.

The records, which I created on my iPad, using the iPassword App, sync with the iPhone, (Test iPhone and Test iPad) but don't show up on the MacBook. I use my iPad for work and critical records are created on the iPad.

I'm happy to discontinue using iCloud or Dropbox.

Thanks,

Bennett49

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@bennett49: If I am understanding you correctly, and you are able to access the data you add to 1Password for Mac in your account on https://start.1password.eu in your browser, it sounds like you're not saving data to that same account on your other devices -- iPad and iPhone. That really sounds like you're using the old 1Password.com account on those devices, or local vaults, or both.

What do you see in 1Password for iOS Settings > Accounts on the iPad and iPhone?

Do you have a Primary vault on the iPhone or iPad?

It sounds like "yes", and you've set it up to sync with iCloud, which is all entirely separate from any 1Password account. And if they are both setup that way (with the same Apple ID), they would be in sync with each other but nothing else -- certainly not a 1Password account, as that isn't part of iCloud (or Dropbox).

Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

Dear Brenty,

Yes, I think that's the issue.

When I open 1Password, using the iPassword app, on my iPad, and go to 1Password Account, it shows my correct account on the my.1password.eu server. The same as on the MacBook, email address is the same as on the MacBook and the Secret Key is the same as the one on the MacBook. I can’t see any difference.

iPad & iPhone Vaults: There are 6 Vaults, one a Primary Vault on iCloud. I'm only using 5 Vaults. Personal, Vault 1, Vault 2, Vault 3 & Vault 4. So I'm not sure where Primary comes from!

MacBook Vaults: Only 5 Vaults. Personal, Vault 1, Vault 2, Vault 3 & Vault 4. The Primary Vault on iCloud is missing on the MacBook.

So it must be this mysterious Primary Vault on iCloud on my iPad & iPhone that's causing the problem. And it must be into this mysterious vault that the information added via the iPad is going.

Many thanks,

bennett49

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bennett49!

I agree, I think the Primary vault is what is causing problems here. I am looking at your examples in your previous post:

iPad syncs with iPhone, and vice versa
    A test entry created on the iPad "Test iPad" will pop up on the iPhone, and a test entry created on the iPhone "Test iPhone" will pop up on the iPad. The two entries, "Test iPad" and "Test iPhone" don't show up on the MacBook. The MacBook is not receiving data from either the iPhone or iPad.

This means that your iPad and iPhone are in sync, and it's probably because they are saving the entries in the Primary vault by default. Because the Mac, as you said, does not have a Primary vault, this would explain why you are not able to see these entries on your Mac.

MacBook transfer data to iPad and iPhone
    A test entry created on the MacBook "Test MacBook" will transfer to both the iPhone and iPad. It's only one way, from the the MacBook to the other two devices.

This also makes sense, because every vault that you have on your Mac is also on your iPhone and iPad. So everything you add inside the 1Password app on your Mac will always transfer to your mobile devices.

Can you check if your iPhone and iPad are configured to save new entries in the Primary vault by default? You can do this in 1Password on your iOS devices, under Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vault for Saving. When you get to this window, is the Primary vault set as your vault for saving?

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana,

Yes. On my iPhone and iPad the "Vault for Saving" = Primary.

So I guess I need to change that setting; move entries in Primary to one of the other vaults and then kill or delete Primary.

I won’t do anything until I hear from you as I want to be very careful. I don't want to loose anything I've saved to Primary.

Thanks,

bennett49

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bennett,

Sounds good! You can already change the Vault for Saving, because that will not touch your existing data, so that will be a safe step.

Once you have done that, let's move the data that is currently inside your Primary vault to another one of your vaults in your 1Password.com account. This will take care of the sync issue.

Once you have moved your data to your 1Password account, please check if things are now syncing properly, and then we can take care of removing the Primary vault from your devices as the last step.

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

I've moved everything out of Primary and then deleted the Primary Vault on my iPad.

Everything now appears to be working OK.

bennett49

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ana, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.