Tried transferring license file to new Mac and wouldn't work

dswihart
dswihart
Community Member

I purchased 1Password as part of a Parallels Bundle back on February 10, 2014 (user 23578). I just bought a new computer and started 1Password on it. After seeing it in "read-only" mode, I searched for how to transfer my license to the new Mac. When I transferred the license file and opened it, it didn't remove the "read-only" restriction. The license file is present in 1Password and seemingly in the correct location in the filing system. Am I missing something?

Transferring 1Password 6 from 2011 iMac running OS X.13.6 to 2016 MacBook Pro running OS X.14.3.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 14.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:parallels Bundle transfer to new Mac

Comments

• Hi @dswihart

That would've been a license for 1Password 6, which has been retired and will no longer be updated. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. When using 1Password without a membership you're responsible for your own sync solution. We do not store your encrypted data. As such you'd need to set something up in order to sync the data from the old computer to the new:

Sync your 1Password data

The best way forward is going to be 1Password membership, which gets you access to the latest versions for all of your compatible devices. It also handles sync, so adding or replacing a device is as simple as signing into your 1Password account.

1Password 7 for Mac requires either a new license purchase or a 1Password membership. A license for an earlier version of 1Password would not apply. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.