To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Your membership prompt is ruining my 1Password UX. Make it go way!

EricPooley
EricPooley
Community Member

I purchased a standalone license for 1Password on my MacBook and devices, so I'm not supposed to need to become a member or sign in when I you open the app. And yet I am prompted to do so every time I try to use the app; closing the prompt closes 1Password, so I reopen, and there is the prompt and this annoying loop begins again. How do I make this prompt go away?? Thank you

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I purchased a standalone license for 1Password, so I'm not supposed to need to sign in when I you open the app. And yet I am prompted to do so every time I they to use the app, and closing the prompt closes 1Password. Then then loop begins again. How do I make this prompt go away??

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Hi @EricPooley! Welcome to the forum! :)

I’m sorry for the trouble. Did you by chance download 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store?
    The Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Membership accounts, so if you purchased a standalone license for 1Password 7, you will have to download the app directly from our downloads page.

I hope this helps!

• EricPooley
    EricPooley
    Community Member

Thank you. Yes I did download it from the App Store. Do I now have to replace both my OSX and iOS versions with the version of the app on your downloads page? And if so, how do I transfer my data from the App store version to the newly downloaded version? Is it fair for me to say that this all seems quite complicated for a product that is supposed to simplify things?

• @EricPooley

Is it fair for me to say that this all seems quite complicated for a product that is supposed to simplify things?

If that is your impression then it is certainly fair to say so, and I'd like to apologize for that. It certainly isn't our intention to make things more complex than is necessary. I think before we go any further it may help to better explain how you may have ended up in this situation.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. A license for an earlier version of 1Password would not apply. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• EricPooley
    EricPooley
    Community Member

I am likely not the first loyal 1Password customer who feels like the victim of a bait-and-switch here. I bought your app some time ago and used it happily ... only to discover now that monthly fees are being imposed. Had I known this was coming I likely would have gone with one of your competitors.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EricPooley

I bought your app some time ago and used it happily...

We're glad you've been enjoying the version of 1Password you purchased some time ago! :) However, while it's true that the older version you purchased has been retired to legacy status now, no "monthly fees are being imposed" now. As Ben mentioned, a license for an earlier version of 1Password does not apply to the current version 7 (which you've downloaded), but you can purchase a standalone license for the launch special price of $49.99 (a 23% discount off the full retail price of $64.99).

If your previous purchase of 1Password was from the Mac App Store, you can visit the Purchased section there, and re-download the older version if you'd like to continue using that. As a security company, we can't recommend doing so as any kind of long-term solution to the issue you're facing (we recommend you keep all the mission-critical items including OS, browser and 1Password up to date), but - for now - 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store will continue to work, even in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). If you continue to keep your OS and browser(s) up to date (and you should!) that older version of 1Password will likely become decreasingly compatible over time as changes to OS and browser continue to stack up.

This discussion has been closed.