1Password X - shortcut with german special characters

With the 1Password extension I used to use cmd+Ä (German Umlaut A) as shortcut to fill browser forms.
In 1Password X these german characters e.g. capital A umlaut (alt + 142 or &Auml) are no longer accepted. At least in chrome OSX 1Password x extension.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.14.1
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @hubers,

Are you able to use shortcuts with umlauts in them for other Chrome extensions? I don't believe we impose any restrictions here. My suspicion is that any restrictions that exist would be coming from Chrome itself. The difference in behavior that you're seeing between 1Password X and the traditional "desktop" browser extension is that with 1Password X it is Chrome that listens for the keyboard shortcut, whereas with the desktop extension it is 1Password for Mac that does the listening. I can say with certainty that 1Password for Mac has more flexibility than Chrome in this regard, because Chrome also does not allow for the default 1Password keyboard shortcut of ⌘\ (command + backslash). That isn't 1Password X's doing... that is Chrome's doing.

Ben

• hubers
    hubers
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

same problem with Firefox. Seems to be a general browser problem that is very much restricting the range of simple shortcuts you can use without being in conflict with general OSX shortcuts.

By the way: What is really annoying for european users with 1Password.eu is, that the dropdown on the login page for 1Password x is listed at the end of the page. Yet you have to switch the dropdown before entering the very long secret key.
    If you forget to switch the dropdown to "1password.eu" you get a "wrong secret key" response what is misleading. And you have to type the secret key in again. It took me several tries to find out about the dropdown ;-)
    Listing the dropdown above the form fields would be self explaining.

Regards

• @hubers

same problem with Firefox. Seems to be a general browser problem that is very much restricting the range of simple shortcuts you can use without being in conflict with general OSX shortcuts.

Understood. Thanks for testing that, and for the feedback. I'll pass this along to our development team to see if there are any improvements we can make on our end to help with this, but I do suspect we're rather limited by the frameworks of the web browsers themselves. If it is of any help, I use ⌘. (command + period) on most machines, and ⌘⇧x (command + shift + x) on machines where that causes a conflict.

Listing the dropdown above the form fields would be self explaining.

I can certainly understand and respect that desire. At this point the vast majority of our customers, even those in Europe and Canada, are using 1Password.com. I suspect the reason this isn't brought to the top is to avoid adding complexity or confusion for those folks. But again I'll be happy to pass the suggestion along to see if the design team might reconsider.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.