Forgot masterpassword

spanzade
spanzade
Community Member

I recently reset the masterpassword and forgot the new password. Is there a way for me to recover the password?
I've all other details i.e. sign in address, e-mail and secretkey.
Please advice as all of my information is stored in and I can't access it. I've been using 1 password for more than 5 years now.
Can I use old old backup with old master password. I remember my old master password.
I also e-mailed but didn't heard anything.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:forgot masterpassword

Comments

• Hi @spanzade

Is there another administrator / organizer on your membership? If so they can help you recover:

Recover accounts for family or team members

If not, it is not possible to recover or reset the Master Password. In that case please see this thread for instructions:

FAQ: I'm locked out of my account (membership) / need to start over

Ben

P.S. I'm sorry about the delay. We typically try to respond to all inquiries within 24 hours, but lately due to volume it has been averaging closer to 48-72 hrs. Now that we've got a dialogue going here I'm going to close your email ticket to avoid duplicating efforts.

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

Thank you Ben!! appreciate your help!

I was able to login to 1password on an apple device (phone) using old masterpassword, but when I'm using the old masterpassword to reset using the app, it is giving me error.
    I'm unable to login to 1password.com using the old masterpassword. what are my options?

Can I add a new member or export all the data and startover?

• @spanzade

On the iPhone if you look for a login item for 1Password.com do you see one? If so does that have the new Master Password recorded on it?

Ben

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

If you are referring to 1password login item: Yes, it does but when I reveal, it clears of the field, also tried to copy and paste didn't work.

• If you tap on the password field and tap Large Type does that reveal the password? If not does looking under Previously Used Passwords on that item give any hints?

Ben

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

Happy Friday!
    I'm just seeing 2 options (copy & reveal) and it doesn't show previously used password options.
    Is there a way I can export all logins or add a new user to this account or change the masterpassword?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

@spanzade

To be clear: you don't see either of these options?

What version of 1Password for iOS do you have installed? You can check on the Settings screen, at the bottom.

Is there a way I can export all logins or add a new user to this account or change the masterpassword?

Not without the correct current Master Password. What you may be able to do is sign up for a new 1Password membership, add that account to your iPhone, and then copy your data from its current location into that new membership.

Ben

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

Correct. I can't see both ('Show in large type' and 'Previously used passwords')

1password iOS version: 7.2.7

can you share the steps for adding a new account and copy your data from its location into the new membership please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@spanzade: That's the version of 1Password, but what version of iOS is your iPhone using? And what is the display scaling/text size set to?

In order to setup the 1Password app with your membership account on any device, you just need to sign into it:

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

From there you can copy items between vaults:

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

Let me know how you get along!

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

Oh!

I think the idea of copy items won't work as it requires me to login to 1password.com when I don't know the masterpassword, old password doesn't work. Please suggest.

See below steps from: https://support.1password.com/add-account/
    In your browser, sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    Select your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps.
    Open and unlock 1Password, then choose Accounts > “Sign in to another account

• @spanzade

Correct. I can't see both ('Show in large type' and 'Previously used passwords')

Could you please send us a screenshot of what you do see?

1. Open the Login item for 1Password.com
    2. Hold your finger on the password field
    3. Take a screenshot of what you see (instructions below)
    4. Email that screenshot to support+forum@1password.com
    5. When you email in you'll get a support ID from BitBot. Please post that ID here. It may take a couple minutes for your email to be processed and the ID to be generated, but if you've sent the message and haven't received a message back within 15 minutes please let me know.

▷ How to take a screenshot

I think the idea of copy items won't work as it requires me to login to 1password.com when I don't know the masterpassword, old password doesn't work. Please suggest.

The idea is to sign up for a new 1Password account, sign in to that account on iOS, and then move all of your data into the vault(s) in that new account. I'd prefer to hold off on that until we verify that you won't be able to recover the Master Password for your current account, as that would be a lot less work for you. :)

Ben

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

Hello Ben: e-mailed at 1:30 CST...still waiting on automated e-mail

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

NVM: Just got the e-mail [#KRM-76738-971]
    Please suggest next steps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I confirm we have received your email @spanzade. We will get back to you over there as soon as possible with the next steps.

Thank you for your patience!

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

sounds good. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• spanzade
    spanzade
    Community Member

you guys are awesome!!! BEN ROCKS!!

Thank you very much for helping me out with this issue, it is now resolved!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @spanzade! I am very happy to hear that this issue is now resolved :)

Have a fantastic Sunday!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree that Ben rocks. Glad he was able to help! We're here for you and the rest of our awesome customers any time. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.